M101N Bright Red - So Little Interest?

bbs

I just wanted to say that your posts on the M101N pens have been quite helpful on your website and videos, thank you. It helped me make the decision to try the tortoiseshell brown pen, and I fell in love with it. Now trying to purchase the BB nib unit for it as well as add the others to my collection, one at a time :)

You're welcome!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbs

• ian1964

• Calabria

• sargetalon

Interesting that most people here don't actually own the pen. I wonder who the "brisk" sales are going to. I agree that I'm increasingly not part of Pelikan's target market - that became clear with the reissue M120 at a highly inflated price.

I agree. Pelikan keep jacking up their so called retail price to grab as much $$$ from the initial (much pumped!) anticipation. Then give it a few months and they flood the likes of Massdrop at a much reduced price. Me, I now wait a year or so and grab a bargain from the many online vendors that appear to have NOS,

I agree. Pelikan keep jacking up their so called retail price to grab as much $$$ from the initial (much pumped!) anticipation. Then give it a few months and they flood the likes of Massdrop at a much reduced price. Me, I now wait a year or so and grab a bargain from the many online vendors that appear to have NOS,

Yes, Pelikan prices have been steadily increasing over the years and there is a lot of difference between markets. I doubt the company has anything to do with the likes of Massdrop though. Massdrop works with vendors to secure pens. I have rarely seen any Pelikan go on Massdrop for what I'd call a bargain. You also forego nib swap and domestic warranty support making it even less of a deal. There are vendors that will close out pens at good prices at the end of a product run but I've always seen this as an exception rather than a rule as this isn't at all guaranteed. With discount codes and overseas shopping, you can generally get the best prices to be had up front and not worry about deep discounts later. They just don't happen regularly.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Yes, Pelikan prices have been steadily increasing over the years and there is a lot of difference between markets. I doubt the company has anything to do with the likes of Massdrop though. Massdrop works with vendors to secure pens. I have rarely seen any Pelikan go on Massdrop for what I'd call a bargain. You also forego nib swap and domestic warranty support making it even less of a deal. There are vendors that will close out pens at good prices at the end of a product run but I've always seen this as an exception rather than a rule as this isn't at all guaranteed. With discount codes and overseas shopping, you can generally get the best prices to be had up front and not worry about deep discounts later. They just don't happen regularly.

I have tried Massdrop on a few items, but generally find better prices elsewhere, Amazon or eBay. Recently I wanted a small charger for travel to use with my Lenovo laptop. Found one on Massdrop, then started shopping and found it on a buy it now on eBay for about $30 less.

Regards

Jeff

To be fair, I have only bought the Amethyst edition on Massdrop for $119. But, I have bought a lot over the years from Martini Auctions and have saved lots. I am never in a rush to spend money and so waiting out the initial rush to be first (a modern phenomenon) is fine by me.

I have tried Massdrop on a few items, but generally find better prices elsewhere, Amazon or eBay. Recently I wanted a small charger for travel to use with my Lenovo laptop. Found one on Massdrop, then started shopping and found it on a buy it now on eBay for about $30 less.

It's the strangely low P&P from MD to Australia that makes me a fan. Mostly only about $9! I don't get it but I am grateful.

Interesting that most people here don't actually own the pen. I wonder who the "brisk" sales are going to. I agree that I'm increasingly not part of Pelikan's target market - that became clear with the reissue M120 at a highly inflated price.

Well, I own one! I may not be "brisk" but I'm a "sale".

Sounds like the Yogi Berra quote; "No one goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

Well, I own one! I may not be "brisk" but I'm a "sale".

Sounds like the Yogi Berra quote; "No one goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

Rather like the shopkeeper who said "I keep telling everyone, there is no demand for that item". From what I gather the sales are pretty good.

Peter

I'm certainly a Pelikan fan and want to like what they produce. Mismatching (if it exists) is not an issue to me because a little contrast can be a good thing.. that all being said... I just don't think this is an attractive pen so that keeps if off my radar. Because let's be honest... we want our pens to perform well AND look cool, right! :)

Well, thankfully someone brought up the pricing issue. I've been lurking this post since OP started it but never mentioned it not to pass as "that hobo", but for me the 101N costs just too much.

By the way, is there any specific reason for the price increase?

Edited by sciumbasci

By the way, is there any specific reason for the price increase?

A clever marketing team and the willingness of customers to keeping matching the price rises. The perfect combination for any company really.

"that hobo"

😁😂

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I am still struggling on my decision to get this one-but it would keep my collection complete.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is of interest (or appropriate for this forum -moderators: please remove this if it is inappropriate/incorrect to post) but the Bright Red is now available through massdrop at USD $429 or potentially USD $399 if there are 10 or more purchased. I don't want to take business away from our local retailers, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

I really like the looks of it, but even with massdrop it's too expensive for what it is. I'd love to have one, but not at that price.

"Oh deer."

I have quite a flock of Pelikans, but have slowed down my purchases. The quality control on nibs is sporadic, these big roll outs of tiny pens like the 101n for big bucks doesn't do much for me.

How about M400's, M600's. Everyday pens. M800's come out as special editions for big bucks. Regardless of how popular, when they're gone they're gone. Anything tortoise is always a big hit, but these are far and few in between. I just feel like I'm being used.

I have quite a flock of Pelikans, but have slowed down my purchases. The quality control on nibs is sporadic, these big roll outs of tiny pens like the 101n for big bucks doesn't do much for me.

How about M400's, M600's. Everyday pens. M800's come out as special editions for big bucks. Regardless of how popular, when they're gone they're gone. Anything tortoise is always a big hit, but these are far and few in between. I just feel like I'm being used.

I do think that Pelikan is very good at hype. They're positioning themselves as the market leader and the best way to do that is to trigger our imagination. The LEs also come in all price categories, from M200 to M1000 Raden Starlight. Everybody can play. I think it's clever, but I'm not always gonna play.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I do think that Pelikan is very good at hype. They're positioning themselves as the market leader and the best way to do that is to trigger our imagination. The LEs also come in all price categories, from M200 to M1000 Raden Starlight. Everybody can play. I think it's clever, but I'm not always gonna play.

Agreed.