Vac 700R Came Today!

Driften

I just leave the 700r valve open all the time unless I know I want to sealed up. It does not rattle or bother me in any way. I mostly use it as a desk pen right now. With the valve open it is not very different then any piston filler, but you have the shutoff when you want it.

Maybe I will also get a Vac 700R eventually and use it like you are using it. (Not like a desk pen, but with valve open all the time ) Also I don't have Vac 700 in clear, so that may be another excuse to get Vac 700R.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• iznogood

• 1maddog1

• fjoly79

Is that what has happened to me? Had left my 700r alone for 3 days and when I wen't to use it it was by far the hardest pen to get going again I ever had. Had to unscrew the piston toi get any ink. Once it got going it was fine and has been since. But until I tought to open the valve it was like there was no ink at all in there. I was pretty uch convinced I had, somehow, ruined the pen.

This is not after a long writing session. It is after 3 days just sitting horizontally.

Is that what has happened to me? Had left my 700r alone for 3 days and when I wen't to use it it was by far the hardest pen to get going again I ever had. Had to unscrew the piston toi get any ink. Once it got going it was fine and has been since. But until I tought to open the valve it was like there was no ink at all in there. I was pretty uch convinced I had, somehow, ruined the pen.

This is not after a long writing session. It is after 3 days just sitting horizontally.

The only time my 700r has been hard starting is when I changed my nib and the feed had not fully filled with ink. I have stored mine for days sitting nib up vertically and it puts down a wet line the instant the nib touches paper. I don't think valve closed would cause the issue. There should be enough ink in the section/feed to keep it from being hard starting.

With the valve closed I would think it would keep any ink from draining back into the body. The nib must have dried out and with the valve closed it could not refill it. Does not say why mine stored vertically with the ink way bellow the section with valve open would make a difference. Other then the ink can flood the section and feed the moment I tip it nib down to write.

The only time my 700r has been hard starting is when I changed my nib and the feed had not fully filled with ink. I have stored mine for days sitting nib up vertically and it puts down a wet line the instant the nib touches paper. I don't think valve closed would cause the issue. There should be enough ink in the section/feed to keep it from being hard starting.

With the valve closed I would think it would keep any ink from draining back into the body. The nib must have dried out and with the valve closed it could not refill it. Does not say why mine stored vertically with the ink way bellow the section with valve open would make a difference. Other then the ink can flood the section and feed the moment I tip it nib down to write.

Seems fine now. it's possible I did not close the cap tightly enough. Also it is a extra fine nib. Love then penn it has only "failed" me once.

Well, it looks wonderful and thank you for the explanation. I love my 700 though in this last year, it has been used very little. I was trying to use a whole bunch of different inks so small ink capacity was important. I'm glad to get back to large ink capacity pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hope you like it.

It's been inked for a couple of days and so far I like it a lot. I really like the size and heft of the pen. I have big hands, and it feels good to me. I'll also enjoy the ink capacity. The EF nib exhibits some feedback, but is far from scratchy. It writes well at a variety of angles, too, which is not true for all EF nibs, in my experience. Mine is really wet when inked with DeAtramentis Document Red. Again, that's a plus for me. There is a pretty distinct ridge where the section comes together with the body. I feel it, but it's not bothersome to me. It might be for others.

So far, so good.

I'm not a big fountain pen connaisseur and my "collection" is not substantial (still over 40 pens) but my Twsbi diamond mini aluminium (1.1mm stub) and now my vac 700r (extra fine) are impressing me a LOT.

For little transparent pens they are surprisingly nice looking. But it's how they write. For some reason my hands, posture, everything about how I write is well suited to the Twsbi's. I have to get some of the other models!

Really need to try out the 1.1mm stub on the vac700r. My mini is such a fantastic writter.

I'm not a big fountain pen connaisseur and my "collection" is not substantial (still over 40 pens) but my Twsbi diamond mini aluminium (1.1mm stub) and now my vac 700r (extra fine) are impressing me a LOT.

Really need to try out the 1.1mm stub on the vac700r. My mini is such a fantastic writter.

The 1.1 in the V700r is wider then in the mini/eco. The version you are used to is more of a 0.8-0.9mm stub. At least mine is. Not sure how wide my Vac700r 1.1 is I have a gold fine nib in at the moment.

The 1.1 in the V700r is wider then in the mini/eco. The version you are used to is more of a 0.8-0.9mm stub. At least mine is. Not sure how wide my Vac700r 1.1 is I have a gold fine nib in at the moment.

I knew that! ;-) Was wondering why my mini was smaller than my other stubs/italics (parson's essential, kaweko, sport, etc..) and found a thread here talking about all that.

But thanks of course!!

Nice pens gentlemen! I really like these, if I'm not mistaken there is a specialized TWSBI inkwell that fits this pen and the mini.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

Nice pens gentlemen! I really like these, if I'm not mistaken there is a specialized TWSBI inkwell that fits this pen and the mini.

Yes there is the Vac20 inkwell that will make it cleaner and easier to fill. I don't have one yet but have been thinking about getting one. You can fill it from normal bottles though.

Can this fancy pen be used with iron gall inks such as ESSRI, or the metal rod would corrode?

Can this fancy pen be used with iron gall inks such as ESSRI, or the metal rod would corrode?

I think I remember one of the Goulet videos him says the metal rod in the 700/VacMini would not corrode, but it would not hurt sending TWSBI an email to make sure. Nothing in the papers that come with it say anything about not using iron gall inks.

A few forum members have reported corrosion/discolouration using KWZ iron gall inks - so I'd suggest some care is advisable!

Besides corrosion of steel rod, barrel can get stained. So it is better to use inks known to be gentle on pens in such a beautiful pen.

• 1 month later...

I had a problem with my Vac 700 developing a very tight piston. So tight that the “piston seal” would come off rather than moving when the rod was pulled back. I sent it to TWSBI (Philip) and he diagnosed the issue as being the result of the iron gall Mont Blanc Midnight Blue:

I put on some new pistons for you because the old ones have been expanded and eroded too much so they dont stay on. I would honestly not use iron gall inks in piston filler or vac filler fountain pens. It is fine in a cartridge pen but the iron gall inks tend to erode and eat away at materials very quickly. That is why the pistons have become the way they were on your old parts. If you continue to use iron gall it will happen again 100%.

So, Philip says that iron gall ink expands and erodes the seals. Too bad. MBMB is my favorite. The pen would be relegated to the drawer if it were not for TWSBI’S excellent service. 5th cap in 4 years, but still my every day carry. I did not experience staining of the barrel or see any effect on the steel parts..

I had a problem with my Vac 700 developing a very tight piston. So tight that the “piston seal” would come off rather than moving when the rod was pulled back. I sent it to TWSBI (Philip) and he diagnosed the issue as being the result of the iron gall Mont Blanc Midnight Blue:

I put on some new pistons for you because the old ones have been expanded and eroded too much so they dont stay on. I would honestly not use iron gall inks in piston filler or vac filler fountain pens. It is fine in a cartridge pen but the iron gall inks tend to erode and eat away at materials very quickly. That is why the pistons have become the way they were on your old parts. If you continue to use iron gall it will happen again 100%.

Very interesting! I wonder if it would also be a problem in their piston fill pens. Thanks for the warning. I had thought about trying a iron gall ink some day. Now I will do it in some other pen.

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased one from Gouletpens.com; it arrived in perfect condition, tried it, found the fine nib to be a little scratchy though. I also had a Goulet 1.1 mm stub, so I substituted the TWSBI Fine nib with the Goulet 1.1 mm stub. I loved it! then I reinstalled the TWSBI Fine nib, it feels it works better, smoother. Perhaps it's only a matter of perception, but I think I did a better job than the manufacturer when I reinstalled the fine nib! :lticaptd:

Jokes aside, I like the TWSBI Vac 700R: great ink capacity (using it with a Pilot Black ink, mainly for drawings, but good writing pen too); the only think I dislike is the plastic-feel it has, but for a pen of that category (in the $20.00 range) it's is a very decent pen.

François

did your pen come with a gold fine nib?