Vac 700R Came Today!

Driften

Today was new pen day. The Vac 700R I ordered Friday when they went on sale showed up in my mailbox. I have not had much time to do more then wash it out and fill it. I love the feel of the pen so far. It's a nice weight for me. It excludes quality compared to the ECO's I have. I find the section comfortable to hold and the step of the thread to the body does not bother me at all.

I ordered it with the 1.1 Stub after I had so much fun with that nib on the ECO. I do like the smaller line size better on the ECO's nib, but if I am doing larger writing this will be nice. I wanted to pair the pen up with my favorite ink (Kon-Peki) but I did not have enough to cover the section. I was only able to get a small amount of that ink in the pen. So took one of my full bottles of blue-black ink in this case Private Reserve Midnight Blues. It will do until I can order some bottles of the colors of ink I like better these days. I was able to get an almost complete fill by doing the normal 1/2 fill then turning it nib up and pushing the air out before finishing the fill stroke in the bottle. That got it to about 90% which might as well be full.

The nib puts down a wet line. It feathers easy on junk paper and is juicy on Rhodia Dot Pad. It does not bleed though the 80 g/m2 paper. I need lots of practice with stub nibs so forgive my hand writing. I have not written enough with the pen to know if it will keep up the flow after a few pages with the valve open. So far I don't expect it to have the issue the old 700 did.

The pen still has the 700's satin clip with its textured finish. The only thing I don't like about this pen is the nib sits to the right/left of the clip when the cap is on fully. Don't know why but on a demonstrator I am a bit fussy about the nib lining up with the clip. Guess I should learn to get over that.

I can see myself ordering the F nib as well as the Vac20 bottle in the future.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-1.jpg

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-2.jpg

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-3.jpg

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-5.jpg

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-4.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• iznogood

• 1maddog1

• fjoly79

Congratulations, it looks like a lovely pen, I'm just waiting for them to get to the UK.

It's like waiting for Christmas, both The Writing Desk and Cult Pens told me they're anticipating delivery this week. :notworthy1:

My pictures don't do the pen justice. The couple of dealers I checked here in the US also don't show them in stock so I guess I was right in buying it direct from TWSBI. They must have put it for sale the same time they started shipping to dealers.

Not long after I posted The Writing Desk showed stock so I pulled the trigger and it should be with me in a couple of days; but you did the right thing ordering from TWSBI.

Looking forward to hearing how you find the pen when you've had a little more time with it.

Al

Just got mine! Took extra fine I am in need of a good extra fine pen. Just got it so not much to say except it's flawless as of yet, was fun to fill and the nib is great.

What the beep! Twsbi the clip is like chalkboard I get shivers every time I touch it. Something's getting buffed out. Damn

http://i.imgur.com/5zDwpi0.jpg?1

Edited by iznogood

I am thinking I should have gotten F instead of 1.1 stub, but can see wanting both. Just still getting used to such a bold line. I agree the finish on the clip is not my favorite, but does not bother me too much. I hope your 700r works out well for you!

I am thinking I should have gotten F instead of 1.1 stub, but can see wanting both. Just still getting used to such a bold line. I agree the finish on the clip is not my favorite, but does not bother me too much. I hope your 700r works out well for you!

My diamond mini silver has the 1.1 stub and I love it a lot. I plan on getting the stub for my vac700r eventually. The pen is huge!

http://i.imgur.com/YLKQubP.jpg?1

with two Jinhao's x450

http://i.imgur.com/rO1yPpb.jpg?1

The size was part of the reason I wanted to try the 700r. It's bigger and heavier then my other fountain pens. One thing to note the #6 nib on the 700r's tend to write wider then the smaller nibs on the mini or eco. The 1.1 stub on my Eco is about perfect to me, when the 1.1 on the 700r is a little too wide for the size of writing I normally do, but if I was writing bigger for a special purpose the wider 1.1 would show off great. I don't regret the 1.1 on the 700r its just not as every day as I would like. I think I will swap in a F nib soon.

The size was part of the reason I wanted to try the 700r. It's bigger and heavier then my other fountain pens. One thing to note the #6 nib on the 700r's tend to write wider then the smaller nibs on the mini or eco. The 1.1 stub on my Eco is about perfect to me, when the 1.1 on the 700r is a little too wide for the size of writing I normally do, but if I was writing bigger for a special purpose the wider 1.1 would show off great. I don't regret the 1.1 on the 700r its just not as every day as I would like. I think I will swap in a F nib soon.

Yeah I did read the thread where they discussed that since I was wondering why my 1.1mm on my mini was smaller than other 1.1mm I own. I'll see how I like the pen before I invest in a second nib.

I decided to try a Bock #6 14k gold F nib in the 700r and it worked no problem. It was a left over I had from when I hand made pens. It was a special run by a guy that was supplying pen makers. He no longer does that but I have some #6's and #5's left over.

So people have standard #6's as an option as well as what TWSBI has to offer. Sorry about the fuzzy second picture. A little too much hand shake.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-Gold1.jpg

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/TWSBI-700r-Gold2.jpg

They look great. So tell us, what is the difference between the Vac700 and the Vac700R?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

They look great. So tell us, what is the difference between the Vac700 and the Vac700R?

They made changes to the way the seal connects to the section and the shape inside the section to improve ink flow. Nothing else seems to have been changed at all.

Looks nice. I've been wanting a Vac 700 as my TWSBI. I'm waiting for one to show up in the slightly used section somewhere with a F nib. But I need a good demonstrator for my red ink.

Actually here is an image that shows the difference

17457847_1423419844366792_46314858382005

I have Vac 700 and have removed that small rubber seal so that I don't have to open the valve every time I plan to write long session. But this seems impossible with Vac 700R as it has only one rubber seal.

I just leave the 700r valve open all the time unless I know I want to sealed up. It does not rattle or bother me in any way. I mostly use it as a desk pen right now. With the valve open it is not very different then any piston filler, but you have the shutoff when you want it.