Aurora 88 Serial Number And Year Estimation

praxim

Having read several times about this attempt to establish a date based on the serial number, I had already expressed my doubts, due to the fact that the assumptions with which the correspondence tables were constructed were completely arbitrary, lacking a certain dating of any specimen of this pen that would allow to associate a number to a date.

Today this is no longer true, since it has been possible to ascertain with certainty that the number 26921 was sold on September 27, 1948 (the images of the pen with the warranty card with the date can be seen on this page: https://forum.fountainpen.it/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23439).
This certainly allows to disprove the initial part of the above mentioned tables. The production of the first years was certainly much slower than what is reported in these tables.

One point, however, is still too little to give an estimate, even a very rough one, of the trend of the distribution.

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• sansenri

• jnb

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just found this thread, so I'll add to it!

88, number 1529497 g/f cap. In dire need of some tlc, which it will get :)

(I have a better 88 and a K which I've put somewhere rather too safe, along with some other stuff...)

• 3 weeks later...

As an aside, Praxim doesn't seem to have been around since the tail end of last year.  I'm hoping he's OK.  He was a huge help to me when I replaced the piston seal on my wonderful Aquila just over 2 years ago.    

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have two Aurora 88s. Both with gold caps. One is 1529031 with a semi-flex nib. The other 1678230, with a fine nib. I think both have celluloid barrels, with hard rubber sections and piston turning knob. Both from sometime in the 50s I suppose.

• 4 months later...

I was missing one 88K on my small collection and found one in an Italian antiques shop. It has one odd serial number, it starts with a J. The pen is printed with the aurora oval with the 88K inside, a line with the brand Aurora, a line with Made in Italy and a nib size M and a code 33. Can anyone tell me the meaning of this serial? It is similar to the one on the Spanish models (in this case J-nnnnn). And what about the number 33 placed under the letter of the nib size?

I can upload some pictures tomorrow if it helps.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Two      952949 and 560808

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Aurora 88 (gold filled cap) - 1582259

I purchased this on Ebay several years ago.  I've included photos of the pen and the case received.  Thank you for working on this, Praxim, and I hope all is well!

20221013_223519.jpg

20221013_223454.jpg

20221013_223546.jpg

20221013_223604.jpg

20221013_223823.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello!

I just purchased a second-hand Aurora and it came with this certificate in the box. Is this the serial number? I,offer this to help your project but also to hopefully learn more about the pen.  It has a gold cap and body. 

thank you!

image.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 9:43 PM, L A Brown said:

Hello!

I just purchased a second-hand Aurora and it came with this certificate in the box. Is this the serial number? I,offer this to help your project but also to hopefully learn more about the pen.  It has a gold cap and body. 

thank you!

image.jpg

Yes, that's the serial number, but is seems too high for an Aurora 88. It's probably an 88K one. 

Anyway please note, "this project" is obsolete and the extimated  Serial Number And Year Estimation are plain wrong. Providing only serial numbers without the relevant date of manufacture or sale is basically useless.

All the number reported here have no reference to a production or selling date and this is unfortunately normal, because except for the first few years of production, the selling date for warranty was never written in the sheets that came with the pen, which only show serial number, nib size and testing signature. 

Thats because warranty was issued by the shop selling the pen, that almost never noted it on the papers.  The only date known, found written on an original accompaining papers is, as I said before, September 27, 1948 for # 26921. I recently found another on for # 400762, dated June 6, 1950. More information about this is on this wiki page: https://www.fountainpen.it/Aurora_88 but sorry, it's in Italian. 

Anyway 678938 in 1948 and 1238063 in 1950 as said on the table on page 1 are plain wrong. It's quite clear (and also reasonable) that sales started slowly and then grew very fast with the success of the pen after the 1950s.

I will try to update information here if I found new documented number-date correspondences.

Regards

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)