Does Anyone *not* Like Lamy Dark Lilac Ink?

Mercian

Hi folks,

I am still feeling sulky (and pouting) because LAMY, in its wisdom, refused to sell 'Dark Lilac' ink in bottles to those of us in Europe.

I can't understand why, after it rapidly sold out everywhere, they did not make/commission a second batch of it.

Then I realised that the answer must be that there is no demand for it; or at least certainly not enough to justify their making a second batch.

This seems completely unpossible to me, but then I lurve purple, and am also often out-of-step with the preferences of the majority of consumers.

I mean sure, I really like 'Dark Lilac', but that does not mean that everyone else (or even lots of other people) also like it.

So, I would like to ask FPN this:

did any of you buy it and find that it left you feeling totally 'meh' about it?

Did any of you buy it, only to find that you dislike it?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

M.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• migo984

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought dark lilac cartridges. It is OK, but not overwhelming to me. I usually like these shades of violet or purple to be darker, but this ink wasn't too bad. It is a bit darker than Lamy violet ink. I am using the cartridges, and the ink isn't bad, but it is not worth all the hoopla swirling and meandering around it. Someone here posted that De Atrementis aubergine ink is just about the same, and I agree. Seitz-Kreuznach dark orchid ink also seems close. I suppose that Lamy didn't buy enough "dark lilac" ink for sustained sales, because they knew there were competitive inks available in about the same color. The Lamy dark lilac is not a crummy ink, but there's nothing really special about it. It will probably be a collectible for the Lamy partisans.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Ask Empty_of_Clouds. He may still have a bottle or two and as I recall was not keen on it.

X

I bought five cartridge packs but haven't dared to touch them yet. So... precious. :lol:

I bought the pen, a coupla bottles of the ink & liked them both. Neither were life changing, but seldom is ANY ink I use. The joy of all of them for me is the discovery of the inks & after each new "gotta have it ink" arrives, it is enjoyed, frequently shared & sometimes given away. There will surely be another, as there always is & that includes the Parker Penman's, discontinued Caran d'Aches, Montblancs, etc. They are "usually" available sometime, even if only @ a higher price.

I think the ink is most valuable as part of a Lamy Safari collection. I liked the ink. If it were offered regularly, I would use it. Prôbably the cartridges will suffice.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I did not like it. Too dark, looked almost black. Bought 3 bottles, gave 2 away.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I didn't think that I would like it so much. I love it & am glad I found 5 bottles of it. I did give 1 bottle away because I thought I really had too much & a friend of mine should enjoy it also.

Pictures here showed grand shading. I finally got around to getting off my DA, in November. Nothing at my B&;M, which even called up Lamy for me (Just 15 minutes down the road from me.) They sent me to the Lamy store on the 'main' street of Heidelberg a 3 mile pedestrian ...way, way a way. They got some in March and were out by May. No more was made.

This thread is the first that didn't :notworthy1: :drool: :puddle: only.

If was only a dark violet .... :bunny01: ,,,,but it was supposed to be great with two sharp tone shading. :happyberet: :drool:.... :crybaby:

Well now I feel a bit better, than when it was the greatest ink since Penmann Sapphire and MB Racing Green.

Well there were many, Gasthous's between the Lamy only shop and the next bus out to the street cars. I drowned my sorrows at the Beer Museum. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I love it. I bought a bottle and a pack of cartridges based on reviews and pictures on this site. Once I received it and realised how much I liked it I bought 2 more bottles and another pack of cartridges. I have about 3 cartridges left and have almost finished my first bottle.

I buy only one bottle of each ink until such time that it is proven that I can finish a bottle of ink.

X

I did not like it. Too dark, looked almost black. Bought 3 bottles, gave 2 away.

That's interesting. I find dark lilac isn't nearly dark enough. I have added Lamy black to a cartridge, 2 parts black to 1 part dark lilac. The darker the ink, the easier it is for me to read.

That's interesting. I find dark lilac isn't nearly dark enough. I have added Lamy black to a cartridge, 2 parts black to 1 part dark lilac. The darker the ink, the easier it is for me to read.

Here's a topic with some shots of DL that show the dark color I got (two pens but similar results in other pens I tried).

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/311109-too-much-gold-sheen/?hl=%2Btoo+%2Bmuch+%2Bgold+%2Bsheen

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I didn't like it but I can't say I share the excitement about this ink either. I was expecting to love it, it did not happen, especially since dark purple is a color I love.

I really liked it. I'm sorry I didn't get a third bottle. But at the moment I'm not actually using it, because I'm kinda like Barkingpig: each new ink I try and like is a new adventure. Or, you *could* say I'm fickle.... B)

At the moment, I'm rocking Edelstein Tanzanite, which is a blue-black that doesn't lean teal the way so many blue-black inks do and is behaving perfectly in the new M405 with the EF nib. And I've been having fun playing with De Atramentis Sky Blue in the TWSBI 580AL with a B nib. Of course, I've also been having to do some research and taking copious notes and have mostly been using a 51 Vac with an EF nib (sporting vintage Quink Microfilm Black) and a Noodler's Charlie eyedropper (newly refilled with Noodler's Heart of Darkness).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I really liked it. I'm sorry I didn't get a third bottle. But at the moment I'm not actually using it, because I'm kinda like Barkingpig: each new ink I try and like is a new adventure. Or, you *could* say I'm fickle.... B)

At the moment, I'm rocking Edelstein Tanzanite, which is a blue-black that doesn't lean teal the way so many blue-black inks do and is behaving perfectly in the new M405 with the EF nib. And I've been having fun playing with De Atramentis Sky Blue in the TWSBI 580AL with a B nib. Of course, I've also been having to do some research and taking copious notes and have mostly been using a 51 Vac with an EF nib (sporting vintage Quink Microfilm Black) and a Noodler's Charlie eyedropper (newly refilled with Noodler's Heart of Darkness).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I love lamy dark lilac, but I am also on the Pelikan Tanzanite ride. Almost every pen I have loaded at the moment is with PE Tanzanite!

I just received a sample or two of Dark Lilac and have it loaded in my Al Star with a 1.1 nib. On Tomoe River I am not seeing the so called amazing shading AT ALL. Maybe it will be better in a wetter pen. I do like purples and have a couple of others. (Akkerman Voorhout Violet, Sterling Violet possibly others.) I like it, but sorry folks, I like Lamy Pacific BETTER.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I just received a sample or two of Dark Lilac and have it loaded in my Al Star with a 1.1 nib. On Tomoe River I am not seeing the so called amazing shading AT ALL. Maybe it will be better in a wetter pen.[/b]

If the pen is wet the sheen on TR paper will be amazing!