Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• delhirox

• Jamerelbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on FPN! I am planning on placing an order for 1 or 2 pens today.

After looking at pics from past group buys, I saw here in #294, fifth image that ayami's eyedropper pen has a hole in the cap.

For people who have Ranga eyedroppers, is that something common across the board?

Can we request them not to put the hole in the cap?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on FPN! I am planning on placing an order for 1 or 2 pens today.

After looking at pics from past group buys, I saw here in #294, fifth image that ayami's eyedropper pen has a hole in the cap.

For people who have Ranga eyedroppers, is that something common across the board?

Thanks in advance!

Hole in the cap is a common feature of indian ebonite pens across most manufacturers. It helps with the air pressure to ensure you are not surprised with ink when you open the cap. Also, it is hardly noticeable. If you are really concerned about the looks, I would suggest picking a darker colour. My suggestion, if you are planning to ever use this pen as an eye dropper, is to make peace with the hole.

You could also speak to Mr Kandan and get a better understanding. I am sure he may even adhere to your request, if you really feel strong about it.

Edited by Mihir

Hole in the cap is a common feature of indian ebonite pens across most manufacturers. It helps with the air pressure to ensure you are not surprised with ink when you open the cap. Also, it is hardly noticeable. If you are really concerned about the looks, I would suggest picking a darker colour. My suggestion, if you are planning to ever use this pen as an eye dropper, is to make peace with the hole.

You could also speak to Mr Kandan and get a better understanding. I am sure he may even adhere to your request, if you really feel strong about it.

Thank you for the response Mihir.

Appreciate the clarification!

This is my impression too - though the last 3 pens I've purchased from Ranga (via these group buys) have all been without a hole. This may be because I chose to go the cartridge converter route (though they can be used as eyedroppers), and/or because I ordered clipless pens - but I think Mr Kandan would be happy to agree to your request, if you want an eyedropper pen without a hole in the cap. You'll just have to be aware that this could cause you some issues: unscrewing and uncapping the pen can produce a pressure differential that draws ink up into the cap (that's the theory, anyway, though I've never encountered it) - resulting in an inky mess.

This is my impression too - though the last 3 pens I've purchased from Ranga (via these group buys) have all been without a hole. This may be because I chose to go the cartridge converter route (though they can be used as eyedroppers), and/or because I ordered clipless pens - but I think Mr Kandan would be happy to agree to your request, if you want an eyedropper pen without a hole in the cap. You'll just have to be aware that this could cause you some issues: unscrewing and uncapping the pen can produce a pressure differential that draws ink up into the cap (that's the theory, anyway, though I've never encountered it) - resulting in an inky mess.

Thank you Jamerelbe!

Btw, I saw your Ranga pens in other threads and ADORE your collection :)

Dear All,

Thanks for your grand response.

Shipping update: We have started shipping on today.

All packages in first batch will be sent in 1-2 weeks.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Dear Sir,

1.1 nib is available now.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Do I need to modify my order form, or will the request in the notes of the original order form suffice ?

Kevin - Semper Fi

Do I need to modify my order form, or will the request in the notes of the original order form suffice ?

Just send your preference to my email mpkandan@yahoo.co.in

Dear All,

Thanks for your grand response.

Shipping update: We have started shipping on today.

All packages in first batch will be sent in 1-2 weeks.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Kandan.

Looking forward to seeing pics and receiving our pens!

Edited by delhirox

Just submitted a very last minute form for a flat top in a polished rose-red/mauve ripple with an EF black Jowo nib

There was no option to select the nib i wanted, but the black Jowo nibs were mentioned as available in an email from Ranga about this groupbuy. Therefore i added my selection into the comments box. Hope that it will be clear enough.

Edited by Ayami_109

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, after i posted that review i filled my pen up to the brim as an eyedropper. The hole didnt bother me when i used the pen. In fact i only noticed it when i looked for it. The hole didn't contribute to any drying issues either. Nib was always wet and ready. Pen was inked for a good two months before i finally finished the ink. The pen was very well behaved save for the burping when the ink was running low. The hole probably prevented ink burping the rest of the time.

Forms submitted, but some confusion. I submitted an order for colour #13, edited it, and got back two different confirmations. The correct one is clipless. The other one, colour #17, is correct. Both are pending questions I've already asked Mr. Kandan, he will know what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Hi there, after i posted that review i filled my pen up to the brim as an eyedropper. The hole didnt bother me when i used the pen. In fact i only noticed it when i looked for it. The hole didn't contribute to any drying issues either. Nib was always wet and ready. Pen was inked for a good two months before i finally finished the ink. The pen was very well behaved save for the burping when the ink was running low. The hole probably prevented ink burping the rest of the time.

Thanks Ayami. This helps!

I ended up ordering 2 eyedroppers.

Thanks Ayami. This helps!

I ended up ordering 2 eyedroppers.

Glad it helped! What colour and finish did you order? It took me ages to pick something; so many choices!!

Would be great to see pictures when everybody's pens arrive!

Glad it helped! What colour and finish did you order? It took me ages to pick something; so many choices!!

Would be great to see pictures when everybody's pens arrive!

I ordered 1 mottled brown and 1 olive ripple. It took me ages as well!

Your choice of rose-red/mauve-ripple was the one that I was leaning heavily towards.

I told myself I would get it next time :)

If you have both eyedropper and cartridge/converters from Ranga, how would you compare the two?

Eagerly looking forward to pics!

I ordered 1 mottled brown and 1 olive ripple. It took me ages as well!

Your choice of rose-red/mauve-ripple was the one that I was leaning heavily towards.

I told myself I would get it next time :)

If you have both eyedropper and cartridge/converters from Ranga, how would you compare the two?

Eagerly looking forward to pics!

I've been eyeing the mottled brown for a while. As you know I got the mottled green for the Model 8 and the pattern was lovely, reminded me of marble. I'm sure your mottled brown won't disappoint!

I do have both the eyedropper and cartridge converter. I personally prefer CC because I don't write very often. Even a converter can take at least a month to finish, especially if I have 3 or 4 pens inked. I also like really big oversized pens (like the model 5) due to the thick grip section. However an eyedropper holds a ton of ink, and even more so for oversized pens. I can't partially fill the pen with an ED due to possible burping, but a CC is more forgiving in this case. BUT I must admit that the Ed pens are an absolute bargain for the quality of craftsmanship. And despite fewer nib choices, the Indian nibs for the ED perform really well. ED pens are wetter to write with too, which is nice but you do get a thicker line. I generally prefer a finer line but hey, plenty of people like thick juicy lines. So having said all that it is pretty clear that for me it is down to wallet-friendly vs being more practical. So far it's one ED and two CC Ranga pens. I

Oh an another thing to consider is nib swapping. The Jowo nibs for the CC are nifty as they screw out. I got the JW black oxide nib this time and I'm excited that I'll be able to try it out in my other pens. If I get an ED next time, I might upgrade for the Conklin (made by Bock) nib as I got two other Conklin pens with different nib sizes. Again, boils down to practicality. :D

Last group buy I told myself it'd be my last pen, but here we go again! I'm a sucker for ebonite so yeah... I'm already anticipating the next group buy.