Platinum Classic Ink - Lavender Black Iron Gall

julia239

fpn_1490813235__e_classic_ink_02.jpg

fpn_1490813286__e_lavender_black_01.jpg

Lavender Black is one of the six colors in Platinum's new Classic Line of iron gall inks. The press release for the Classic Line says that they placed emphasis on shading and the color change "with the aim to enhance the joy of using fountain pens." Each color is meant to start bright and then fade/darken to black over time.
I didn't see a significant color change with Lavender; it does change, but it is slight and happens fairly quickly. I didn't realize it was happening at first because my hand was casting a fairly dark shadow over my writing & by the time the shadow was off, most of the color change had already happened. Over the next few days, there was a slight darkening, but it remains the color in the review. (I never saw the somewhat electric purple in the color swab under the bottle in the promotional image.)
There is some fairly significant color variation between pens, which I am somewhat at a loss to account for. I know it looks like the MB on Tomoe River had water in it, but I had been using for a while before that; that combination just didn't show well. The very dry Vanishing Point also didn't seem to bring out the best in the ink.
Overall, I found Lavender Black to be most pleasing on more absorbent paper, like Rhodia, with wetter and more flexible nibs.

fpn_1490807542__platinum_lavender_black_

fpn_1490807561__platinum_lavender_black_

fpn_1490807596__platinum_lavender_black_

Writing Samples on Rhodia Dotpad

fpn_1490807579__platinum_lavender_black_

Writing Samples on Tomoe River

fpn_1490807610__platinum_lavender_black_

fpn_1490807627__platinum_lavender_black_

Writing Samples on Clairefontaine Triomphe

fpn_1490807642__platinum_lavender_black_

fpn_1490807657__platinum_lavender_black_

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julia239

• amberleadavis

• Tasmith

• visvamitra

I never wanted to get a whole serie of ink just because they were in "a set", but this one.....I like & want all of them!!

Thanks for your comprehensive review! The comparison done with different pens is especially informative. Btw I love your handwriting :wub:

Oh my, look at the shading on that. I may need it. (And I need an IG ink for our ink-a-week series.) :) Thanks!

Very nice review. I might enjoy this one. Do you have other colors - I'm especially curious about Khakhi and Citrus.

Unfortunately I don't have Khaki or Citrus. I purchased Cassis and Lavender at a small show & then Vanness gave me a free sample of Sepia. The Khaki looked okay, but I thought the Citrus looked like a very dirty yellow, as if someone didn't clean out a pen before inking up with a perfectly nice yellow. Even though I know others will like it, it was not a color for me.

After a previous review I thought that the Cassis was the must-have ink, but now it is the Lavender. It's got to be one of the two. Hmm! This one? Or that one? I hate choices.

Cheers,

David.

Great review!

Now that a little while as passed, did it darken?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This one looks very nice (although I'm not sure where they got the name from -- I think of "lavender" as being more of a blue-leaning color than a red/pink-leaning one.

Thanks for the review. And not. The spreadsheet of inks I want to get is growing longer and longer.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Unfortunately I don't have Khaki or Citrus. I purchased Cassis and Lavender at a small show & then Vanness gave me a free sample of Sepia. The Khaki looked okay, but I thought the Citrus looked like a very dirty yellow, as if someone didn't clean out a pen before inking up with a perfectly nice yellow. Even though I know others will like it, it was not a color for me.

I saw Sepia on Platinum's website and it looks interesting, like aged-faded Iron Gall from several hundred years ago.

Great review!

Now that a little while as passed, did it darken?

Not noticeably. I keep hoping, but so far, it is very stubborn. I did wonder if the paper choices might be affecting it, so I did another set of tests on some OCM paper (and on stone paper just to see what would happen). I'll post them after the weekend.

This one looks very nice (although I'm not sure where they got the name from -- I think of "lavender" as being more of a blue-leaning color than a red/pink-leaning one.

Thanks for the review. And not. The spreadsheet of inks I want to get is growing longer and longer.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Their names seem to be more interpretive than descriptive. Maybe something got lost in translation?

Not noticeably. I keep hoping, but so far, it is very stubborn. I did wonder if the paper choices might be affecting it, so I did another set of tests on some OCM paper (and on stone paper just to see what would happen). I'll post them after the weekend.

It may take years. We look forward to seeing them in action. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This is a very interesting set that Platinum has created. When I first saw them at La Couronne du Comte, I didn't think they were very appealing. The more I see them, the more I like them...to the point that I am considering buying the entire set. Thanks so much for the review, Julia! Iron gall inks are sure growing on me.

Mary

• 2 years later...

I'm surprised by how much sheen one could get from it when laid thickly on paper:

fpn_1557634812__sheen_from_platinum_lave

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.