truthpil

Hi All,

Since Noodler's Waterproof Burgundy is no longer around, is there any waterproof (or incredibly water-resistant) burgundy ink on the market??

I've got waterproof inks in every major color except burgundy and it's driving me crazy!

I'm also dreading the thought of having to mix my own with De Atramentis Document inks.

Thanks!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

• ParkerDuofold

You should consider Iron Galls. KWZi IG inks are fantastic, and he has a great collection of colors.

When choosing Iron Galls, make sure you look at the "dry" (oxidize) color. For example IG Red (or IG Red #3) they both start as a bright red but they end up (after oxidation) much darker. One will darken to a dark burgundy the other to a red brown.

Check reviews in the Ink Review Forum.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks, Cyber6, I've been thinking about the KWZI's for a while.

The IG Turquoise was calling me a few months back, but I plugged my ears because the shipping to where I am would cost more than the ink. :headsmack:

Do his IG inks write dry like most do?

Too many of my pens are dry writers that need something juicy.

Thanks, Cyber6, I've been thinking about the KWZI's for a while.

The IG Turquoise was calling me a few months back, but I plugged my ears because the shipping to where I am would cost more than the ink. :headsmack:

Do his IG inks write dry like most do?

Too many of my pens are dry writers that need something juicy.

I have good news for you my friend. I believe you can find KWZi in China (or maybe is Japan)... I just saw it in an asian publication (apologies that I cannot remember which country)... Let me find the link.

KWZi IG's are the wettest Iron Galls you can find. In terms of Iron Galls... they have nice lubrication and in general I would not consider them dry. That is one of the beauties of KWZi.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for that! No such luck getting in China, so it looks like an order to my parents' place in the States is in order. :P

It's hard to tell from the scans....is it the IG Red that turns brown after oxidation or the IG Red #3? I wan't the one that turns more burgundy, not brown.

Do De Atramentis still sell a set of their everything-proof 'Document' inks as a CMYK mixing set for artists?

If you can find a CMYK reference for the shade of burgundy that you desire, you could create it by mixing those together in the appropriate proportions.

There is a review of the set here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/277866-de-atramentis-permanent-document-inks-cmyk-artists-box/

Cheers,

M :)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

How about that new Cassis IG? I think it was a lot more burgundy than pink.

Oh, and if you can find it, Swisher had a waterproof burgundy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh, what about Noodler's Red-Black? It's a burgundy and it's waterproof.

fpn_1351881414__noodlers_red-black_water

What?!?! Platinum has a new line of water resistant inks?? Where have I been!? This looks absolutely perfect and is probably easily acquired over here. Thanks so much for the information!

Thanks for the writing sample. I wasn't aware that the red component was also water resistant. Usually just the black component is with those semi-bulletproof noodler's inks. That's my problem with Black Swan in English Roses.

I hope I enabled helped.

These are definitely getting closer.

My dream is for a waterproof Diamine Syrah.

Do De Atramentis still sell a set of their everything-proof 'Document' inks as a CMYK mixing set for artists?

If you can find a CMYK reference for the shade of burgundy that you desire, you could create it by mixing those together in the appropriate proportions.

There is a review of the set here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/277866-de-atramentis-permanent-document-inks-cmyk-artists-box/

Cheers,

M :)

This is what I was hoping not to have to do. I have DA Document Red, but the Violet looks too light, so I would probably have to get that and another document ink to make the right color. That's getting pretty expensive.

Hi All,

Since Noodler's Waterproof Burgundy is no longer around, is there any waterproof (or incredibly water-resistant) burgundy ink on the market??

There was a waterproof Noodler's Burgundy? Drat :wallbash: ! I missed it.

Oh, and if you can find it, Swisher had a waterproof burgundy.

Oh, was that the above referenced Noodler's waterproof Burgundy? I bought some Swisher Pens Burgundy ink, I think, but it wasn't waterproof. I'm pretty sure it was at the non-bulletproof/eternal price point, but then I'd have bought it a long time ago.

I'm not sure that I'd call Noodler's Red/Black a Burgundy. But then I bought mine a long time ago. Nathan may have changed the formulation since then. I use that ink as my primary "outdoor" ink. I have it in a Sheaffer Javelin and I take it out with me. I'm a bit protective of my fountain pens and take only some of them out of the house. The Noodler's Red/Black I have is one of those mixes where the red color will wash away but leave the black ink totally legible. It's a tamper-evident ink.

Thanks for the writing sample. I wasn't aware that the red component was also water resistant. Usually just the black component is with those semi-bulletproof noodler's inks. That's my problem with Black Swan in English Roses.

Yes, unless the formulation has been changed the Red/Black is as you've described. It's a really nice ink though :thumbup: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

These are definitely getting closer.

My dream is for a waterproof Diamine Syrah.

Add ghost blue. It will radically improve the waterfastness.

Add ghost blue. It will radically improve the waterfastness.

Thanks for reminding me about this ink! I have a 5ml sample doing nothing in my drawer that ought to do the trick.

Diamine Syrah is so saturated that adding a little Blue Ghost probably won't affect the color.

What ratio would you recommend for good waterfastness?

Noodler's Red-Black.

As far as I can tell, it is what it says on the bottle -- a mix of Noodler's original Black and one of Noodler's red inks, probably original Red. It has huge fade resistance. I've used it for years on (among other things) cheap 3x5 cards which then sit in an old AOL CD tin to serve as a coaster. The red ink may run, after quite a bit of soaking, but the black will remain, and be legible.

If it seems too brown for your purposes, dilute it; somewhere between 10:1 and 2:1, you should find yourself with a nice burgundy.

eta: Just checked my 2007 Clark's Ink Sampler, and original Red has Good water resistance and Very Good fade resistance.

Edited by Arkanabar

Thanks for the detailed information, Arkanabar! Maybe I'll get a sample first to try it out. Even in China Noodler's is much cheaper than the new Platinum Classic line. BSER was too brown for me when not in a wet flex pen, so this may be the best alternative.