Meisterstuck 149 Skipping?

HyperplaneMKB

Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to fountain pens and to the forum. But I wish I can have some of your opinions on a MB pen I recently acquired.

It is a Meisterstuck 149 with an M-nib. The pen is pre-owned pen. The seller claims it is new. Though I think it has been inked before. What annoys me is that the pen tends to skip a bit on downward strokes---especially on the first few, but otherwise writes well. (You see the attached picture to see what I mean. The pen is filled with Edelstein Onyx ink, and it was on an ordinary writing pad.)

I have flushed the pen throughoutly a few times, and the problem persists. Is this something I should be concerned with? Will it go away as I use the pen for longer? To be honest, it does not affect much, but annoys quite a bit. All my other pens (including a 146 with EF-nib) does not have such a problem.

I appreciate your thoughts.

post-135324-0-77300100-1490376691_thumb.jpg

Edited by HyperplaneMKB

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrea_R

• zaddick

• Pravda

• Barry Gabay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

baby's bottom is a pretty common problem with 149s however hae already tried another ink/paper?

Hi Andrea, Thanks for the information.

I tried different types of paper: ordinary writing pad, print paper, also a writing pad by Basildon Bond. It seems not making much difference. Only tried two types of inks, Edelstein Onyx and Noodler's black. No difference either.

If it is baby's bottom (I just Googled what that is), would Mont Blanc help fix it? I purchased this pen on eBay. The seller said he received this as a gift and could not help to provide an invoice or warranty card.

baby's bottom is a pretty common problem with 149s however hae already tried another ink/paper?

Based on what source of info? I don't hear this for MB 149 pens and have never experienced it myself.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

MB will not fix a baby bottom. They will replace it for a full exchange fee. They replace things not fix them.

MB will not fix a baby bottom. They will replace it for a full exchange fee. They replace things not fix them.

Thanks for the information. I wondered how much such a replacement would cost. I saw people fixing this by themselves in videos, but I am afraid I am quite a novice to pens and do not want to risk it.

I believe the replacement cost for a gold 149 nib is between $300-$400 US. With a trun around time of about 4-6 weeks

I was quoted $360 recently. You can buy a good used pen for that money.

Having someone fix and grind it to how you desire would be about $40 to $60 plus shipping and time.

Zaddick's suggestion is excellent. If you are near a pen show and can have a nibmeister work on it there, you will save shipping and time, and will get exactly what you want.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Hey Zaddick, Meiers. Would flossing the tines possibly help his problem?

Based on what source of info? I don't hear this for MB 149 pens and have never experienced it myself.

calm down mb fanboy, generaly speaking higher end pens do suffer from baby's bootom experencied with mine as well, fitted with a BB

@Hyperplank as thye have already told you anibmeister will do the job ;)

I would try it, a little extra ink flow might be all that is needed since it seems to be at the start. Also pretty low risk if done cautiously.

calm down mb fanboy, generaly speaking higher end pens do suffer from baby's bootom experencied with mine as well, fitted with a BB

I assume this is meant as an insult, to imply I am blinded to flaws by a love of MB 149s. Yes, I do indeed find the pens great and I also like to share my enthusiasm about the pen with people who ask.

However, my comment was because I think blanket statements that are unsupported can be misleading for new members. So I asked for your source of info on your statement. And I get back another general statement of limited validity and that you may or may not have a 149 with what you think is a baby bottom.

I am just trying to help folks form their own ideas. This forum is a great place to share knowledge, but I think it is best when backed by data and personal experiences. If you had 10 149s and they all had baby bottoms that would be helpful info to share. If you had one pen with an issue that is helpful to share. If you just make a general statement and position it as a well know truth, I don't find that helpful.

I am not the opinion police. You can say what you desire, but I will not be shy about sharing my differing opining if I think I can help someone draw their own conclusion.

I am no nib wizard. I'd go with zaddick's suggestion. And proceed cautiously. Edited by meiers

We're all perfectly calm. Just curious where you got that notion.

And yes your tone in the above comment was definitely sarcastic. How is that helpful?

Edited by meiers

What kind of reply is that!?

Saying 'generally speaking' and 'higher end pens'.. what a generalization!

Pray tell, how many Montblancs do you own?

Didn't want to make anyone angry. I am sorry if it sounded sarcastic

for reference https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/187706-five-bad-things-that-happen-with-new-pens/

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tquFBCKlqh8

same pen I'd say sae nib size, same problem.

@Prayda I already said sorry thanks for pointing it out anyway. However I am not here to be lectured. As a matter of fact higher end pens is correct since only high end pen nibs could be overpolished(Pelikan, MB and Visconti nibs in particular) but I am pretty sure you were already aware of that.

I currently own 2 149s a a Medium and a Fine one I ended up selling the BB since it was fair too large for my handwriting.

I would like to apologise to any moderator passing by as well didn't mean to cause any trouble.

Edited by Andrea_R

Expensive pens should, and do, work straight out of the box. Your comments are not useful without qualification, your tone even less so.