Accidentally Stabbed Myself Twice With A Lamy On The Top Of My Hand

scootunit007

I was cleaning the nib, when it slipped and stabbed the top of my hand. I jerked it away and it went flying. When it landed it stabbed me AGAIN an inch from the first stab wound! Don't ask me how that even happened, but it did. Now there are two tattoos on the top of my hand visible to everyone everywhere. I have my eternal shame tattoo'd to the top of my hand! Is there any way to get rid of the marks??? I was thinking about making a very small incision around it with a knife, cleaning it, and wrapping it as I do with splinters, but what else could I do that doesn't hurt like heck?

Thanks!

-Z

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• heathydraws

• LizEF

• scootunit007

Welcome, Z. Sorry about your accidental stabbing. I'm guessing diluted ammonia would hurt like crazy (as would alcohol). What ink was it? That may make a difference. Soap and water often removes ink - washing your hair does wonders to get it off your fingers. I'm reasonably certain it will simply come off with time (even tattoos fade in time as the body tries to dissolve the ink - or so I'm told).

In the meantime, if anyone asks, you could always say, "There was a minor inkcident, but I put the attacker in his place." ;)

Hi! Thanks for the response! It was parker quink black ink. I tried cleaning it, and it actually looks like the soap and water helped a bit! I will also definitely try to clean it in the shower tonight to see if that makes it any better. Great suggestion! As for the fading, I agree with you. I did some more research and found that ink does not last as long under skin as say pencil lead, so that is good! I already have a pencil scar on my leg, so the ink jabs made me nervous! Thanks for the suggestions!

Ps. Love the pun! haha :thumbup:

As they say, if you don't take a picture, it didn't happen. :) And which Lamy has a nib sharp enough to stab? I don't think my Al-Star nibs would do that (not gonna test that theory). I have some Japanese nibs that could definitely live alternate lives as little spear tips. (Pointy G nibs may have had this purpose in mind when they were designed.)

Not to make you worry more, but I also have a "pencil lead" spot on my right leg that's been there since ~3rd grade (I can still remember when I did it1, just not sure it was really third grade, but that's most likely). And that's decades old - of course, the tip broke off in my leg (at least, that's what I thought at the time, though it certainly doesn't feel like there's anything solid in there), and like a good frightened 3rd grader, I never told a soul (it's possible I've never told anyone since, until now).

But that's graphite, and this is FP ink that wants paper to bind to... ;)

Meanwhile, maybe we can draw others into this "stabbed by a writing instrument" discussion, and in a few hundred years, when someone stumbles on it, they'll say, "What kind of weapons were these 'writing instruments'?"

1 I was fascinated by the fact that I could get the tip of my pencil in between the weave of the jeans I was wearing, and on one repeat of this exercise, I presumably had to push harder than usual, and the pencil didn't stop until it was in my leg (violent beast that it was). :D

Haha! Well, I just so happened to take a photo. Tell me if the link works.

Well, um, here it is. (Blushes) :blush:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-JjlQxC12rMQzlBMllHUzFvbzkteU12YTV2OWVJdmN1b0FJ/view?usp=sharing

The actual punctures are the ones with black marks on them. The lower left is a mosquito bite, (ewwww) and the upper right is a mark from the pen bouncing, but not puncturing. Lol! Enjoy!

My hand looks creepy in macro. haha! Thanks for all the help, y'all!

Edited by scootunit007

I would just put a ")" under the marks to make it look like a smiley face.... and wait until the ink fades.. :lol: :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I was thinking about making a very small incision around it with a knife

Ahahah I don't think you need to go such lengths for something like this.

Me neither. Your body should take care of the ink by himself. It's not tattoo ink so it should desolve by it's own. Cutting yourself is not a solution. It might get infected and leave a really annoying scar.

But, please explain us in what way you clean your pens so they become lethal projectiles.

I was cleaning the nib, when it slipped and stabbed the top of my hand. I jerked it away and it went flying. When it landed it stabbed me AGAIN an inch from the first stab wound! Don't ask me how that even happened, but it did. Now there are two tattoos on the top of my hand visible to everyone everywhere. I have my eternal shame tattoo'd to the top of my hand! Is there any way to get rid of the marks??? I was thinking about making a very small incision around it with a knife, cleaning it, and wrapping it as I do with splinters, but what else could I do that doesn't hurt like heck?

Thanks!

-Z

Quink black...Perhaps you just lop off your hand?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Quink black...Perhaps you just lop off your hand?

Wait, I was thinking BSB. Try soap and water.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have found that Lava soap removes ink.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I would just put a ")" under the marks to make it look like a smiley face.... and wait until the ink fades.. :lol: :lol:

Best response yet! :D

The ink in the outer two layers of skin should wash out shortly. Any ink in the lower layers will fade,

as the body absorbs/flushes away the ink. I don't think the ink is toxic. Threat it as any other stab.

First sign of infection, get medical treatment. Otherwise, ignore it ! Everyone else will.

Throughout college, I used a Parker 45. In the jeans and sweatshirt days, I often carried the pen in

my back pocket. I broke about a half dozen P45 pens. Ruined some Fruit Of The Looms. Stained Mom's sofa and Carol's saddle. Tattooed a blue likeness of the star Aldebaran on my bum. :lticaptd: Sometime between graduation and discharge from the Navy, it disappeared.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Tattooed a blue likeness of the star Aldebaran on my bum. :lticaptd: Sometime between graduation and discharge from the Navy, it disappeared.

Pics or it didn... no, forget it. Please... :happy:

You have my empathy... many many many years ago... 10th grade drafting class... dropped a newly sharpened pencil and instinctively slammed my legs shut to catch it... minor stab wound on my right leg just above me knee. Oooh... that's gonna leave a mark.. and it did indeed... still there

Did that with a rapidograph a long time ago, it's still there.

fpn_1490491400__img_2850.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell