Platinum Cassis Black - Classic Line (IG)

julia239

fpn_1490307646__platinum_cassis_black_00

fpn_1490307662__platinum_cassis_black_00

fpn_1490307673__platinum_cassis_black_00

There is quite a bit of color variation between pens. I expected the flex pen to be the darkest because it is so wet, but I was surprised that the 580 was so light - it is usually wetter than the Eco. (I'm speculating, but maybe the Eco isn't sealed quite as well, so perhaps the ink has already begun oxidizing before it hits the paper?)

fpn_1490307685__platinum_cassis_black_00

fpn_1490307705__platinum_cassis_black_00

Edited by julia239

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julia239

• truthpil

• lapis

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review! An interesting ink. It could be my monitor, but I've rarely seen an ink that varies so dramatically from nib to nib. How long did you wait before photographing the review? Just wondering whether time made any difference in the colour of the ink as it dried.

I like your handwriting, too.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I did not expect to like this ink at all..... It is gorgeous!!!...... Thanks Julia... :wub: :wub:

The Platinum pics makes look very pink... So glad is not that pick.

Thanks again for a lovely review.... Love your script. :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for the review! An interesting ink. It could be my monitor, but I've rarely seen an ink that varies so dramatically from nib to nib. How long did you wait before photographing the review? Just wondering whether time made any difference in the colour of the ink as it dried.

I like your handwriting, too.

It's not your monitor - there's a lot of variation. It was a little over 2 days between when I wrote the samples and when I scanned them. They were all written within an hour of one another. The variation surprised me as well & I'm not sure how to account for it.

Thanks for including an EF nib in your review -- as someone who uses only extra-fine and fine nibs, I appreciate that very much!

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

Great review. I see that there are 6 of these IGs in the new series. How black does this one get and how long does that take? Days? How black? Sorry for this persistence and I guess it's better to buy all 6 and see for myself. Citrus-Yellow turning black? Very interesting! I too love your handwriting :wub:

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Great review. I see that there are 6 of these IGs in the new series. How black does this one get and how long does that take? Days? How black? Sorry for this persistence and I guess it's better to buy all 6 and see for myself. Citrus-Yellow turning black? Very interesting! I too love your handwriting :wub:

Mike

Thanks for the compliment about my handwriting.

I haven't had it for very long - I've only been using this one for about a two weeks. The darkest the Cassis has gotten in that time is what you see with the Noodler's Neponset Flex. I purchased the Cassis and the Lavender at a small pen show & the rep said that they should continue to darken over time - as in months and years. The initial color change is fairly quick; on Rhodia, it starts almost instantly (within 2 seconds) and stabilizes in about 30 seconds. The slowest change was on Clairefontiane Triomphe; I didn't make any notes on it other than that it was gradual and took a lot longer to begin to oxidize. I just started using the Lavender yesterday; first impressions are that the color change isn't as remarkable & without anything in front of me to compare it to, it looks like a dark plum color. Vanness sent me a free sample of the Sepia with another order. I inked up a pen today & it is green - I think pretty close to Noodler's Burma Road Brown. It could change over the weekend, but I was not expecting that much green.

If you look at the Platinum website, the color samples next to the bottles showing the nib sizes are pretty close to what I've seen when the ink is wet, except that the Sepia still looks that green. None of the 3 I have look much like the swabs under the bottle across the top of the page. The Cassis might get close with the Flex and the darkest part of the swab. Neither the Lavender nor the Cassis seem to be nearly as electric as the swabs would have you believe. So far, my Sepia doesn't look at all like the brownish color swab under the bottle.

I'll try to get reviews done of the Lavender and Sepia soon, but I want to make sure the color is relatively stable before I post them. :) I will say that I'm seeing similar color variation between pens even though I'm using different pens. :huh:

I did not expect to like this ink at all..... It is gorgeous!!!...... Thanks Julia... :wub: :wub:

The Platinum pics makes look very pink... So glad is not that pick.

Thanks again for a lovely review.... Love your script. :wub: :wub:

C.

It isn't nearly as orange or as electric as the Platinum pictures look. :rolleyes:

It's not your monitor - there's a lot of variation. It was a little over 2 days between when I wrote the samples and when I scanned them. They were all written within an hour of one another. The variation surprised me as well & I'm not sure how to account for it.

Well, that ink looks more and more interesting to me! I may have to try a bottle. And a wider nib than I usually use. Thanks again.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Thanks for the detailed answer, Julia. That's one thing I love about IGs. Most writings turn pretty (i.e. "fairly") black after 24 h but some like with the older MB (ID 12574) turn even blacker after a couple of years (all kept closed under the dark of course).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Another great review. I really like how this color looks. It seems like a burgundy. Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This one is a maybe for me. I'd have to see for myself how much it oxidizes (I didn't really care all that much for KWZI IG Red #1 -- one of the few IG inks of *any* brand that was really a disappointment.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It would be great if you could re-scan a page of your review a month or two later so we could see the color change. I'm afraid of having another ESSRI disappointment where the beautiful color turns to nothing but gray and black after some weeks.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

It would be great if you could re-scan a page of your review a month or two later so we could see the color change. I'm afraid of having another ESSRI disappointment where the beautiful color turns to nothing but gray and black after some weeks.

I will try very hard to remember to do this. If I forget, feel free to message me. :)

Thanks for the beautifully written review!

The more I look at these the more I want them all :D

"Music..Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate." - Arnold Bennett

Instagram // my inks

• 1 month later...

I will try very hard to remember to do this. If I forget, feel free to message me. :)

It's been two months since this wonderful review was posted. What does the color look like now that it has cured some??

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small