Pelikan Edelstein Topaz - Does Anyone **not** Like It?

Mercian

The other day I was reading the compact review of Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz by member Jan2016...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320111-pelikan-edelstein-smoky-quartz-compact-review/

...and I noticed that one person said that they do not like any of the inks sold by Pelikan.

That intrigued me, because (IIRC) every time I have seen Pelikan Edelstein Topaz mentioned on here, the person mentioning it was doing so because they like - or even strongly like- that ink.

As far as I can remember, I cannot remember ever seeing such unity of positive opinion about an ink.

So, just to satisfy my curiosity, are there any of you reading this who dislike Edelstein Topaz?

Or even only feel 'meh' about it?

My thanks to you in advance for your replies.

Cheers,

M.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Mercian

• Manalto

• Jan2016

I'm generally not a fan of lighter colored inks so my bottle of Topaz doesn't get much use (it came with a pen purchase).

Everyone has preferences in inks; nib shape, feel, wetness; pens appearance and feel.

Depending on the threads you read, you could get the idea that most people prefer bright colors, drippy wide nibs, and piston fillers.

I feel rather 'meh' about both Topaz and Sapphire, but blended they make, at least to my mind, a beautiful ink. And well-behaved.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Topaz looks nice on Google images. I feel meh about my bottle sapphire though. I use it if I don't trust the paper or need quick dry times (I have mostly Diamine otherwise).

Me, I like it. Haven't quite decided whether it's worth the extra cost over Diamine Havasu Turquoise, though (the two inks are very similar in color and shading). Plus, there are some other blue leaning turquoise inks I want to try first before actually springing for a bottle of Topaz.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I love the color but it's stained two stacked celluloid Viscontis so I'm very careful about which pens I put it in.

Like!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/308761-ink-shoot-out-pelikan-edelstein-topaz-vs-pilot-iroshizuku-kon-peki/

Use the Edelstein Tanzanite also a lot

And one of my most favorite purples is Edelstein Amethyst, whic very unfortunately is a LE :-(

Well, I have never used Edelstein Topaz but kon peki is what I've been using lately and I love it... so I suppose if they are as close as in the review I would like it.. assuming it behaves well

I love the color but it's stained two stacked celluloid Viscontis so I'm very careful about which pens I put it in.

+1 on this stained the ink window of my 101n

Do I dislike it? No.

Do I have it or am considering buying it? No and no.

It seems my ink count will remain below my pen count, because of the sufficient distinction I prefer between one and the next. I can be accused fairly of not adhereing always to that guideline but it is working well enough.

X

I do like it....and Diamine is something I'd have to worry about online....and Pelikan Edelstein inks are at my B&M.

Of my Edelstein inks, Topaz is the one I like most.

I find Jade boring, Aventurine feathers....great color but feathering is feathering. Perhaps I should take it to the flea market.

Tanzanite is not yet tried. Haven't been in a BB mood.

I don't need black inks...so no Onyx...I still have half a bottle of 7 year old 4001 black.

Everyone was ever so disappointed that Pelikan didn't bring out Parker Penmann Sapphire ink, instead of a soft Pelikan blue. I never got any.

The Herbin orange shaded better than Pelikan...still got to get that Herbin ink. I still have a couple cartridges of the 'good' Pelikan orange....'90's ink.

The LE's Aquamarine, Amethyst are OK...the Smokey Quartz is too new to know, in it's slightly it's own color....like R&K's Alt Goldgruen.

The LE inks of before...were of no interest to me.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I was a bit disappointed by the Topaz. It seems to be significantly lighter in reality than in reviews I saw.

I like just about everything, so I was surprised, when I clicked on the link to see what 'Topaz' was, to be disappointed. My first reaction was that it's a muddy color that looks like two inks got mixed by mistake. Ditch water. As is my wont, my opinion has softened (who said, "Who cares?") to a fond but probably-will-never-get Elephant Gray.

James

Tone of an ink is determined by, the flex and width of a nib, and the paper(s) that are used.

Go look up any Ink Review by Sandy1 :notworthy1: . She uses some 4-5 different width non-semi-flex or flexier nibs, on 4-5 different 'normal good' papers you could get if you put your mind to it. It is astounding how the same ink can look so different. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.