What Bottle Of Ink Did You Just Finish?

KaB

As for Diamine Oxblood, I've transferred the last couple ml into an empty J. Herbin 10ml bottle (these are great!) to be kept as a reference in my hunt for the perfect blood red ink; Oxblood is endgame as far as colour goes, but the properties could be a little better. I'm now blasting my way through a 60ml bottle of KWZ Maroon and absolutely loving it.

Furthermore, Diamine Earl Grey is quickly diminishing as I continue to put it into a PenBBS 355 with a wet Jinhao M nib mounted on it. It gets good daily use at work and during RPG evenings with friends, but I doubt that it'll get used up this year.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KaB

• amberleadavis

• ENewton

• bayindirh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Organics Studio Hunter Green, the closest I have found to MB Racing Green.

It also work very well and produces a vibrant green when thinned 50/50.

• 10 months later...

Back on topic: pics of an inkbottle you've just finished.

I just finished my Diamine Grape. Happy it's over. I bought it, looking for a very dark purple, almost black in a fine nib. That's what it does. But it's also (in my experience) very dry. Too dry for some pens.

49922384342_77b594607a_c.jpg

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Monteverde Horizon Blue, one of the small 30ml bottles.

Now, time to start on the 90ml bottle.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished a 30ml bottle of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown, and started a new one. Brilliant Brown was a good discovery for me. My favorite brown is Iroshizuku Yama-guri, but sometimes it is too dark. Brilliant Brown is a nice bright hue, it shades nicely on many papers, and is well behaved in my pens. I use a lot a Diamine Ancient Copper which seems similar on the brightness scale. I find Brilliant Brown to be great less-red alternative to Ancient Copper.

The only ink I've ever finished bottles of is Pilot Blue-Black. Since I started branching out, and buying a wide variety of inks, I've not finished a bottle of anything.  Pilot BB remains my go to, but I have the giant soda bottle of that, as well as a bit of a small bottle, and a ton of the cartridges. 

Edit: My only other near empty bottle is a 30ml Diamine Deep Dark Red plastic bottle. I'll get the bigger glass bottle of that next, as it is terrific.

I didn't know anyone actually finished bottles of ink. I think I used all of a bottle of Pelikan Bright Brown once, back in the mists of time when I had three colors. 

Montblanc Emerald. The old formula. That means I'm down to one bottle, so it may be time (after 30 odd years) to change the colour I use in my 149. I have a candidate already in the house, but I'm not sure If I'm ready to do it!

45 minutes ago, sombrueil said:

I didn't know anyone actually finished bottles of ink.

It takes some doing! Especially if you use Fine Japanese nibs...

Noodlers Black.  I finish a couple bottles a year.  Right now, I am focusing of whittling down my ink collection to a select six or seven, so I might finish several more this year.

• 3 months later...

I am on the verge of finishing a whole bottle for the first time! Kana-cho Midnight, which I purchased in Feb '17.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

1 hour ago, chromantic said:

I am on the verge of finishing a whole bottle for the first time! Kana-cho Midnight, which I purchased in Feb '17.

We are fond of pictures. Of the emptied bottle!

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

1 hour ago, chromantic said:

It's a great feeling, isn't it? Just think: even with a wide, wet pen, a typical 50ml bottle of ink represents hundreds of pages, and with a fine point, perhaps thousands! I guess for you artists out there, it really depends on how thickly you like to lay down ink in your sketches... :)

In any event, yes, it is an occasion!

I have two that are getting close (I am using a syringe and an Ink Miser to fully empty the bottles), but I am not yet ready to declare completion.

Oh wow...you know what?
I've never finished a bottle!
:o
Out of my entire collection, the only full-size bottle that I've used more than half of is my "Iroshizuku - Shin Ryoku". 
In my searches for the perfect Green and the perfect Brown, I've wound up giving away most of the bottles of ink that don't meet my desires. I'm sitting on about 3 to give away next week and ordering 3 more bottles and 6 samples this weekend from Vanness and Amazon.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 12:40 AM, KaB said:

Back on topic: pics of an inkbottle you've just finished.

I just finished my Diamine Grape. Happy it's over. I bought it, looking for a very dark purple, almost black in a fine nib. That's what it does. But it's also (in my experience) very dry. Too dry for some pens.

49922384342_77b594607a_c.jpg

I am so proud of you and I loved watching Tsuki-Yo empty.  Diamine Grape was one of the inks I liked the least - too dry and too stainy even for me.  What bottle will you empty next?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 12/6/2020 at 3:48 AM, KaB said:

I finished my bottle of Sailor Yama-dori. Good thing two small spare bottles are waiting in line!

Yama-dori.jpg

What do you do with all this ink to use up so many bottles?  I'm very impressed.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

3 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Diamine Grape was one of the inks I liked the least - too dry and too stainy even for me.  

I concur.  I had high expectations for it, but it was such a disappointment that I've never bought another Diamine ink.  

On 4/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, ENewton said:

I concur.  I had high expectations for it, but it was such a disappointment that I've never bought another Diamine ink.  

which is sad...Diamine does have some great inks.

6 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

which is sad...Diamine does have some great inks.

What is a well-behaved dark purple from Diamine?