Should A Snorkel Look Like This?

Sailor Kenshin

We recently got an open-nib Snorkel (no idea what model, sorry) with body and cap and even the nib in decent shape, but the tube wouldn't retract. DH disassembled it, put in some new parts, and reassembled it. We haven't tested it yet, though, because the tube still protrudes somewhat. I asked him to spell out what happened. Can anyone tell if this is normal?

"This was my first attempt at a Snorkel repair. This Snorkel has an open nib and it took me a lot of fiddling with the nib and feed position in the collar to get the nib aligned with the longitudinal slit on the end of the Snorkel Tube (as per Richard Binders instructions).

The pictures below show the nib and feed with the Snorkel tube fully retracted, It sticks out about 1 mm from the feed.

My questions are:

- Is is normal for a retracted Snorkel Tube to stick out this much?

- Do the nib and feed look properly positioned relative to each other?

- If everything else works, should I just leave well enough alone?

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/9514/8986/5661/Snorkel_Retracted-1-640p.jpg

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/1414/8986/5662/Snorkel_Retracted-2-640p.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help."

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Ron Z

• Brian-McQueen

• inkstainedruth

If the pen mechanism works and move up and down all the way while turning it then it may just be that the snorkel tube isn't pushed into the rubber bushing of the filler unit as much as it could be. There is a specific measurement for the open nib pens and the conical nib pens. I don't think it would hurt anything to have it sticking out like it is though really. I will send you some repair information I have from the book I have that has some great info on snorkel fillers.

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

We readjusted it and got it to write. But the tines are slightly misaligned, so it's scratchy, and I lack the confidence to realign them. Thanks, one and all!

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/2014/8993/4682/Assembled_Snorkel-640p.jpg

Can anyone tell me what model this is?

Beautiful pen! You can identify the model by checking out Richard Binder's website.

The protruding snorkel actually looks like as if the snorkel tube is put in the wrong way. The tube I have has a curved end so that is matches the curve of the feed, it looks like the end of a needle on a syringe. Check out some pics to understand what I am saying. Your's seems to have a flat/square end and that's why it seems like it's protruding.

But, I am no pro! All the best!

Also, tine alignment is really not that risky a task - read a few articles, see a few videos, and then just go for it. I need to adjust the tines on almost every pen I have ever bought!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

If I remember correctly, the tubes on standard nibbed pens are flat ended like yours. The angle ended tubes are in pens with conical nibs. If your pen writes with decent ink flow I wouldn't mess with the tube. If not or if it just bothers you, set the tube deeper in the rubber sac section. See Richard Binder's web page reference section for further information.

And your pen looks to be a Saratoga.

Good luck with your

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

If I remember correctly, the tubes on standard nibbed pens are flat ended like yours. The angle ended tubes are in pens with conical nibs. If your pen writes with decent ink flow I wouldn't mess with the tube. If not or if it just bothers you, set the tube deeper in the rubber sac section. See Richard Binder's web page reference section for further information.

And your pen looks to be a Saratoga.

Good luck with your

I believe you are correct! Many thanks.

We just did the second Snork. This one went easier, and it writes much better. Any idea what model this is?

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/6514/9003/8049/Snorkel_w_Triumph-640p.jpg

I believe you are correct! Many thanks.

We just did the second Snork. This one went easier, and it writes much better. Any idea what model this is?

http://extras.ourpatioparty.com/files/6514/9003/8049/Snorkel_w_Triumph-640p.jpg

Looks like a Statesman.

For optimal performance, the end of the snorkel tube should be flush with the underside of the feed Too far forward (or back) and the slit in the top of the snorkel tube won't be lined up properly with the slit in the feed, and ink won't be transferred properly to the nib and on to the paper.

Frankly, I think it a wonder and marvel of engineering that Sheaffer got these things to write at all. But despite the Rube Goldbergesque design, the darn things are very reliable.

Footnote - Fred Plewa did a nice, quick reference sheet in a mid-90s edition of Pen World. I made copies for handy reference so I don't have to rummage through my back issues to find it. PCA members can find back issues of PW in the PCA library.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ron, I don't think that issue of Pen World is in the PCA archives. I'd like to see his quick-sheet. Those Plewa Klips are great little cheat sheets, even if they do have a few errors sometimes.

I don't know who has the copyright. If I were certain that Pen World did and not Fred's estate, I would imagine that we could get permission to post it here. I'll have to check with Susan Bowen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Here's the link to Richard Binder's Snorkel article:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/snorkel.htm

There's also information about the different colors and models on the (bleep) site:

http://(bleep).com/website/sheaffersnorkelguide.htm

Hope this helps. (Strange how I just can pull up those links so easily isn't it.... ;)). But it's like "okay, it's a white dot open nib and it's got this width cap band and a cap the same color as the barrel so it must be...." (sez the girl with 6 at this point -- 2 Valiants, 2 Statesmen and 2 Admirals... I think...). Plus a Touchdown the same color (black) as two of the Snorkels.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedtruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If it's a white dot open nib Snorkel, it is a Frankenpen :P

I was being somewhat facetious.

All those different "models" and they're all effectively the same pen. It's worse than Vacumatics (which at least come in a variety of sizes...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."