Found 2 Vintage Fountain Pens With Some Issues. Looking For Info And Advice.

thewalkingfred

When helping my grandmother move some things we stumbled on 2 old fountain pens that belonged to my late grandfather. A Conklin Crescent Filler Trademark 40 and a Wahl Eversharp 14k Gold Seal. Neither is in working order but they may be easily repairable. I was hoping for some info on the two and maybe some advice on what to do with them. I they can be repaired we may keep them or sell 1 or both depending on how valuable they would be.

The Conklin feels like it's made of black plastic (Bakelite?) with a zig-zag textured pattern on the pen and cap. The body of the pen has "CONKLIN CRESCENT FILLER, TOLEDO OHIO USA, PAT MCH 17/91 - OCT 29/01 - DEC 1/03". Not sure what to make of all the dates. After the ring lock thing it had "TRADE MARK 40" stamped with a design of a hand with a pen between "trade" and "mark". Ring lock is in good shape.

It has a gold ring around the base of the twist on cap and a gold clip with "CONKLIN PAT. MAY 28, 1918" stamped on it. The nib looks to be in good condition, no bends, maybe some very minor tarnishing, it has "CONKLIN 4 TOLEDO" stamped on it.

The problem is the crescent has fallen into the pen and is sorta sliding up and down. I cant even pull the crescent out with tweezers, thought I didn't really try to force it too hard. When I shake it, it sounds like one 1 thing is shifting around inside, whatever contraption the crescent is attached to I think. Is something like this repairable? Is it worth repairing?

The Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal is also black plastic/bakelite with a cool gold pocket clip with a little gold swivel ball at the end of it. It has "Wahl EVERSHARP" stamped on. It also has a fairly ornate gold triple ring pattern at the base of the cap and a small gold emblem with what looks like 2 check marks or a "W".

All of the gold bits seem to be gold-plated because the gold is worn off on some places. The nib looks like its in good shape with minor tarnishing like the other. It has "WAHL EVERSHARP 14K GOLD SEAL MANIFOLD" written on it.

The gold lever on the pen does not want to swing out more than 3-4 millimeters so im guessing the pen has been left with ink in it to dry or something. Can this be fixed?

I can't find any dates on this pen anywhere so does anyone have a good guess of the age?

Neither me nor my grandmother write much so we are probably looking to sell them if it is worth the trouble. If it's a simple repair I could take a swing at it myself but I doubt we will be looking to spend any money getting them fixed up unless they are some seriously rare pens. I can upload some pics later if you want them. Thanks in advance for any help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• thewalkingfred

• FarmBoy

• Chrissy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have no desire to keep and use them then sell them as is.

They sound as if they are not seriously rare.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Do not try to repair them your self.....one learns to repair on cheaper, younger pens.

Sell as is. As recommended.

It's too bad, you wish to own nothing from your grandfather that can be given to your grandkids.

Fountain pens are a rather classic thing to own...............and I think Farmboy was being a tad sarcastic...or looking from a large overview of seeing more pens than most will in their lives if they don't go to a pen show..

.............I certainly have no hopes of owning an Original Conklin. Knowing what was a fountain pen before.....Mark Twain swore by his Conklin. The first of the non-eye dropper or non safety pens.......operated with a dime, you filled your fountain pen with out fuss, muss or ink stains. 1912, Sheaffer came out with the logical improvement on the Conklin, in mounting a lever, instead of knowing everyone had a dime. ....... Well, everyone who counted did.......but the lever was super fast, one didn't have to dig around in one's pockets.

I do favor the lever over Cartridge pens....they are much faster. One don't have to unscrew a pen and fiddle with cartridges....................Once you get the pen res-acked...you too can have the fastest pen in the West; with your Wahl-Eversharp. ;) The Conklin if you carry a dime in your vest pocket will always be third fastest. :( Piston pens will be faster.

........I'd have to hunt in the US Ebay.....pay a fortune in US mail.....perhaps the most expensive in the world, in Congress has been well bribed by UPS&FedEx for a Whal-Eversharp.................both were at one time major pen makers. Eversharp into the late '40's.Last of the American pens to be all semi-flex....well that is my impression. Some diid have great Art Deco design, by one of the major industrial designers of the first half of the 20th century.

I must admit, if I'd been in the US and chasing US pens, I'd have both. I am in Germany and chase German pens. So Farmboy is right, they are not all that rare....if one puts one's mind to it.

Fountain pens is fun.....if you notice how many fountain pen coms there are...how much use they get.

I doubt if there is a ball point com.

Ball points make writing hard. Hurts the hand, Fountain pens improve your handwriting; allows you to scribble with out pain for as long as you wish.

Scribbling away with ......We Are living in the Golden Age of Inks.......like opening up your 64 crayon box....a world of color.

Even just scribbling shopping lists are much more fun with a fountain pen than a ball point.

Ah.....that writing ....scribbling....can be fun is alien to the thought process of the ball point user...in using a ball point is never fun.........never has been fun...........and never will be fun.

If one for what ever reason, seeks dignity, it can not be found with a ball point no matter how costly, but can with your Vintage fountain pens...........even in a room full of fountain pen users, either of your fountain pens will draw 'Look's'.......and admiration.

As to worth....if I knew I'd not tell you. I want you to keep your classic pens.

If you can afford it have them fixed. If not then later. One can afford not going out on a Saturday night. That would pay for the repairs.

You could ask around your cousins and find one weird one who likes fountain pens....and sell them to him....keeping it in the family.

In my family, The Family Snorkel got lost.................we didn't have The Family Conklin.... :( :crybaby: that is not lost...as long as you don't sell it.

Worth of the pens....one cheap Saturday night....each.,,,,then all you have left over is a hangover, not a fine classic fountain pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Both pens are worth more than the cost to get them repaired but you are also dealing with old material and not really great learning on pens. Contact Danny Fudge and get them repaired. Then decide if you want to sell them.

My Website

When helping my grandmother move some things we stumbled on 2 old fountain pens that belonged to my late grandfather. A Conklin Crescent Filler Trademark 40 and a Wahl Eversharp 14k Gold Seal. Neither is in working order but they may be easily repairable. I was hoping for some info on the two and maybe some advice on what to do with them. I they can be repaired we may keep them or sell 1 or both depending on how valuable they would be.

The Conklin feels like it's made of black plastic (Bakelite?) with a zig-zag textured pattern on the pen and cap. The body of the pen has "CONKLIN CRESCENT FILLER, TOLEDO OHIO USA, PAT MCH 17/91 - OCT 29/01 - DEC 1/03". Not sure what to make of all the dates. After the ring lock thing it had "TRADE MARK 40" stamped with a design of a hand with a pen between "trade" and "mark". Ring lock is in good shape.

It has a gold ring around the base of the twist on cap and a gold clip with "CONKLIN PAT. MAY 28, 1918" stamped on it. The nib looks to be in good condition, no bends, maybe some very minor tarnishing, it has "CONKLIN 4 TOLEDO" stamped on it.

The problem is the crescent has fallen into the pen and is sorta sliding up and down. I cant even pull the crescent out with tweezers, thought I didn't really try to force it too hard. When I shake it, it sounds like one 1 thing is shifting around inside, whatever contraption the crescent is attached to I think. Is something like this repairable? Is it worth repairing?

The Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal is also black plastic/bakelite with a cool gold pocket clip with a little gold swivel ball at the end of it. It has "Wahl EVERSHARP" stamped on. It also has a fairly ornate gold triple ring pattern at the base of the cap and a small gold emblem with what looks like 2 check marks or a "W".

All of the gold bits seem to be gold-plated because the gold is worn off on some places. The nib looks like its in good shape with minor tarnishing like the other. It has "WAHL EVERSHARP 14K GOLD SEAL MANIFOLD" written on it.

The gold lever on the pen does not want to swing out more than 3-4 millimeters so im guessing the pen has been left with ink in it to dry or something. Can this be fixed?

I can't find any dates on this pen anywhere so does anyone have a good guess of the age?

Neither me nor my grandmother write much so we are probably looking to sell them if it is worth the trouble. If it's a simple repair I could take a swing at it myself but I doubt we will be looking to spend any money getting them fixed up unless they are some seriously rare pens. I can upload some pics later if you want them. Thanks in advance for any help!

Send 'em to me! ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Chrissy....guilt trips work...and it's for a good cause...hooking someone into fountain pen use, who already has two classic pens.

You wouldn't want to condemn the poor person to being a Ball Point user for the rest of his/her life....would you?

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the responses guys! Your enthusiasm on these type of heirlooms is pretty inspiring. I will look into getting them repaired by someone who knows their business and we may just end up hanging on to one or both.

But money is tight and that has been the driving motivator to come here and gather some info. Plus my handwriting is pretty terrifying :unsure:

I definitely look forward to testing them out after they are fixed tho!

As jar suggested, I think you'll find Danny Fudge to be competent, quick, and quite reasonable. Fountain pens have been reported as a tool to improve your handwriting.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Most folks's handwriting improves drastically....I can now read my hand writing**...and no longer have to print. I improved from Chicken Scratch...to Rooster Scratch.

** :rolleyes: :blush: My wife still can't read my writing....but that's ok. B)

One writes a bit slower, nibs do certain tricks with out doing anything special....and that old fashioned fountain pen script just happens all on it's own.

Good luck in selling the one you do.

My condolences on the passing of your Grandfather.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson