$.99Usd X450

k3eax

A follow-up to my post of 15 March. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320212-99usd-x450/?p=3809450

I just received the x450 today, 30 March. The pen was in a clear plastic sleeve inside a padded mailing envelope and direct from Fujian. The packaging seems adequate for protection and appropriate to the 99¢ price point. I assume it is sold elsewhere at higher prices and with appropriate packaging.

I opened the envelope, took out the pen, and filled it with Noodler's American Aristocrat (I think I have 'olde port'). It wrote immediately and with a very nice flex as illustrated so well (above) by sodul : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/320212-99usd-x450/?p=3819180

There is a lesson here for manufacturers of pens costing many multiples of 99¢!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sodul

• bfoutch

• k3eax

• Ian the Jock

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received the x450 from the "1 pen only" seller. I have not inked it up but the pen is pretty much the same as the other two with the new nib, new converter and engraving on the cap band.

I noticed some defects. On the cap finial and at the bottom of the barrel there is pinhead size hole in the paint where the metal is visible. I'll probably use a fine sharpie pen to hide that. The golden ring at the top of the barrel has a noticeable scratch in the metal, it predates the plating process.

Not deal breakers considering the price, but it shows that quality control is not perfect and goes beyond the nib stamping issue.

Maybe this will shed some light on a few posts I've read recently about fake Jinhaos etc.

Contrary to the opinion of many, there is actually quality control in China (cerainly Jinhao/Baoer anyway), and these unmarked, slightly "seconds" or so called fakes come from said quality control.

A Chinese colleague explained this to me when I bought an unbranded Baoer 017.

Jinhao/Baoer did make unbranded pens for the secondary retail market where pens are then branded by the buyer(or not), given a logo or whatever and fitted with ipg nibs, however, the demand for these dwindled when The factories started selling off their QC failures.

When you think about it, the "parts bin" would be huge, and cotain full pens, dodgy clips, squinty sections etc.etc. and someone buying say 100 "failures" or a job lot bucket for $10 and "puts together" 75 pens with the bits (some of which may still have minor defects) stands to make a bit of money, even at $1 a pen.

The QC failures hit the bin at all stages during manufacture which is why some pens have no engraving and some do.

My Baoer had a blemish on the clip plating, which was enough to fail it but stick in an ipg nib and it was certainly worth the $2 I paid for it, as the buyer of the parts bin obviously realised.

So

That's why some the "fakes" don't interchange caps with others the same, which is why they failed in the first place,

So....so called, Dodgy x450 are not fake.

They are part builds, or slightly imperfect qc failures, otherwise known here in the UK as SECONDS.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

Ian, thanks for the explanation. However, why is the it only a black version of the X450 that we find pieced together from rejected bits? Also, why are not X750 "seconds" found at greatly reduced sale prices?

Maybe this will shed some light on a few posts I've read recently about fake Jinhaos etc.

Contrary to the opinion of many, there is actually quality control in China (cerainly Jinhao/Baoer anyway), and these unmarked, slightly "seconds" or so called fakes come from said quality control.

Jinhao/Baoer did make unbranded pens for the secondary retail market where pens are then branded by the buyer(or not), given a logo or whatever and fitted with ipg nibs, however, the demand for these dwindled when The factories started selling off their QC failures.

When you think about it, the "parts bin" would be huge, and cotain full pens, dodgy clips, squinty sections etc.etc. and someone buying say 100 "failures" or a job lot bucket for $10 and "puts together" 75 pens with the bits (some of which may still have minor defects) stands to make a bit of money, even at $1 a pen.

The QC failures hit the bin at all stages during manufacture which is why some pens have no engraving and some do.

My Baoer had a blemish on the clip plating, which was enough to fail it but stick in an ipg nib and it was certainly worth the $2 I paid for it, as the buyer of the parts bin obviously realised.

So

That's why some the "fakes" don't interchange caps with others the same, which is why they failed in the first place,

They are part builds, or slightly imperfect qc failures, otherwise known here in the UK as SECONDS.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ian

Cheers for that Ian. Interesting. :thumbup:.

I received my Jinhao X450 $0.99 pen the other day and for the price It seems just fine. I'm amazed it arrived at all.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Ian, thanks for the explanation. However, why is the it only a black version of the X450 that we find pieced together from rejected bits? Also, why are not X750 "seconds" found at greatly reduced sale prices?

To be fair there is quite a bit of variability with the price of the 159 as well. I see it listed with free shipping between $3.07 and $3.50 in yellow, red, white, blue, black, golden (the body not the accents), while a lot of chinese sellers are selling it around $8 as well.

I have found painting and finishing issues on 159 pens. I have a 159 and a 886 that have their sections falling apart, where glue is failing, and I will use shellac to fix them. I have 2 159s that I plan on repainting, or even turn into brushed brass pens.

Now ... how can one identify a seller selling a truly QC approved pen vs a second quality one? I know of at leas tone seller, who is a member of the forum, that is very reputable. He is not the cheapest but he gets the pens directly from the manufacturers and relies on his good reputation to sell. Keep in mind that a higher price is no guarantee of better quality since a seller could sell a lower quality pen at the premium prices, and in my own experience the cheaper 159 are usually just as good as the $8 ones. The 159 falling apart was $8, and is still an excellent writer btw.

So

Hope this helps a bit.

Ian

Ian, I've just closely examined the nine, as yet to be inked, 99-cent Jibhao X450 pens that I purchased last year from the vendor "insteadnow.". All showed no imperfection! While I'm certainly not suggesting that sharing your friend's explanation is enabling the spread of "fake news'", my experience gives doubt that the explanation should be extended to 99-cent X450s.. And yes, I admittedly have little self control when it comes to buying excellent pens at the bargain priced of 99-cents.

Edited by k3eax

And yes, I admittedly have little self control when it comes to buying excellent pens at the bargain priced of 99-cents.

Amen, my Brother!

K3eax

Fair points...who knows, maybe someone paints the caps and barrels black (maybe even the factory) before selling them on, as it's easier for the 3rd party buyer to put together all black pens than it is to piece together a coral, a lava red, and a gnu's underbelly coloured pen.

On the x750s.... again, dunno,maybe it's because the 750 isn't as popular, or it's a design that produces less "dodgy bits"

Or it could just be that "they" use the x450 parts builds (most popular Jinhao) as a lost leader, just to draw us all into the wee Chinese fountain pen web, and before you know it it you'll be buying $30 Picassos, Heros and Kaigelus.

HERE! WAIT A MINUTE... :yikes:

By jove, I think that might be it. :lol:

You've lost me on the "fake news" bit, and I think my point may have been mis-understood.

What I'm saying is.... just because a pen isn't perceived to be 100% perfect, it need not be a fake.

It is more likely to be a "parts" pen, a minor QC failure, or if it has an ipg nib and no branding, possibly, produced initially for 3rd party branding.

It is also the case that many of these pens may be absolutely perfect in every way, making the $0.99 pens a massive bargain, and to be honest, even at the regular price, whatever that might be, they are a "NO BRAINER" for the money, which is the case with most low cost Chinese pens, certainly all the ones that I've bought.

But just because it might have squinty engraving, or some such, it isn't automatically a faaaaaaaake!!! ;)

EBO

You've lost me on the "fake news" bit, and I think my point may have been mis-understood.

Nay, nay Ian, fake news should not be confused with fake pens. Fake news is what appeared in the now gone but not lamented News of the World

Here's what I know: these Jinhao pens are inexpensive and reliable even at $6.50 USD, which they were just a couple of years ago!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Or it could just be that "they" use the x450 parts builds (most popular Jinhao) as a lost leader, just to draw us all into the wee Chinese fountain pen web, and before you know it it you'll be buying $30 Picassos, Heros and Kaigelus.

HERE! WAIT A MINUTE... :yikes:

By jove, I think that might be it. :lol:

So I am all for the trap without even going through the bait, cause I am buying those $30.00 pens already without having the cheap one beforehand .... lol .....

So I am all for the trap without even going through the bait, cause I am buying those $30.00 pens already without having the cheap one beforehand .... lol .....

Hahaha...don't worry, you'll go back to them as well, they are irresistible.

I'm still doing it.

I rake around ebay of an evening and just can't help myself.

There are still quite a few that I'd like to have. :) ... It just doesn't seem to stop.

Ian

I've been trying to stay away from going crazy buying pens, however, there are still just a few more Chinese I would like to add:

Crocodile 806 Blue Marble (removing the clip)

Picasso 915 - Green

Picasso 901

Crocodile Ruby - Would like to give it a try

Crocodile 169 - cap top & barrel top reminds me of a bullet

Duke Da Vinci Series

Kaigelu (The Mighty Roo) 316 - Black

Jinhao Bright Pearl

Jinhao X750 Champagne

Jinhao X750 Silver Sand

Unfortunately none of these are $.99

I just received an order of 10 two tone Jinhao #6 nibs and they have the new stamping on them. It looks slightly sharper than on the new x450 but not by a lot. The two tone plating is more or less accurate as usual.

all jinhao fountain pen comes with an original converter .

Chinese Pens Supplier

Ebay still insists that I qm limited to one pen. So, my order is not accepted by either of the two sellers. I have not ordered from either in a year.

Oh well ! My loss. I placed $1.25 bids with eight other sellers. I won one M450 for $0.97 , and a second for $1.21 .

They want the money. I have the money. From now on, I won't try more than one time.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Looks like I got the last one! Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Or not. Didn't realize until going through the thread you can only get one. Was thrown off by the message saying that the "seller didn't have that quantity remaining."

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

Looks like I got the last one! Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Or not. Didn't realize until going through the thread you can only get one. Was thrown off by the message saying that the "seller didn't have that quantity remaining."

There are 2 postings, the first one only allow 1 pen, the other one only 2. These deals seems to come and go and the shipping varies from free to not free. There are a few auction entries as well where the pen is not advertised as a Jinhao X450 but the pictures clearly show a X450, I was able to get 2 through auction for $1.25 and $0.81. So I'm getting 5 good pens for $5.03. The $0.99 ones shipped very quickly and I'm still waiting for the auction ones, but they showed up in my city this morning according to tracking so I should get them tomorrow. Weird thing is that they went through NY while I live near San Francisco, these pens travel more than most people do.