How Do I Stop My Ranga Bhishma From Leaking?

Uncial

I want to love this pen, I really do. Named after one of my favourite characters in the Mahabharata this pen seems to have taken a vow of celibacy against writing. It's a HUGE green and black ripple with a friction fit nib and feed (although it can take considerable force to get the nib in and out). I filled it first with Noodler's Cactus Fruit - perhaps not the best idea to fill and eyedropper with an eel ink, but hey, it leaked......everywhere. Left on it's side, with numerous other inks in it, it has leaked all of its contents. The nib has been snugly fitted, tightly fitted and stuffed in with all the power of Bhishma's chariot. Still, it leaks. Now the only thing I am not doing is putting grease on the threads of the grip and barrel screws, but I don;t think that should matter; perhaps it does! Have I just got a bad one, or am I missing something?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• mmg122

• mhguda

• fountainpagan

Why don't you try greasing the threads?

Can you tell where it's leaking from?

If it's leaking where the section screws into the barrel then greasing the threads should solve your problem. If it's leaking where the nib fits into the section, you may have the nib seated incorrectly.

Edited by mmg122

It leaks out of the nib despite having tried fitting it in different ways. Is there a way to know the nib and feed are seated correctly? Please don't tell me the answer is, it doesn't leak!

Uncial, did you heat set the nib and feed? Sometimes that takes care of a leaking nib...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Agree with mhguda...try heat setting the nib.

+ 1. This operation tends to resolve leaking problems.

I dont know this Ranga model. Is it a costum made pen that you named, or is it a regular Ranga model that you renamed?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Thanks, I shall try heat setting.

Fountainpagan; it's a Ranga model I bought a few years ago, maybe it's not made anymore? It's massive and quite thick in terms of girth. I bought a cc filling one in blue ripple (I think it might have been Peyton Street pens but I could be wrong) and liked it so much I thought I would try the eyedropper version direct from Ranga. From Google images it looks like it might be the 4C but with a slightly heavier looking cap. Peyton's have something similar looking that they call the Extra-Oversize.

Thanks, I shall try heat setting.

Fountainpagan; it's a Ranga model I bought a few years ago, maybe it's not made anymore? It's massive and quite thick in terms of girth. I bought a cc filling one in blue ripple (I think it might have been Peyton Street pens but I could be wrong) and liked it so much I thought I would try the eyedropper version direct from Ranga. From Google images it looks like it might be the 4C but with a slightly heavier looking cap. Peyton's have something similar looking that they call the Extra-Oversize.

This is probably the Model 5, but i too have never heard this name "bhishma."

Ah, so I didn't buy it from you then! Lol.

Well, that's quite a mystery. I must take a picture of it and upload it here to see if we can identify what it is.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1489679629__dsc_0754.jpg

fpn_1489679629__dsc_0754.jpg

fpn_1489679689__dsc_0755.jpg

The top pic shows it beside a TWSBI Eco and it's a bit longer and fatter (although it doesn't quite appear that way, it must have been the angle). The bottom pic shows the pen uncapped and it still has a Jinhao nib in it that I was messing about with the last time I had it inked (I thought that a different nib set up might solve the leak issue).

You might try a little silicon grease on the section threads, and if that doesn't work, heat-seating the nib and feed. But sometimes the hole in the section is a bit out of round or has a crack in it, and nothing you can do will prevent air from getting into the barrel and allowing ink to leak out. A crack in the barrel would have the same effect, but I imagine you have already eliminated this possibility. Good luck--it's a wonderful-looking pen. If all else fails, I'm sure you can contact Ranga and have them help you with a new section.

ron

That is a beautiful pen, Uncial! I love when the cap and barrel are flush...and the ebonite you chose is lovely. Hope you can solve the leak problem. I'm sure Mr. Kandan at Ranga Pens can get it fixed for you. It's certainly worth the trouble.

Mary

That is a beautiful pen, Uncial! I love when the cap and barrel are flush...and the ebonite you chose is lovely. Hope you can solve the leak problem. I'm sure Mr. Kandan at Ranga Pens can get it fixed for you. It's certainly worth the trouble.

Mary

+1 yes a wonderful pen, I really hope you fix this soon and get to enjoy your pen...

Your pen looks a lot like the Varuna Gajendra, or #5, only slightly straighter.

My #5 arrived in the mail this week, and is a *lot* bigger than my TWSBI Eco. This looks closer in size to the #3C - though the ends on this may be just a *little" less rounded? I agree, though, it's a beautiful pen!

Pic of the #3 pen, lifted from a recent group buy (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/315721-closed-ranga-model-3-and-3c-group-buy-dec-2016/):

fpn_1480571992__dsc02235-1_zpsb118c117.j

Are there any other nibs that will fit It? I know that's a difficult one to answer when it's not clear what model it is ( or an unusual model ). I'd like to put other nibs in and see if it will write. I have a spare Goulet number 6 and I few others that I can't remember right now.

only way to be sure is to try... if that's a model 3 (or 4) the #6 should fit... Please let us know.

Are there any other nibs that will fit It? I know that's a difficult one to answer when it's not clear what model it is ( or an unusual model ). I'd like to put other nibs in and see if it will write. I have a spare Goulet number 6 and I few others that I can't remember right now.

I have a Goulet #6 in my original #3 ('Duofold'). I heat-set the nib and feed to ensure a better fit, but it was the right size for the pen and it works well.