Pittsburgh Club Meeting

JCSasmor

I'm sorry for the late notice, but the Pittsburgh pen club will meet this Wednesday, the 15th, at 7PM at the Panera in Bakery Square. I hope to see you there!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Ron Z

• OmegaMountain

• Spidey

I'll be there, bad weather or not. (University students can use the buses for free! One of the perks.)

I'm going to try and make it out there for the first time even though the weather is pretty crappy. The roads are fine just the cold is bitter lol. If anyone has a Platinum 3776 or a Sailor 1911 standard they could bring those are two pens that I have been thinking about getting one of and I wouldd love to be able to see one in person before buying.

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

I have a 1911 pro gear slim... it was supposed to arrive today, but the weather delayed it. I'm slightly irked.

Still working on a change of venue. Watch the board or email for an announcement. If you PM Joshua he can add you to the email list.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I may use a Jedi mind trick to get you to move the meet to the west toward Greentree.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

It's not likely to go that far. There are some who come from the east side, one or two from Greensburg. The location that is being looked at is near Bakery Square.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

It's not likely to go that far. There are some who come from the east side, one or two from Greensburg. The location that is being looked at is near Bakery Square.

And Karl comes all the way in from Ford City, after working in Indiana County.

Sorry I missed it this month but I was down in the (freezing) south.... :angry:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was just joking. I figured you were trying to keep it as convenient as possible for everyone.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

I was just joking. I figured you were trying to keep it as convenient as possible for everyone.

The scary part is that I actually know my way around more of the area than some native Pittsburghers do. My friend Michele will not go to Pittsburgh's Strip District (the area where a lot of wholesale groceries are) without me playing "Native Local Guide" -- and she owns and lives in the house she grew up in, just outside the city limits. And another friend wouldn't come to a party we through the first year we lived in our current house even though Forest Hills (eastern suburbs) is maybe a half hour away from Bellevue (just northwest of the city, and the first town down the Ohio River), because he'd half to cross a river to get there.... :o).

Although the first year I lived here, I went from Highland Park to Station Square via Regent Square, the North Side, and the West End Bridge :blush: (well I'd only lived here for a week at that point, and I went the wrong way on Rt 380 -- which is called that by *nobody* as far as I can tell, except the people who put up the highway signs for PennDot) and ended up on Penn Avenue instead of Bigelow Boulevard.... Oh and I discovered that first summer that the "Green Belt" did not go all away around in a loop -- the way the Blue Belt did -- when I got to someplace like McKeesport (to this day -- even though I've been at that same stretch of road, coming off that same bridge, so I know what the signs really say -- I'd STILL swear on a stack of Bibles that it said "Green Belt ends -- welcome to the Yellow Belt..." :headsmack:

Of course, the old WQEX-16 TV sign off at the end of the evening used to say "And remember, in Pittsburgh, the shortest distance between two points is under construction! Nighty-night!"

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to drive in Pittsburgh because it's a labyrinth of nonsensical street name changes and turns that I swear are some sort of dimensional anomalies. And the tunnels... people who drive through those tunnels every work day of their grown lives will still slow down 30mph when the tunnel is in front of them. I can only assume the tunnels contain some type of elusive car devouring beast I have yet to be attacked by in 36 years. I can navigate the city, but of all the large cities I have driven in it is by far the worst to get around in. Traffic is worse in a lot of places, but Pittsburgh has it's own special sort of "you can't get there from here" that nowhere else can match. I live about 35 minutes west of the Fort Pitt Tunnels in WV, by the by. But getting into Bakery Square is just a shade too far for right now. I'd like to stop by sometime though.

I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to drive in Pittsburgh because it's a labyrinth of nonsensical street name changes and turns that I swear are some sort of dimensional anomalies. And the tunnels... people who drive through those tunnels every work day of their grown lives will still slow down 30mph when the tunnel is in front of them. I can only assume the tunnels contain some type of elusive car devouring beast I have yet to be attacked by in 36 years. I can navigate the city, but of all the large cities I have driven in it is by far the worst to get around in. Traffic is worse in a lot of places, but Pittsburgh has it's own special sort of "you can't get there from here" that nowhere else can match. I live about 35 minutes west of the Fort Pitt Tunnels in WV, by the by. But getting into Bakery Square is just a shade too far for right now. I'd like to stop by sometime though.

I live about 50 minutes south of Pittsburgh and for months I keeps wanting to go but then would think about the drive and parking and then end up staying home and doing class work. However, I decided to finally just bite the bullet and go for it this month and I am really glad that I did. It really was not nearly as bad of a drive as I thought since I came in from the east and took 837 most of the way so I avoided the downtown roads almost completely. THen the parking really surprised me because there is a parking garage that is the building right next to the meet location and parking is free under 3 hours. Was much easier than I though thats for sure.

The meet was great and I can't wait to go again!

The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance.

Nathaniel Branden

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Canonsburg. I am somewhat familiar with places in the city. Is Bakery Square in West Liberty?

No, East Liberty (Bakery Square is where the old Nabisco plant was on Penn Avenue, and is now the location of the Pittsburgh Google office, as well as the Pittsburgh Tech Shop). We did a couple of meetings at the Panera in Oakland, across from Magee Hospital, but their back room is booked months in advance.

There has been discussion of moving this month's meeting to a different location -- I gather that 15 people showed up in March. The Bakery Square Panera Bread doesn't have a back room, sadly, but there was free parking in the garage for up to three hours.

Hopefully in a week or two the alternate location will be locked in, and Josh will post the info in this forum. I'm really looking forward to it -- not only because I missed March, being out of town (and freezing my butt) in southern Mississippi, but because I have new toys to show off. B)

For you, the easiest way to get there is probably to take I-79 to the Parkway East (I-376) and get off at the exit for Braddock Avenue/Edgewood/Swissvale (yeah, I know, it means going through *both* the Ft. Pitt and Squirrel Hill tunnels :(). Turn left off the ramp, and take Braddock up through Regent Square to Penn Avenue (Rt.8), turn left, and follow Penn to Bakery Square, on the right, after the intersection with Fifth. Or, depending on traffic, get off the Parkway at the exit for Oakland, and then take Forbes over to someplace like Morewood, turn left to Baum Blvd., take Baum into Penn Circle and then turn left at some point to get to then turn right onto Penn.

Ignore Google Maps (which takes you across the street from Bakery Square... if you're looking for Bakery Square). If you plug either the Panera location or the Springhill Suites by Mariott for Bakery Square into Google maps, the Panera is on the first floor of the hotel, with the hotel registry on the second floor. (Of course those are the directions to Bakery Square itself.)

No, East Liberty (Bakery Square is where the old Nabisco plant was on Penn Avenue, and is now the location of the Pittsburgh Google office, as well as the Pittsburgh Tech Shop). We did a couple of meetings at the Panera in Oakland, across from Magee Hospital, but their back room is booked months in advance.

There has been discussion of moving this month's meeting to a different location -- I gather that 15 people showed up in March. The Bakery Square Panera Bread doesn't have a back room, sadly, but there was free parking in the garage for up to three hours.

Hopefully in a week or two the alternate location will be locked in, and Josh will post the info in this forum. I'm really looking forward to it -- not only because I missed March, being out of town (and freezing my butt) in southern Mississippi, but because I have new toys to show off. B)

For you, the easiest way to get there is probably to take I-79 to the Parkway East (I-376) and get off at the exit for Braddock Avenue/Edgewood/Swissvale (yeah, I know, it means going through *both* the Ft. Pitt and Squirrel Hill tunnels :(). Turn left off the ramp, and take Braddock up through Regent Square to Penn Avenue (Rt.8), turn left, and follow Penn to Bakery Square, on the right, after the intersection with Fifth. Or, depending on traffic, get off the Parkway at the exit for Oakland, and then take Forbes over to someplace like Morewood, turn left to Baum Blvd., take Baum into Penn Circle and then turn left at some point to get to then turn right onto Penn.

Ignore Google Maps (which takes you across the street from Bakery Square... if you're looking for Bakery Square). If you plug either the Panera location or the Springhill Suites by Mariott for Bakery Square into Google maps, the Panera is on the first floor of the hotel, with the hotel registry on the second floor. (Of course those are the directions to Bakery Square itself.)

sorry, I meant East Liberty. Before I come to a meeting, I would like more info. Is there someone I could PM with questions?