Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz - Compact Review

Jan2016

Thanks, Jan. I did see this earlier (11 days ago) but only get around to writing a word or two today here after fiddling around with this myself. I like the fact that your color here is the same very dark brown I see (again, that which my eyes see on my screen). My biggest thrill is maybe your stating that you also see no sheen.

Whee!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan2016

• Bo Bo Olson

• ethernautrix

• invisuu

I...you know what? I like it.

Now that's for sure. Ether, is this your blackety-black brown?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I am on the fence about this one. I normally only buy nice inks that SHADE. But as I said on another review of this ink, this one does have possibilities. I will have to try a sample. I wouldn't buy a bottle of this without trying it first. I usually don't like dark brownish black ink, such as Doyou. I prefer reddish browns. I thought this would be more grayish brown with lots of shading. But I will just have to see what I think after trying it in a couple of pens.

Wow Me likey :D

Thank you for posting this review!

+1

I've been waiting to see what this is going to look like. This is DEFINITELY going on the short list! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review (and not -- I keep making the mistake of looking at reviews for expensive inks... :wallbash:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

...recall me Parker Penman Mocha Ink...

Excellent review Jan2016 Thank you !! :thumbup:

Thank you Mr.Rene - that may be why I keep coming back to look at the pictures I've seen of this 'Smoky Quartz'!

A resemblance to the now-long-gone PPM would explain why this ink seems to be whispering "buy me..." in the back of my mind :)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• 2 weeks later...

Very poor picture.

Using a 140 semi-flex OB and a 150 'true' regular felx M.

The top paper is Gmund 'Blanc Beige' cream, 170 g.

The seond paper is M&K, Embossed white...no weight given but expect it to be 90g. There are three M&K papers, worth using Cheap German mail to the US. (the only paper that Brunner makes that is worth a drop of fountain pen ink. Other than M&K Do Not throw your money away on Brunner!!!!)

This 'olive' is slight...IMO. More what others said, than something I'd thought of my self.

Lousy picture.

On the first paper the Gmund, the ink is brown with a bit of olive, semi-flex is darker , while both shaded, to my surprise the semi-flex was better.

On this 170g paper it is a different brown, sort of closing in on one of the Sepias....Off the top of my mind, sort of like MB Sepia; even though I remember MB sepia as not so olive.

On the Embossed M&K paper, the lower...semi-flex is a tad more olive. Again the semi-flex shows a tad darker and OB vs M. And OB had more shading!!!

Can get use to it in a hurry, but one must give it a tad of a chance.

Will I buy it again??? Don't know must wait a while....I am happy I did buy it.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/SAM_0902_zpshtyraw04.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you for showing the different papers! I am still amazed how big the influence of paper is.

I always say, Writing is 1/3 nib width/flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink and in that order. Paper is the floor the tango is danced on.

M true regular flex, and semi-flex OB gave on both papers some difference alone in how wet semi-flex is.

If 'true' regular flex is used vs semi-nail or nail, regular flex can be a tad wetter in the tines do bend a little bit.

When one reads any of Sandy1's great reviews, the same ink, with different width nibs on four papers one can get if you put your mind to it...so often shows completely different ink, than expected.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

Now that's for sure. Ether, is this your blackety-black brown?

Hahaha! I've just been scrutinizing your browns comparison chart! I've been writing with Noodler's Brown (standard) and checking it against your samples, and this Brown definitely leans red, while the PESQ leans lusciously dark, like dip-pen walnut ink. Mmmmm. *Like*

Still very much like this standard Brown, too.

If I go through another Predominately Brown phrase, the PESQ would be a nice "contrast" ink to this N. Brown.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/SAM_0902_zpshtyraw04.jpg

Hmmm, interesting. And still an appealing color.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Got a sample recently, and have it in an older M400 Brown Tortoise. It's a bit wet for that nib (a very juicy F) but I like the color a whole lot. I definitely see a full bottle (or two) in my future....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 months later...

I'm generally very conservative when it comes to colors; there are a few bright inks I like, but only in small amounts.

This color appeals to me because it is 'quiet'. Reading several pages of a very bright ink distracts me, but I think I'll buy a bottle of this ink, just because it has a subdued quality, but still is an interesting color shade that's very distinctive.

Thanks for the excellent review! $30 is a lot of money to me when it comes to buying ink, so I've been hesitating, but your review made my mind up for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Old thread now, but after using this ink quite a lot since I bought it, I still really like its color. I can't say that about some other inks I've taken a risk on buying, especially another brown that I purchased earlier that was from a different company.

The color is most definitely brown, but the shade makes it both unusual and pleasing to the eye. It's distinctive enough, and reserved enough, to be a signature color for anyone who wants those qualities in a signature ink.

Yes it managed also to stay in my list of favorite browns. It doesn't get boring, We have a new classic beside Herbin Lie de The :D :D

Yes it managed also to stay in my list of favorite browns. It doesn't get boring, We have a new classic beside Herbin Lie de The :D :D

Until Pelikan pulls it off the shelves like they did with the great Amethyst :(

Hurray! Since re-reading this thread, two days ago, tried to re-post the picture.

Imure don't want to work for some reason...but found FPN's loading.

This is the picture, mentioned that I had on Randsombucket that was deleted.

Summery.

Using a 140 semi-flex OB and a 150 'true' regular flex M.

The top paper is Gmund 'Blanc Beige' cream, 170 g.

On the Gmund, the ink is brown with a bit of olive, semi-flex is darker , while both shaded, to my surprise the semi-flex was better.

On this 170g paper it is a different brown, sort of like MB Sepia; even though I remember MB sepia as not so olive.

The second paper is M&K, Embossed white...no weight given but expect it to be 90g. On the Embossed M&K paper, the lower...semi-flex is a tad more olive. Again the semi-flex shows a tad darker and OB vs M. And OB had more shading!!!

Can get use to the ink in a hurry, but one must give it a tad of a chance.

This 'olive' is slight...IMO. More what others said, than something I'd thought of my self.

Lousy picture.

fpn_1525984259__smoky_quartz_two.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson