Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz - Compact Review

Jan2016

Thanks to the quick service of Couronne de Comte I got a package yesterday afternoon...

Pelikan Edelstein Smokey Quartz Ink of the Year 2017

Image is high resolution and clickable.

On Tomoe River and on the almost drowning splash no sheen, so no additional sheen picture.

I like the chromo....

I am curious about your remarks!

fpn_1489292478__pelikan_edelstein_smokey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan2016

• Bo Bo Olson

• ethernautrix

• invisuu

Thank you very much for your introduction of this ink in use; I have 2 bottles on order from LCdC & as soon as the rest of the items are in stock I will also be able to try it. But there is no substitute for a "real live" example of the ink in use & I appreciate your taking the time & effort to share with us. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for this! I've been waiting for a review of this ink because I was really hoping this would be the first Pelikan ink I would enjoy, but in my VERY subjective opinion (as are thoughts about colours in general), this is a boring and uninspired colour. I know already I will hate the 2018 ink of the year edition from Pelikan, I guess my Pelikans will continue to be inked with Iroshizuku and Montblanc inks...

:) :) :)

Nothing wrong with the Iroshizuku's and MontBlancs, and I try not to give too much opinions on colors because it is very subjective, but boring and uninspiring?....

In my opinion this is a pretty good brown, and if you look at the chromo you will see it is not dull. In my eyes I would put this at the more yellowish browns but as you can see there is also red in it.

Much more the second quality (grayish) Smokey Quartz than expected or is with that paper and pen.

Another view showed more 'first' class "brown" smokey quartz. :) ....the things one can find out in the net. B) I grew up thinking the 'second' class grayish was the true color of a Smoky Quartz, to find out there was better.

I expect the coming week my B&M will have my bottle. (Not far from chocolate chip cookie Heaven --Subway....across from a filled doughnut shop..trying to be as good as Dunken Donuts at the train station.........Civilization is coming....slowly***.....one could leave a bottle of ink there no problem at all. When living in Germany....certain things are not as common as in the stated.....like having a B&M, and at least Kaufhaus put back a fountain pen island....smaller than before....but still there.

Will get three six packs of Kaweco ink too.

*** There is an American store, where everything costs 3X what it would in the States....but has Jiffy, Kraft macaroni and cheese,(the old fashioned dry ones) ....so much better than the third class German/English...Other taste of home stuff....at that cost, it is rationed. :(

Do enjoy your Jimmy Dean Sausage.....you lucky folks. :sick:

20 years ago, maple syrup was sold to the Germans in 3 oz bottles as medicine, and is all over in regular size from when the Germans could afford to fly to NY for a week-end's shopping.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

:) :) :)

Nothing wrong with the Iroshizuku's and MontBlancs, and I try not to give too much opinions on colors because it is very subjective, but boring and uninspiring?....

In my opinion this is a pretty good brown, and if you look at the chromo you will see it is not dull. In my eyes I would put this at the more yellowish browns but as you can see there is also red in it.

Like I said, completely subjective, but compared to Montblancs' limited edition Lucky Orange, this is boring to me. I heavily dislike browns, olives, and turquoise, so I am biased as all hell.

Once again, thanks a lot for the mini review, I was heavily anticipating one.

Edited by invisuu

Paper has a big influence. This is done on Tomoe, but you can see at the splash card that it changes character.

And now being very very subjective... :-)

On Tomoe and lightly used it is definitely yellowish for me, (and I see I have to clean my scanner...), but on the absorbing swap card the splash is more reddish, and when very heavily used even almost black, while the writing is more yellowish...

That is why I like ink!

BTW I am not going to tell you what I see in the splash...

fpn_1489319716__quartz.jpg

@ invisuu

Yes this is definitely for the brown and murky green lovers :D :D

Nothing bright and shiny in this one...

-_- Don't impress me much..to dark to my taste..recall me Parker Penman Mocha Ink...Excellent review Jan2016 Thank you !! :thumbup:

Looks better than I expected to be honest. I was concerned from the bottle images that this would be a tad watery. It looks a little yama-guri-ish. Not sure I'll be running out to buy a bottle.

Thank you for your review. I hope others post photos when they have time.

One thing I've learned is that ink doesn't always look the same. I got a bottle of Mont Blanc Toffee Brown. I put it in a Lamy with 1.5 nib and a Levenger True Writer with a broad nib. After writing with both pens, the results looked like two different browns.

Maybe buy a sample first and give this ink a chance if you are at all interested. Pen, nib, and paper all play a part in how the ink looks.

Edited for typo

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice review! This is "different", which is good. But it really isn't something I would use. But thank you for sharing!

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks a lot for this! I've been waiting for a review of this ink because I was really hoping this would be the first Pelikan ink I would enjoy, but in my VERY subjective opinion (as are thoughts about colours in general), this is a boring and uninspired colour. I know already I will hate the 2018 ink of the year edition from Pelikan, I guess my Pelikans will continue to be inked with Iroshizuku and Montblanc inks...

This is interesting.

Do you dislike the Edelstein Topaz?

If so, I think that you may well be the first person I've seen 'admit' to that on FPN.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I've recently discovered I like some varieties of brown ink, but this one isn't for me at all.