I am enjoying some of my turquoise inks and thought I would share some thoughts about them.

Here's a writing sample:

fpn_1489286888__turq_2_sm.jpg

This is done on Xerox UltraWhite copy paper. On this paper, the sheen of these inks does not show as readily as on Tomoe River or Clairefontaine papers.

1). Waterman South Seas (now Inspired Blue) - 9/10: This is one of my very favorite inks. It is one of those inks that works well in just about every fountain pen I have. It shades beautifully and has a lovely sheen on Tomoe River and Clairefontaine papers, and even on my Cambridge notebook paper. It is dries fairly quickly and cleans easily. It is very little water resistance, however. The ink does not feather or bleedthrough except on the cheapest papers, and does not readily showthrough. For those who like medium turquoise, this is a winner!

2). Franklin Christoph Spanish Blue - 8/10: This is one of my newest turquoise inks. It is just a bit bluer than Waterman South Seas or J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche. I first tried it my TWSBI Diamond 580 with medium nib. The ink flows very nicely and behaves very well. I then tried it in my Delta Capri Marina with broad fusion nib. This is a very wet pen and really shows off the beautiful shading with some sheen of this ink. The ink dries fairly quickly but, again, has little water resistance. I also like the fact that it doesn't feather or bleed through on inexpensive papers.

3). J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche - 7/10: This was one of the first turquoise inks which I purchased. I loved it then, and still love it today. Very reliable in almost every pen, it shades and sheens beautifully especially on Tomoe River paper. Like almost all of my inks, Bleu Pervenche has little water resistance. Unfortunately, of all the turquoises in this line up, it feathers and bleedsthrough the worst on cheap paper.

4). DeAtramentis Mint Turquoise - 7/10: This medium greenish turquoise is another lovely ink. It seems to be a bit drier than the others shown, particularly in my Lamy Al-Star. But it does behave well and shades very nicely on any paper I use it on. It dries fairly quickly, but has little water resistance. There is minimal feathering and bleedthrough on inexpensive papers.

5). DeAtramentis Steel Blue - 8/10: This is a lovely dark turquoise that behaves well in every pen I have used it in. Even in my driest pen, it lubricates and flows nicely. It is a little bit more work to clean than the others, however. Steel Blue takes a bit longer to dry on the paper, and does bleedthrough on inexpensive paper, but not excessively so. It does have a small amount of water resistance. I use this ink frequently for business purposes.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• JayHomeBody

• lapis

• cleosmama

Your penmanship is amazing! Also, this is such a cool idea, I'm going to try to remember this when i start collecting more inks!

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

What! No Lamy or Pelikan Turquoise? Thank you for this anyway! :D

Thank you for your comments! Yes, I have those and many others. These are just the ones I had loaded in my pens today. Perhaps I will do this again with others.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Your penmanship is amazing! Also, this is such a cool idea, I'm going to try to remember this when i start collecting more inks!

Thank you for your comment! Actually, this isn't my idea. There are many here, including amberleadavis, who are far more creative.

Thank you for your comment! Actually, this isn't my idea. There are many here, including amberleadavis, who are far more creative.

Well that's a relief, because i'm not creative at aaaaaaall. Nice to know i've joined a big creative community. I try to think up cool ways to do things and my brain turns to static!

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

Thank you for sharing this! These are great comparisons. I agree with the author about turquoise inks being more "blue" than green.

Edited by DrPenfection

Having clicked the link...realize how few Turquoise inks I have. Only 6 or so.

So which turquoise inks shade the best?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I love turquoise stone jewelry and the color. I'm gonna look into these inks. Thanks!

Having clicked the link...realize how few Turquoise inks I have. Only 6 or so.

So which turquoise inks shade the best?

All of the ones above shade very nicely on Tomoe River paper. Today, I have been writing with Franklin Christoph Spanish Blue and have really noticed great shading and sheen even on my notebook paper.

When it comes to shading most of the turquoise inks shade really well. I have several Callifolio blue-turquoise-green inks and they shade wonderfully. I have never tried Diamine Turquoise but have heard great things about it. I did try Noodler's Havasu Turquoise and like that, but it leaves a film that can smear particularly on Clairefontane papers which I don't like.

I love turquoise stone jewelry and the color. I'm gonna look into these inks. Thanks!

You are welcome! I hope it is helpful.

You are wonderful! This is wonderful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I might look into getting a sample of Franklin Christoph Spanish Blue. That looks pretty cool.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• 4 weeks later...

Don't even get me started on turquoise and teal inks. They are second only to purple in how much of a sucker I am for them. Every time I look at buying ink from a brand I haven't tried before, I always-always-always gravitate to the purples, teals and turquoises, and have to make myself look at the other colors.

And I do own several of these and others.

Lots of others.

Edited by Aquaria

• 2 years later...

You are wonderful! This is wonderful.

Just imitating you, amberleadavis!

I might look into getting a sample of Franklin Christoph Spanish Blue. That looks pretty cool.

I do like this ink, but it is a bit drier than some of the others.

I started out not really liking turquoise inks all that much, other than Noodler's Navajo Turquoise -- which is a dead ringer color for the actual gemstone.

Then I found a 3/4 full pint bottle of vintage Skrip Peacock in an antiques mall up in the boonies of NW PA a few summers ago. And now know why people wax nostalgic for it almost as much as they do for Parker Penman Sapphire.... :wub:

So that started the hunt to find a modern equivalent (I was the same way with blue-blacks, after starting to flush out my first vintage Esterbrook). Haven't yet tried every turquoise ink on the market, but the closest I've found so far that gives me the color, shading, and that edge crispness on lines that people refer to as "haloing" is Diamine Turquoise (and no, modern Skrip Turquoise does not come close).

I've since morphed a little into cerulean blues as well (particularly De Atramentis Sky Blue and Iroshizuku Kon-Peki). Have not really found a darker, more teal shade that I like, other than MB Leo Tolstoy LE (now wishing I'd bought a second bottle when I had had the chance).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

I've been meaning to contribute to this thread, finally found the time; not easy to capture with a photo, here's my best shot.

19120209482024960416537448.jpg

The darker hue for Kon Peki slowly grow on me, it took me seemingly endless rotations to find the medium hue. Ama Iro can be very similar but is somehow more calm, perhaps because in this combination it produces way less shading.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I've been meaning to contribute to this thread, finally found the time; not easy to capture with a photo, here's my best shot.

19120209482024960416537448.jpg

The darker hue for Kon Peki slowly grow on me, it took me seemingly endless rotations to find the medium hue. Ama Iro can be very similar but is somehow more calm, perhaps because in this combination it produces way less shading.

I love this! Thank you for sharing!