• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• inkstainedruth

• Mercian

• Uncial

Perhaps the higher price is for the pen box.

That's a nice box, though I wouldn't pay that much for it.

Yes nice box indeed...but neglected nib...a BIG mistake by Lamy.. :bawl:

Looking at this and the 50th anniversary 2000, they do seem lazy upgrades. Almost as if the company has been sold to a hedge fund who just want to milk it.

Come on Lamy, your reputation is built on good, honest, well engineered pens. Get back there before you lose your following.

Spot on review.

I have at least one Lamy 2000 running with a Nakaya for back up.

For my birthday, I was given a Lx Palladium. The nib was terrible. Scratchy with terrible ink flow.

The Amber is simply ridiculous - but that is for another post topic.

Thanks for the review. I like this color best of the LX pens, but not enough to justify the extra price.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

totally agree, I think what lamy is trying to do is to create another line of pens to make you believe they are "Special" and more unique than what you usually see. They are good pens in my opinion but sometimes it can be a little bit disappointing when there is no much difference. And the first example to that is Lamy 2000 black amber.

On Current Use: Montblanc 147 LeGrand Traveler burgundy 14K M | Montblanc Rouge et Noir 14K M | Visconti Rembrandt blue (M) | Waterman expert 3 |NOODLER'S Ahab Flex | Lamy Joy 1.1 stub|.

Thank for for an excellent review. It was also most useful in confirming my suspicion that this is a model to avoid.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is a fantastic review with great photos - thank you. I am a Safari lover and contemplated starting a collection of the Lx line before they produced too many for me to catch up with, but I secretly harboured all the doubts that you have stated in your review and I am so glad to have read this. I am now convinced to leave the Lx line alone. Thank you.

• 3 years later...

I like my LX’s they write great and they have much better anodizing than the AlStar. So if you are a little rough with youre daily carry, LX is definitely better. But I will be honest, the first LX I was sent was dry and scratchy. The second two I recived in Fine and Extra Fine are fantastic. I’ve just gotten in to fountain and writing for that matter. So  this world is new to me. I find a lot of the same stuff is rereleased nothing new. But I guess you can’t do much with something that is already near perfect.

7 hours ago, Onemoa said:

I like my LX’s they write great and they have much better anodizing than the AlStar. So if you are a little rough with youre daily carry, LX is definitely better. 

One good reason to try the LX is If the anodizing of the LX pens is much better than the one in the Alstar.

I have one LX now -- one in Ruthenium.  And basically ONLY because I got a great deal on it when Lamy's old US distributor was having a closeout sale (so I paid less for it than I did for any of the Safaris).  Would I buy another one?  Probably not.  

Given that I can buy an SE color of either a Safari or an al-Star for the "normal" price of their standard lineup?  I wouldn't pay the "normal" price for an LX.  But for $25 US (which was the closeout price on the LX I bought)?  Sure, why not? B) 

Of course I still had to buy a converter for it at the regular US price, because the old distributor was flat out of those....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 months later...

Just getting started at reviewing and reading and responding to the various forums and posts. I love Lamy, especially Safaris and Al-Stars (Safaris more so). I was intrigued by your post. I have all of my Lamys on my desk in front of me and picked up my 'silver-blue' Al-Star to compare to your photos. I think you're right on about the small differences in the pens and the extra cost. I really prefer my Al-Star to the LX in your photos.

Sorry for your experience. Thank you for posting though.