Ink Review: Monteverde Horizon Blue

ErrantSmudge

Or #13. Short answer, PPS is the same shade as both Horizon Blue and Blue Velvet. Sheen and flow might be a little different, but PPS was never loved for its flow characteristics.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• radellaf

• dcwaites

• Bo Bo Olson

For those chasing the sheen aspect, I have found that Diamine's Blue Velvet is more inclined to sheen than the Monteverde Horizon Blue. I do tend to use quite wet writers thigh, so still get a bit of sheen from MHB.

For those chasing the sheen aspect, I have found that Diamine's Blue Velvet is more inclined to sheen than the Monteverde Horizon Blue. I do tend to use quite wet writers thigh, so still get a bit of sheen from MHB.

This has also been my experience. I have both Blue Velvet and MHB, and Blue Velvet is sheenier.

MHB sheens quite well for me in wet nibs.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not terribly exciting, but I agree it's well behaved. If I didn't already have a go to "boring" blue, then this would be a contender for sure.

Not getting any of that sheen, then again I did just finish playing with O.S. Nitrogen. So maybe my sheen receptors just need a chance to adjust back to reality.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a sample of MHB now and really like it. Looks just like Noodlers Liberty Elysium to me, but better behaved. So far, so good.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a sample of this from Anderson Pens a few months ago but didn't buy a bottle, even though I liked it quite a bit. Thanks for commenting and bringing this thread back to the top. It reminded me to order a bottle.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 6 months later...

Great review, was forced off the subway on Friday, due to delay, and found an art's supply store and purchased a smaller bottle of this ink.

Very happy with it!

Just added this one to my list of 'need to try' inks!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I find it is a very wet ink in a medium nib IMHO. On cheaper paper, it will really bleed through unlike Monteverde Amethyst. I have an empty prescription container so I will mix 5 parts Amethyst with 1 part Horizon Blue this weekend and make a Blurple.

Dangit Monteverde, stop it. I don't need more blues :o :o

Maybe that's why they spell it "Blōō": bl... oh-oh!

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I would have to stop by and click on that link. Now it's in my list at Amazon.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

That's why i resurrected the link last week, to get a good ink back in our impulse-buying lives.... :D

and maybe get you interested in Monteverde inks, if you ain't alreadeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

Edited by torstar

• 1 year later...

Thank you for your initial review and forgive me for running into your thread, but since I found pics of this ink in my files I might as well add them here. :)

fpn_1598863256__2020_07_23_monteverde_ho

Monteverde Horizon Blue came to me as a small sample that I put into a Sailor Nagasawa Kobe Proske (1911s = Profit Standard) Clear Demonstrator with a Zoom nib that is perfectly usable on both sides and from all angles. As a result of using this juicy nib the Horizon Blue really brightened every page.

fpn_1598863279__2020_07_23_monteverde_ho

Since I only had a sample of Horizon Blue that was gone in two or three days in this wet nib, I cannot add any long-term experiences. :wacko:

Glad you did revisit this thread Julie! Blue Pelikan will have its first fill with Monteverde Horizon Blue & then Sapphire. Your photo confirmed the color choice. Thanks!

Unsure why I waited so long.. somehow only the truest blue seemed best for a for a first Pelikan, & to be used in a special project.

Now to figure out proper fill.. not jet streaming ink across the room (cheery smile).