Ink Review: Monteverde Capri Blue

ErrantSmudge

Monteverde's revamped line of inks recently got my attention for their comprehensive lineup of clear, distinct hues, as well as good value. A 90ml bottle can be had for about $13-$15 USD from the better known online retailers in the United States, making it a very good deal.
Monteverde touts their "ITF Technology". From Monteverde's promotional material, here's how it claims to benefit us writers:

Fountain Pen Ink with ITF™ Technology
  • Ink Treatment Formula
  • Improves Ink Flow
  • Extends Cap-off Time
  • Lubricates Feeding System
  • Improves Ink Drying Time
At my recent visit to the 2017 LA Pen Show, Monteverde gave a free bottle of Malibu Blue ink to all show attendees. A company representative had all their inks available for sampling with swabs, as well as show discounts.
I brought home four bottles of Monteverde ink, and post-show I've purchased a few more online:
  • Malibu Blue
  • Capri Blue
  • Horizon Blue
  • Sapphire Blue
Monteverde also offers two blues I am missing: Caribbean Blue (turquoise), and a Blue-Black. I am posting individual reviews for each of the four Monteverde inks I have.
I filled a variety of pens with these four inks, with nibs ranging from fine to double-broad stubs. Here's a snapshot from my Bullet Journal Ink Log, showing the pen/ink assignments and a writing sample from each.
fpn_1489099623__monteverde_inks.jpg
Monteverde Capri Blue
Capri Blue is a "fun" ink, the least formal of the four Monteverde blues I have tried. Here it is on Clairefontaine paper.
fpn_1488844212__mv_capri_blue_safari.jpg
Color/Saturation
Capri Blue is a bright shade of blue that starts to veer towards turquoise, but I stop short of calling it a turquoise. To me, it is still a blue.
Shading/Sheening
Capri Blue does shade nicely on both Clairefontaine and Tomoe River paper, with the Pilot's broad stub nib as well as the Safari's fine nib. On the Tomoe River paper, some red sheening appears with this ink.
fpn_1489099953__mv_capri_blue_shading_tr
Flow
This ink does not flow as freely as some of the other Monteverde inks. With my Pilot 78G BB Italic pen, Capri Blue left the pen dry immediately after filling from the bottle! The pen wouldn't start, and even after priming the nib it wrote dry for an entire page. The 78G pen was brand new when I filled it (I pre-flushed the pen before filling), so this might be a cause.
The hard start problem has not repeated itself since. I have checked back with this particular pen every few days to see if the problem reappeared. Still, this ink writes somewhat dry in my Pilot 78G BB Italic pens. My Lamy Safari has medium flow with Capri Blue.
Lubrication
Lubrication is also fairly good with this ink in the Safari.
Dry Time
Dry time is moderate, between 25 and 30 seconds on Clairefontaine paper from the Safari.
Feathering
Capri Blue performs well and feathers minimally on the cheap office pad paper used in this test.
fpn_1489099929__mv_capri_blue_office_pad
Bleedthrough
Bleedthrough/showthrough is moderate with the the cheap office pad paper.
fpn_1489099797__mv_capri_blue_bleedthrou
Water Resistance
Capri Blue is not a water-resistant ink in the 10 second immersion test.
Before
fpn_1489100241__img20170309_14280000.jpg
After
fpn_1489100316__img20170309_14581340.jpg
Comparison with Other Inks
Here's a comparison tile with several turquoise and light blue inks.
NB: The tile labeled "Sheaffer Turquoise" is actually the discontinued Sheaffer Peacock Blue ink.
fpn_1489112494__turquoise_survey.jpg
Edited by ErrantSmudge

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• cleosmama

• antichresis

• visvamitra

Thank you for the thorough review and the first one for this ink. I like that you say it is dry. For my purposes, this will make it less unwieldy on the cheap paper I am forced by circumstance to use. More and more I am gravitating towards "sky blues" with no green for my "turquoise" and this has shot up as a strong contender.

What (true) turquoises do you have, and how does this compare to them?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I love the shading in the sample on Tomoe River paper. It reminds me of Lamy Turquoise, a favorite of mine.

Thank you for the thorough review and the first one for this ink. I like that you say it is dry. For my purposes, this will make it less unwieldy on the cheap paper I am forced by circumstance to use. More and more I am gravitating towards "sky blues" with no green for my "turquoise" and this has shot up as a strong contender.

What (true) turquoises do you have, and how does this compare to them?

I have updated the review with a sample tile of all the turquoises and sky blues in my collection, and one that isn't (I gave away the Caran d'Ache ink as a PIF).

Some notes:

1. The Diamine Tropical Blue is a limited edition ink which is no longer available.
  2. The tile labeled "Sheaffer Turquoise" is really Sheaffer Peacock, a discontinued ink.
  3. The Caran d'Ache ink is discontinued as well.

I love the shading in the sample on Tomoe River paper. It reminds me of Lamy Turquoise, a favorite of mine.

I also love Lamy Turquoise, and Capri Blue shades very similar.
Edited by ErrantSmudge

I have updated the review with a sample tile of all the turquoises and sky blues in my collection, and one that isn't (I gave away the Caran d'Ache ink as a PIF).

Thank you :drool:

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Thank you for the comparison. You've done some terrific reviews of these inks (I know quite a few people were asking for reviews of them).

Very nice review. I may have to keep this one for the future.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 1 month later...

Interesting shading, but it looks close to Kon-Peki and Waterman Turquoise-Name-du-Jour. I already have those, and not enough is here to tempt me.

"Waterman Turquoise-Name-du-Jour" - haha.

In Capri Blue's favor, you can buy a 90ml bottle for less than half the cost of a 50ml bottle of Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, making Capri Blue roughly 1/4 the cost.