Parker 75 Repair (Australia)

chardon713

Hi

This is my very first post ... so hope I am doing it right!

I have a Parker 75 where the threads on the plastic nib section are so worn that the barrel no longer securely connects.

Professional advice varies as to whether this can be repaired.

I would have thought a simple replacement of the plastic section would do it .... one repairer says it cannot be done (no spares for this model), another says I need a new section with new nib.

Grateful if anyone can advise

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• chardon713

• the_gasman

• dadbar

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You replace the section.

Which section you need will determine cost.

Sections are available.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

And nib units are easily moved.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You replace the section.

Which section you need will determine cost.

Sections are available.

Todd

Yes, sections are available but may not be easy to find. You may need to do a bit of searching on-line, especially if you are after the mark 1 or 2 sections (that have the wide metallic bands near the nib end), which take the thin feeds. The mark 3 section (with the thin gold band) takes the thicker, finned feed/collector and is slightly more common. At least, that has been my experience.

If you assiduously follow Ebay auctions you occasionally (maybe that should be rarely) get a 75 with a battered barrel and/or cap but with a reasonable looking section. That's how I found a replacement section. I got mine by buying a Parker Premier that was rusty, battered, chipped, and (to add insult to injury) extravagantly and ostentatiousy engraved in gold with the name "Jim". It was a sad sight as it was a Chinese Laque Premier – in its day, one of the most expensive of the Premier range. Fortunately for me, when I got the pen my usual routine of flushing and US bathing did not reveal any trace of ink. I suspect that it was bought as a gift for someone with no interest in fountain pens and who never used it. I kept the nib and section but rather than put the cap and barrel in the bin I sent it to a restorer friend in case he could harvest something useful from it, like a cap clutch. What a humbling end for a once great pen.

Whether through a dealer, repairer, or by buying a sacrificial tatty 75 you may spend around £40 (or its equivalent in A$) plus postage. In fact, it might not cost much more to buy a fairly reasonable whole pen so you may have a judgement to make on how much to invest in a replacement part.

Cheers,

David.

Try wrapping the thread with some thin adhesive tape. Start with one revolution and take it from there. This worked with one of my sections with bad threads.