New Pelikan Edelstein Ink Of The Year 2017 Smoky Quartz

Fritz Schimpf

Havana Brown to my disappointment was not a shading ink.

I'm waiting for a yellow pen....in I was so snobbish having one '90's 400*** to 'know' I didn't need a 200, when I picked up my 605 at Galleria Kaufhaus.

How was I to know yellow pens are so rare, I still don't have one.

***A 200's nib matches the '82-97 400, 381 and either the gold or steel Celebry nibs. A very good springy 'true' regular flex nib.

I was able to ignore the aquamarine pen....I'll ignore the brown quartz one too. There are some vintage pens I 'need' more.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• sargetalon

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I know it's just me but I think that is a horrible colour. I can't imagine when I would use such a colour. :(

Well, I know it's just me but I think that is a horrible colour. I can't imagine when I would use such a colour. :(

Same. I'm waiting patiently for a proper review, but so far I am not impressed.

This is Pelikan's chance to do a brown tortoise M600 LE and to make tons of money. I hope they don't screw it up. Someone asked them about it on the Pelikan FB page and they didn't rule out the possibility, so there is hope.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That's great. After I thought

I found a nice brown by

Sietz-Kreuznach Chestnut Brown.

Now I guess I have to buy a

M600 Brown Tortoise to go with

my M400 Brown Tortoise......

Gaawwhhhhh..........LOL......

Don't forget Sailor made a new ink for Bungu Box, Tortoise Brown, introduced for sale to complement the introduction of Pelikan's 400 Brown Tortoise. (It really never ends.)

This is Pelikan's chance to do a brown tortoise M600 LE and to make tons of money. I hope they don't screw it up. Someone asked them about it on the Pelikan FB page and they didn't rule out the possibility, so there is hope.

I like the sound of that ! Except this is not the best time for me to be spending on pens, we are saving for a new car. We don't really need a new car, our 2004 Subaru Forester is still running like a top, but with 300,000+ miles on it we are in the process of convincing ourselves that we deserve a new car.

I think this ink will be very nib and paper sensitive.

Here it's said to be similar to Toffee Brown....the first review looks black gray...with brown undertones.

Sometime next week mine will come in.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'll be skipping this one. It looks like Lie de The, but with none of the charm.

Edited by Aquaria

Found a box with my bottle in it on the porch this afternoon... too bad I'm in the middle of painting a bathroom. Paint first, play with ink tomorrow.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

OK, I have a bathroom to paint but I couldn't wait to see what this ink looks like from a pen so before I grab the paint roller I inked up a pen with Edelstein Smoky Quartz and gave it a quick look-see.

First impression? It's OK. I like it well enough. Won't probably become a favorite and I doubt I'll buy another bottle soon or lay in a big stash (first impression, mind you). Seems to shade some. Where the Brilliant Brown has a reddish tendency and MB Toffee Brown has a rich toffee character, this Smokey Quartz seems to want to hint at grey or even olive... but that may just be the light and the different papers playing tricks on me. Brilliant Brown remains my favorite, with Toffee Brown a very close second.

It may grow on me, and like I said, this is not a real ink test or ink review, just some old guy writing a couple lines to see what it looks like. I'd love to hear other people chime in on it when their bottles arrive. And I want to try it in a couple other pens (this Black B writes a bit drier than the other two and I want to give the ink a fair shake), so we might grow more enthusiastic if i find a better pen for it.

What do you think?

post-131534-0-36742300-1489506347_thumb.jpg

Don't know what paper you are using, but that is in between the two views I've seen so far. Thanks for delaying the work to let us see.

I think as I said this will be nib and paper sensitive.

Semi-flex in different widths, will be different that the somewhat dryer 'true' regular flex and more than likely even dryer semi-nails.....tine spread is one thing.

Adjusting a less flexible pen to write wetter another.

Someone else will have to test that.

I hope a few test it with wetter or wider or narrow nibs. I really don't want to ink too many pens for this. A semi-flex M and a regular flex M....can be dug up by me.

I can see using three or papers, in that can make a great difference as Sandy1, :notworthy1: proves all the time.

Just a photograph, in I don't have hours to learn how to finally use my scanner that has sat in it's dust since new. Procrastination is my main hobby.

Where the Brilliant Brown has a reddish tendency and MB Toffee Brown has a rich toffee character, this Smokey Quartz seems to want to hint at grey or even olive...

That's what I was hoping for.... :wub: :wub:

Thanks for taking the time...

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

That's what I was hoping for.... :wub: :wub:

Thanks for taking the time...

C.

To my eye it is more a suggestion of a hint. ;) I suppose I could be convinced there is some slight olive to it, but I just don't see any grey.

Like others, Lie de The is the ink that came to mind for me after I inked an M600 with SQ today. Perhaps SQ is a touch darker than LdT.

SQ seems to have at least some water resistance. After a 5 minute soak, all the brown washed off but the writing was still mostly there to be read.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Taupe grows on you. All of the other M205s based on the IOTY have been demonstrators so I suspect that if they continue with the series, the next pen will be as well.

So we'll likely be looking at a slightly darker version of the M200 amber/cognac demos but with silver-tone trim.

+1 on the taupe 205.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Like others, Lie de The is the ink that came to mind for me after I inked an M600 with SQ today. Perhaps SQ is a touch darker than LdT.

SQ seems to have at least some water resistance. After a 5 minute soak, all the brown washed off but the writing was still mostly there to be read.

A slightly darker Lie de The and some water resistance is probably enough to sell me. I'm still waiting for a few more reviews but it looks like I'm adding another ink.

^^ BillH - Thanks for the comparison. The Edelstein is pretty interesting; I might relent and try it, after all.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Bo Bo, and everyone, I tried it on three different papers...a Black n' Red notebook, a cheapie school notebook, and my Canson Mixed Media sketchbook. The olive hint is definitely there, it was the first thing my wife noticed when I showed it to her. The smoky, or grey, hint seems to be paper and light dependent. Like so many complex inks I think this one will be real pen, paper, and light dependent.

Didn't try the water test... saving any more ink testing for the weekend and this will be the first item on the playlist. Thanks Striated.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a wonderful, deep brown ink with plenty of shading. The nearest colour to it (at least in my collection) is Diamine Chocolate Brown. It also reminds me of Iroshizuku Yama-guri but not as dark and therefore more interesting to the eye. I hope Pelikan will also bring it out in cartridge format.

The irritating thing about Pelikan, however, is that they bring out interesting products as limited editions and thus prevent pen lovers from having a reliable supply. Perhaps this ink will become so popular as to be added to their permanent list, though.

As for a matching pen, I think a 200 would be too close to the Cognac demonstrator, so I hope they will bring out a 600 or even an 800 Smoky Quartz demonstrator!

This is a wonderful, deep brown ink with plenty of shading. The nearest colour to it (at least in my collection) is Diamine Chocolate Brown. It also reminds me of Iroshizuku Yama-guri but not as dark and therefore more interesting to the eye. I hope Pelikan will also bring it out in cartridge format.

The irritating thing about Pelikan, however, is that they bring out interesting products as limited editions and thus prevent pen lovers from having a reliable supply. Perhaps this ink will become so popular as to be added to their permanent list, though.

As for a matching pen, I think a 200 would be too close to the Cognac demonstrator, so I hope they will bring out a 600 or even an 800 Smoky Quartz demonstrator!

Thank you for this. I have some to review and will compare it with Diamine Chocolate Brown. Sadly, I don't have P.I. Yama-guri. :(