New Pelikan Edelstein Ink Of The Year 2017 Smoky Quartz

Fritz Schimpf

The new Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year 2017 Smoky Quartz has arrived today. We have made a quick comparison with other known brown inks. The color is not as warm/red as the Hazelnut Brown by Graf von Faber-Castell or the Toffee Brown by Montblanc:

post-80974-0-17438600-1488809099_thumb.jpg

The closest match we have found is the Diamine Macassar. The Smoky Quartz is a very nice brown ink which is a really nice addition to the Edelstein ink offer.

Best regards

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• BillH

• sargetalon

• Kugelschreiber

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, thank you!

I like it, especially that the red seems to be toned down from other inks. And less golden than the Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown (thus "smoky"?). I'm sure I'll grab a bottle when one of my favorite ink vendors gets it in stock.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Thanks, ....not sure if I had a swab test done at my B&M on the GvFC Hazelnut brown or from Reviews here, but it was too reddish or not what I wanted in a brown.

I guess in swabs MB Toffee looks more reddish than with writing in I never thought of it as having red. 4001 brown is boarders on too red for me.

I had a more gray smoky quartz in mind my self, until I looked it up and Pelikans ink appears to be more what folks prefer with that gem stone. ""It ranges from a light yellowish brown to a brown that is so dark that it appears to be black. Less-desirable :( specimens have a grayish brown color. When cut as a gem, stones with an orangish brown to a reddish brown color are preferred by many people.""

Sigh, exposed to second quality thinking it was the way things was.

The two old '90's Pelikan Grey's, gray and silver gray...were nice grays....maybe they will bring it back as 4001. I have a few old cartridge boxes from then.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That's about the shade that I was hoping for so I'll plan to pick a bottle up soon.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

If you don't need two day shipping it is up on Amazon now. Haven't seen any US shops with it yet.

Hmmm. This looks nice -- I like Macassar alright, but this appears to be a bit warmer/yellower. And I wasn't enthralled when I tried Toffee Brown, in spite of the number of people who think of it as their go-to brown ink.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My B&M in Heidelberg didn't have it, so I had them order it for me...Probably next week, I'll get a call. I was going with in two blocks of it today, and had hoped to kill two stones with one bird.

Have three Kaweco ink's to pick up six packs of there....

Will look at Zander paper names....so I can go home and check my Zander sample book. Good to better Zander papers can go from 16-18E a ream and a half a ream, if I recall there was four better different papers.

I have some Zander Bond 80g paper from the '70's that is a slight bit better than the new. That was from back in the Golden Age of Paper.

Do remember to get some good to better paper when you pick up your next Edelstein ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice to finally see it after all the anticipation and the color is good but having Macassar and Yama-guri, not much need for this.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

My go to brown is Herbin, Lie d' Thee`, in it shades so well.

I never saw how MB Collodi could be called a brown...in to me it was a red.

Toffee will shade with good to better paper. Waterman not.

Does this mean we'll see a matchigng pen, perhaps a 200/205?

Something like an M200 the same color as the Cafe Creme's cap and knob but the with the barrel the same as well? That might be nice... better than Taupe (imho).

Something like an M200 the same color as the Cafe Creme's cap and knob but the with the barrel the same as well? That might be nice... better than Taupe (imho).

Taupe grows on you. All of the other M205s based on the IOTY have been demonstrators so I suspect that if they continue with the series, the next pen will be as well.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

once that ink available in my nearest pen shop, i will buy it A.S.A.P

pelikan edelstein ink of the year never disappointed me :)

Taupe grows on you. All of the other M205s based on the IOTY have been demonstrators so I suspect that if they continue with the series, the next pen will be as well.

Another demonstrator, yes, I believe you're right... a guy can hope for a little different though. So far this year there seems to be a lack of announcements and releases so if our minds wander a little it oughtn't surprise anyone.

I've been looking at the picture you posted in the demonstrator thread of your wonderful collection and I just can't figure where a good Smoky Quartz demonstrator would fit, colorwise. Somewhere between the Anthracite and the Cognac I imagine. Might be a hard one to pull off but I'd buy it.

I can't remember, has there been a pen released for every IOTY?

Just for Amethyst and Aquamarine. Nothing before that. This would potentially be the 3rd such release.

Pelikan was none too happy about last years leaks so they've really cracked down on them. That's why there aren't as many rumored releases this year.

Edited by sargetalon

Does this mean we'll see a matchigng pen, perhaps a 200/205?

This listing for the ink seems to suggest so:

Voor 2017 is dit de kleur Smoky Quartz, in dezelfde kleur zal er later in dit jaar ook een special edition vulpen beschikbaar zijn.

For 2017 this is the colour Smoky Quartz, in the same colour a special edition fountain pen will be available later this year.

Hmmm, wonder how similar it is (or not) to Waterman Havana Brown? My favorite brown....