Sheaffer's Skrip Permanent Blue Black #22 (Vintage)

white_lotus

#22 shading is better than the 3X cartridge or the Slovenian ink in the Sheaffer Dollar Pen. Not much shading in the Parker but that seems par for the course to me;-) BTW I have since tried the Parker on some other paper where it wrote normal rather than its usual wet but at least it wasn't dry. Color is about the same, though.

I see Hero Dux Black on eBay but no other color.

I have some very dark blue-black ink from Fahrney's that I can't find any green in. I like it but it is from a couple generations ago when they had inks made by Private Reserve but with their own color names though the bottles looked the same. I suspected that some were stock PR colors and others were not. I could never find anything at the PR site that matched this blue-black. Then they just carried rebranded PR, with PR color names, which appears to be available from them today. But now they also have inks in 75ml bottles that look different and do not carry PR names. Slovenia strikes again?-) This stuff is a nice color but not close to being my ideal blue-black.

Diamine Asa Blue is close to 54th Mass.

PR American Blue looks a very dark turquoise to me.

I had some Parker Permanent Blue Black -- presumably in cartridges since I have no more. I have no idea where that came from and Parker ink seems to me to keep changing with time and country of origin. It is between Bad Blue Heron and the Fahrney's.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• bob_hayden

• Tweel

• white_lotus

It sounds like #22 will need to go in my vintage flex pens to reach it's full potential.

That's a shame about Dux 402 not being easily obtainable. The color is wonderful and it has a very vintage feel to it. I'm pretty sure it has some iron gall content as well. My Estie LJ is drinking it up right now.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I got a bottle and it is much lighter. Here is a comparison with other Sheaffer blue-black ink. This was a test for my own use so not all the notes will make sense but the ink colors should come through.

http://statland.org/PenPix/BBnew.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience. One of the challenges when buying vintage inks are the many unknowns such as how old was the ink, much much was used by the previous owner before it sat in the desk drawer until we obtained it, as well as unknown effects due to unknown storage conditions.

I will note again that the pen I used is quite a wet one, probably 7 on a scale of 10. And while I know my iPhone images once uploaded to FPN read darker, they are not so far off as to take a light ink and make it look dark.

I don't have any experience with any inks "back in the day" so I can't comment about how a vintage ink "such have looked".

Interesting, since my bottle is from the same batch as Bob's, it looks like I'm going to have to let it evaporate a little to get that nice darker color.

As this old ink is marked "permanent" I am wondering if it is an iron gall ink.

No, it's a simple mix of turquoise and royal blue dyes.

One of the challenges when buying vintage inks are the many unknowns such as how old was the ink, much much was used by the previous owner before it sat in the desk drawer until we obtained it, as well as unknown effects due to unknown storage conditions.

Very true! I've had some duds. Luckily, not in this case: pre-RC-35 (pre-1956) Permanent Blue-Black is one of my two staple inks lately, and the two #24 bottles* I have are in fine shape -- no faded dyes or lack of lubrication, etc.

* The first digit is the color, #2 being Permanent Blue Black, and the second digit is the size of the bottle in ounces, e.g. 2 oz. or 4 oz.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Very true! I've had some duds. Luckily, not in this case: pre-RC-35 (pre-1956) Permanent Blue-Black is one of my two staple inks lately, and the two #24 bottles* I have are in fine shape -- no faded dyes or lack of lubrication, etc.

Are you referring to the old "Chem-O-Pure" Skrip Permanent Blue-Black?

I am hoping Tweel and TruthPil will post samples of their inks.

Since I don't actually have my Sheaffer ink yet, it wouldn't fit the OP to post my BB writing samples here.

Scans of all the BB inks currently in my possession have just been posted here (post #211).

Are you referring to the old "Chem-O-Pure" Skrip Permanent Blue-Black?

No, 1950's Skrip, advertising the new Snorkel, and prior to the introduction of RC-35.

I am hoping Tweel and TruthPil will post samples of their inks.

I'm mightily short of imaging machinery, unfortunately, but if I get a chance I will.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

No, 1950's Skrip, advertising the new Snorkel, and prior to the introduction of RC-35.

Thanks, I was just eyeing a bottle of the chemopure version on eBay. I'll keep y eyes out for the other instead.

Thanks for sharing your experience. One of the challenges when buying vintage inks are the many unknowns such as how old was the ink, much much was used by the previous owner before it sat in the desk drawer until we obtained it, as well as unknown effects due to unknown storage conditions.

Additionally, one never knows for sure whether the ink has been reconstituted. According to the guy who runs the mailing list for my local pen club, Sheaffer inks reconstitute fairly well when they've dried up. Vintage Parker ink, apparently not so much....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."