5Th Annual Northwest Pen Round-Up!

Michael McNeil

Hi all,

The 5th Annual Northwest Pen Round-Up! will be held on Saturday July
15th, 2017, at the Lucky Labrador Brewing Co. In Portland, Oregon,
located at 1945 N.W. Quimby St.,from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
It is the same weekend as the largest antique show in the Northwest,
the Christine Palmer Antique Show.
Last year the attendance by both buyers and sellers was very good. The
attendance by vendors was better than we had anticipated and we had to
make extra room for a couple of the sellers. There were pen people
here from B.C., Washington state, Oregon, California.
There were plenty of fountain pens, mechanical pencils, and desk top
items. There was plenty of commerce in writing instruments, plenty to
buy, sell, trade, admire, learn about, discuss and opportunities to meet
other collectors. There is no sales tax in Oregon and people can formally
and informally sell writing instruments.
I saw quite a number of extraordinary vintage pens for sale. Also a
number of modern pens that I had never seen before.
The event room has air conditioning, so that's cool, literally and figuratively.
A number of people have planned a Summer vacation around the pen show
and the antique show. The Pacific coast always has nice cooler weather
than Portland and seldom does it get above 75 degrees there. There are
always lots of things to do around Portland. Portland prides itself in being a
little off beat and it is always an interesting city to visit.
All pen collectors and users are invited, wherever you are. We do not
limit this event to just people from the Northwest or the West Coast.
Admission is free. We only charge a nominal fee for vendors who want
to set up. If you would like table space, please contact us early, as
space is very limited.
If you would like to reserve table space please contact Stuart
Hawkinson.
Link to antique show website: http://christinepalmer.net/
Photos from the 2016 Pen Round-Up!
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP12B_zpsmb7tabir.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP15B_zpsdeozcrp1.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP25B_zpspz1dody5.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP21B_zpsd8n7m0wh.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP23B_zpsbllc57n5.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP39B_zpsuwimjv6w.jpghttp://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/RoundUp2016MRCP39B_zpsuwimjv6w.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael McNeil

• NibHead64

• BlueJ

• BillH

Thank you Michael, I'll see if I can represent Idaho this summer.

I notice an antique show this weekend... do you have any idea if there are any pen dealers at this one?

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Bill, There are no pen dealers at the show, but there are some antique dealers who sometimes sell fountain pens.

Thank you Michael. We'll save the trip over until July then. It's not like I can't blow the pen budget up online...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I went to Year One of the Portland Pen Round Up and the best time ever. Missed Year Two due to car issues. Looking forward to Year Three. Casual setting, lots of friendly pen people, not to mention lots of pens. Plus you only have to walk a few steps for craft brew and good food.

See ya'll in Portland in July!

• 3 months later...

Howdy,

I'm looking forward to this show and was wondering if there will be any nib meisters or repair folks attending?

Thanks,

James

James

James, How many nibs do you have that need work and what needs to be done to them?

Will there be anyone who could put a new diaphragm in a Parker Vacumatic at this show? Mine is working fine but I bought it unrestored, and would like to get it worked on to ensure future reliability.

Also, do visitors with pens have to register them at the door? I've heard of shows in other hobbies where nothing could be taken out of the venue without a registration slip or sales receipt, to prove it wasn't stolen off one of the tables.

BlueJ, You might be able to hand off a pen for work, but I doubt any of us will be working on pens at the Round-Up. If you grab my e-mail address and e-mail me I can give you a referral.

You don't have to register. Some elect to wear a name tag. We try and keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks, Michael. If I'm going to send the Vac out, I may send it to Danny Fudge, who did some work for me last year. On the other hand, handing it off at the show would save me one way postage. But I may just wait until the pen actually has a problem.

BlueJ,

That's a dangerous proposition to wait until a Vac diaphragm fails. It can turn your shirt pocket a color that you don't want it to be. I can refer you to a top professional pen repairman.

I don't know if the guy who will be at the show is still doing repairs. He does great work, but gets busy with other things in the Summer.

Micheal,

I have a bent #2 Waterman....nothing extreme and more importantly, I have 2 Conklin caps that need the inner caps pulled and replacement clips (which I have) installed.

This will be my first time attending, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

James

James,

I doubt anyone will be doing pen repairs at the Round-Up. I will send you a PM.

Michael