Pilot E95S Vs Decimo

chefychef

Hi, I'm planning a surprise gift for the wife by end of April.

Which would you recommend, a Pilot E95s or a VP Decimo?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chefychef

• Bluey

• Arkamas

• fly_us

Top Posters In This Topic

The clip on the decimo is down near the point where you hold the pen.

Some people hate it, because they feel the clip gets in the way of their fingers, but others don't mind it at all.

If your wife is going to hate it, then she'll be much happier with the Elite 95s.

Scientia potentia est.

Another vote for the E95s. I think the decimo is much less of a gift type material than the E95s. The latter is quite beautiful and elegant.

I would say that unless there's good practical reasons(needs it for work, tends to write short notes more than long writing sessions etc) to get the decimo, the E95s is the better choice.

Thanks @rutherfordr and @Bluey for your input. I just read about Lamy Studio, which i think is also a good FP for ladies.

Would like to hear some pros and cons between the three: Lamy Studio, Pilot Decimo and Pilot E95s.

Edited by chefychef

E95s in burgondy/ivory is very much a nice lady's fountain pen. Brian Goulet has a video review on it. The Decimo could be nice but like the others said it could depend on her grip. From what I've heard the Capless models tend to be love it/hate it pens anyway. The Studio seems to be pretty nice, though I don't know much about it myself, but you can't go wrong with a Lamy. Is it her first fp or...?

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

This will be her 2nd FP...

Her first FP, a Pilot Metro 1.0 mm stub nib, is still in transit from gouletpens.

Decimo is the love/hate pen. If you love it, you love it. If not, you hate it. And i never recommend one unless the person tries it personally.

E95s is nice gift, especially for lady. Small, creative design, attractive look, perfect for short writing section or take note.

Lamy Studio is a good pen. But it just like other pens, nothing stand out.

The E95s is probably a good purse pen too. Personally, if I were getting a lady friend one of these I would probably go for the E95s myself. It's classy with a nice, 14k gold nib. I want to get one myself, actually.

A Decimo would be something for her to check out for herself later. If she has a tripod-style grip then it could even more likely work for her, but even then it still remains more of a personal-choice-only pen. I have a VP and love it, but that's me.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

Thanks @rutherfordr and @Bluey for your input. I just read about Lamy Studio, which i think is also a good FP for ladies.

Would like to hear some pros and cons between the three: Lamy Studio, Pilot Decimo and Pilot E95s.

Other than the ability to easily exchange nibs, the Lamy Studio doesn't have any real advantage over either the decimo or the E95. The Lamy Studio is uneventful to write with unless you get a stub.

In terms of aesthetic appeal for a lady, the E95s is the undisputed clear winner. If it had only nice looks there may be some contention, but it writes decently too, better than the Lamy and at least as good as the decimo (I prefer how my medium E95s writes compared to my fine decimo, but that's because I prefer broader Pilot nibs and partly indirectly because the decimo is still awkward to hold when writing even if the clip doesn't interfere with my grip). It's also purse friendly in size.

Edited by Bluey