New Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller

oldrifleman

It would be so nice to try in hand the pen before I will buy it - alas, there is very small chance I will be around Antwerp. I have a feeling that more suitable for me would be model Regular, but who knows?

I recommend the King Size over the Regular, unless you generally prefer smaller pens. Note the section on the regular tapers, thus the 'grip' experience is that of a relatively slim pen. That's one reason I really like the King Size.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldrifleman

• sketchstack

• frogbaby

• noddle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please forgive my stupid question:

Why does it needs a ink window when the entire pen is transparent?

As was said earlier, the ink window provides visibility of the remaining ink in the working ink reservoir. On the bulkfiller the piston Rod also serves to separate the working reservoir from the bulk storage area ( clear body).

So I have had this a couple of weeks and it has found it's way back into it's box. Great pen, writes perfectly, just not one that I will use very often. Looks like it will make an appearance in the classifieds this week.

That's the situation I would prefer to avoid. For a comparison, when I have ordered a pen from Franklin-Christoph (to Europe) - I was not sure if this will be comfortable for my hand, but I had 30 days to return the pen. Such thing helped me to click "order" for a pen for ~300 USD. As a result, I use a lovely Model 19 "1901" with M-CI nib as one of my favorite pens.

In a case when I am to spend around 700 (Regular) or 1000 (Kingsize) euros, I have to think very carefully.

So I have had this a couple of weeks and it has found it's way back into it's box. Great pen, writes perfectly, just not one that I will use very often. Looks like it will make an appearance in the classifieds this week.

Any particular reason why?

Not really, I think that I have become used to my Nakayas. They are lighter and thinner. I really like the Conid design and it is a flawless writer, but it is not what I am writing with now.

Not really, I think that I have become used to my Nakayas. They are lighter and thinner. I really like the Conid design and it is a flawless writer, but it is not what I am writing with now.

Interesting. It is a huge departure from a Nakaya (most pens are), but I've always found the sheer quality and convenience of the Conid placed it on an at least equal, if very different, level.

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Caiso some months ago. It was initially a little weird in my hand - a little larger and heavier than what I'm used to.

But I loved (still love) how it writes, so I persisted. Within a day of using it, the strangeness normalised, sort of disappeared, and now it is just a symphony of perfection whenever I use it. (Except for an annoying tendency for the nib to come a little loose and need to be pushed back into the section: this seems to happen only when the pen is low in ink, and I don't understand where it comes from; an air pressure issue?. Even with that, though, I really enjoy the pen, am very happy with it, and keep it inked and constantly in use).

At this price, I wouldn't buy it online. Actually, one of the main reasons I went to the London pen show last year was to try it out and (as it transpired) buy it directly and in person. I bought the flat-top version, which suits me very well.

So in fairness I decided that maybe I should try another nib, so I did not put it up for sale, but instead ordered a Titanium fine nib for it. Will have to see the difference when it arrives.

Let us know how the fine writes. I have been thinking of swapping the medium titanium in my Conid for a fine because of how wet the titanium nibs write.

Edited by OmegaMountain

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Let us know how the fine writes. I have been thinking of swapping the medium titanium in my Conid for a fine because of how wet the titanium nibs write.

I have a broad titanium as well as fine titanium. The fine is much drier than the broad in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the King Size over the Regular, unless you generally prefer smaller pens. Note the section on the regular tapers, thus the 'grip' experience is that of a relatively slim pen. That's one reason I really like the King Size.

i am glad to see this post ... in my canadian money a regular, landed after tax is close to $800 and i just do not want to pick it up out of the box and all-to-soon realize it too small

fascinating design but as usual you never know until you have it in hand

i am glad to see this post ... in my canadian money a regular, landed after tax is close to $800 and i just do not want to pick it up out of the box and all-to-soon realize it too small

fascinating design but as usual you never know until you have it in hand

I very much recommend you consider the Minimalistica. Check the size specs on the Conid website. The barrel and section are slightly larger than the Regular and I personally find it much more comfortable. Of course the Minimalistica lacks threads, etc. as it's a completely different design.

But strictly from the standpoint of a comfortable grip, I'm finding myself much more fond of the Minimalistica than the Regular. Personal opinion obviously but worth noting. (A nice side benefit of the Minimalistica is that it's cheaper as well.)

I very much recommend you consider the Minimalistica. Check the size specs on the Conid website. The barrel and section are slightly larger than the Regular and I personally find it much more comfortable. Of course the Minimalistica lacks threads, etc. as it's a completely different design.

But strictly from the standpoint of a comfortable grip, I'm finding myself much more fond of the Minimalistica than the Regular. Personal opinion obviously but worth noting. (A nice side benefit of the Minimalistica is that it's cheaper as well.)

i have thought about the minimalistica but am concerned about the grip and how easy it is to hold in position ... i prefer slightly concave grips since i find them a little easier to hold though i do have pens like the pilot 823 with straight sections and i love them ... perhaps i will look at the minimalistica

do you have calipers ? i wonder what the width of the section on the regular is at its narrowest point ? i have an edison pen with a tiny, cramped, very concave section that i actually like quite a bit

Edited by frogbaby

The Conid looks very nice and balanced. Just my personal opinion, but the clip on the cap needs improvement style-wise.

Thoughts anyone?

Personally, I think the clip is fine and in keeping with the pen's modern simplicity.

To ornament or reshape would detract from this.

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

i have thought about the minimalistica but am concerned about the grip and how easy it is to hold in position ... i prefer slightly concave grips since i find them a little easier to hold though i do have pens like the pilot 823 with straight sections and i love them ... perhaps i will look at the minimalistica

do you have calipers ? i wonder what the width of the section on the regular is at its narrowest point ? i have an edison pen with a tiny, cramped, very concave section that i actually like quite a bit

Sorry, I don't have calipers at my disposal (at least not anytime soon). I found a nice comparison / review that you may find helpful. At the very least there are images showing pretty clearly the difference in section size between the two models. Not to mention just a nice write up.

http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=4968

BTW: I forgot that the Regular also has different barrel choices. I have the consistent-diameter version, whereas there's a version that grows a little larger closer to the threads. If you look at the Conid site you'll see what I'm talking about. I wonder if my grip concerns would have been lessened if I had the Regular that has a slightly 'bulbous' barrel.