Sheaffer Prelude - Let's Try To Catch Them All

Markol

Hello everybody

Inspired by my colleague form the Polish Forum (FOP), known as smyr, I attempt to collect all the versions of Sheaffer Prelude. Why just Prelude, not other pen? First, this Sheaffer was made in several versions, so the whole collection would consist of more than thirty pens. Second, this model has been produced since 1997, so it's possible (although not so easy) to find it in a good condition, even those from first years of production. Third reason is, that Sheaffer Prelude is not a very expensive pen, so I probably won't go bankrupt. And last but not least, I like Preludes and consider them to be very good pens in their price range.

Unfortunaltely collecting relatively new pens has some disatvantages. Most of them vere treated as usable, not collectible pens and that's why only few of them from the second hand are in a really good condition and some individuals (for example the regency stripe pattern) are unique. There are also only few websites where one can foun a catalogue of this pens. But I do hope I will collect the whole family ;).

This are pens I have collected so far:

http://i.imgur.com/9nJ7zRb.jpg

From the left side: 9143, 377, 337, 383, 340, 349, 342, 9142, 368, 9170.

A newly bought Gun Metal 9144 and black&silver 9134 missed this photo, but they will participate in the next one.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Markol

• marcelo

• AL01

• graystranger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful! I have a Blue Shimmer. I assume it's your fourth from left to right.

Can you tell which ones are made in the US and which ones in China?

Beautiful! I have a Blue Shimmer. I assume it's your fourth from left to right.

Blue Shimmer NT has number 9135. The one presented above is in my opinion (and pictures from sheaffertarga.com) a Petrol NT (383). They are similar, but the Petrol is a bit darker and it has a bit of a green shade.

Can you tell which ones are made in the US and which ones in China?

The Signature line is produced in China. The Rose Gold (Cobalt Blue and White) are believed to be produced in Italy. I must check imprints on the rest, but I'm afraid the majority of them has been made after BiC had transfered the production to China.

The Preludes are made there too, for a couple of years now. I was curious about which of yours are made in China and which in the US.

Forgive me if I took the title in the wrong direction when I edited it. I figured you meant to "catch them all," not "cath" them, i.e. insert a catheter in them. ;)

I rather like the Preludes. Too bad you didn't post this a couple of months ago. We had a bunch of NOS Preludes, RB (easily converted) and fountain pens on consignment.

We were told by Sheaffer engineers that the guys who designed the Sonnet left Parker and went to Sheaffer, and designed the Prelude. I think that they got it right the second time.

One you won't be able to get is this one. Persimmon orange - was a test color for their collegiate line. This one was never sold. I got one, Richard Binder got one, and I think maybe 5 or 6 more made it out of the service center before it was closed down in March 2008. I think that the rest were scrapped.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/OrangePrelude.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

One you won't be able to get is this one. Persimmon orange - was a test color for their collegiate line. This one was never sold. I got one, Richard Binder got one, and I think maybe 5 or 6 more made it out of the service center before it was closed down in March 2008. I think that the rest were scrapped.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/OrangePrelude.jpg

That's so cool! :-)

Forgive me if I took the title in the wrong direction when I edited it. I figured you meant to "catch them all," not "cath" them, i.e. insert a catheter in them. ;)

Have I really done this? :blush: Sorry, but I have been creating my post after the whole weekend duty in the hospital. Maybe dr. Freud could explain it.

Marcelo. As far as I know Preludes made in USA have got an imprint "Sheaffer USA" on the cap ring, while those made in PRC have only "Sheaffer". Am I right?

According to this theory a Matte Green GT & Gold Fluted GT have an older style SheeafferS USA imprint, Chrome CT, Petrol NT and Gun Metal BT have Sheaffer USA while the rest has only Sheaffer. As I wrote above the rose gold series are made in Italy, so we can suspect, that a Black/Palladium GT and Chrome GT are from China.

P.S. Today next two pen have arrived, but I have to prepare them (soak & clean) before I could present any photos.

Ron, your Persimmon orange Prelude is wonderful. I wish it was a longer edition :(

Edited by Markol

Recently added

http://i.imgur.com/DlZbvcJ.jpg

From left: 356 - Ocean Blue Lacquer GT (USA), 348 - Matte Burgundy GT (USA) and 9144 - Gun Metal (PRC).

Markol, thanks for this great posting and photos. I "returned" to fountain pens in 1997 (after getting my 1965 Sheaffer Lifetime Pen cleaned out and working again). I bought the bronze Prelude then, $75 from a US retailer. Used it at work for several years, still using it. Lovely finish. This pen feels great in my hand when writing, the nib is nice, and I've never had any problem with the pen. Nicely wet writing with all kinds of inks.

Do you know the number of this bronze Prelude? I don't remember if the pen was identified as "bronze" when I bought it, but it is a lovely metallic bronze color. Was this model referred to as "bronze"?

Several years later my brother gave me a Sheaffer Prelude ballpoint pen in gun metal, and he did not know that I had the bronze fountain pen. The band says "Sheaffer's USA", probably 2000 or 2001 period.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I suspect you think about a copper version (gold or black finshed).

According to the reference list on sheaffertarga.com there was no typical bronze Prelude. The Bronze Gold Painted (9124) is rather gold than bronze. I saw once on e-bay one Prelude described as brown, but I think it was copper GT.

Edited by Markol

If there are only few examples of Persimmon orange in the world I suspect that getting one of them is the matter of money. But this is a question if one could pay one million dollars for Prelude ;).

P.S. Łukasz, miło Cię widzieć :)

Edited by Markol

And there are some new acquisitions

http://i.imgur.com/UiwRr8y.jpg

From the left: 339 Blue Barrel/Palladium Cap NT (Sheaffer'S USA), 9137 Silver Shimmer NT (PRC), 340 Brushed Chrome CT (Sheaffer'S USA), 346 Matte Black GT (PRC), 348 Matte Burgundy GT (USA), 356 Ocean Blue Lacquer GT (Sheaffer'S USA), 9144 Gun Metal (PRC) and 9134 Black Barrel Palladium Cap NT (PRC).

I suspect you think about a copper version (gold or black finshed).

According to the reference list on sheaffertarga.com there was no typical bronze Prelude. The Bronze Gold Painted (9124) is rather gold than bronze. I saw once on e-bay one Prelude described as brown, but I think it was copper GT.

Interesting, it may be a brown but it is definitely and a nice bronze metallic color. I'll try to get a good photo of it in bright light and post it here. I'll look for the shipping papers and see if I still have them.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I love the Prelude, especially the Fort Madison Preludes. My favourite of all are these, especially the Rainbow set.

post-120079-0-79413600-1488627652_thumb.jpg

I've not come across the White Rose Gold Trim 9142 in the UK, does anyone know if this was exclusive to region like the Signature Prelude's with 14K nibs.