Lamy Lx Nibs Vs Lamy Regular Nibs (Z52 Vs Z50)

Leogrando

Hello guys!

I want to change my nibs from F to EF. Than i went to appelboompen and saw that they have the new Lamy LX nibs. it cost twice the price of the current lamy z50 nib. So Does the LX nibs or the Z52 nibs have a different writing experience than the normal lamy nib? does the new coating effect the nib width? Is it worth it compare the normal nib?

Please share your story if you have use a Lamy LX nib.

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert_Boyd

• ParkerDuofold

• bogiesan

• jips123

There doesn't seem a big difference. Some people say they write smoother. I'm not sure about that. Maybe the quality control is better on these. But I think it's just the design.

Hello Leogrando,

I don't have an LX, but my guess is the LX nibs are hand-tuned... just like all Studio nibs are. And I can verify from personal experience that Studio's write a lot smoother than Al Stars, even though they theoretically use the same nib.

- Anthony

Hello Leogrando,

I don't have an LX, but my guess is the LX nibs are hand-tuned... just like all Studio nibs are. And I can verify from personal experience that Studio's write a lot smoother than Al Stars, even though they theoretically use the same nib.

- Anthony

Thanks, is there any way to get Studio nib seperately for Lamy Safari?

Hello guys!

I want to change my nibs from F to EF. Than i went to appelboompen and saw that they have the new Lamy LX nibs. it cost twice the price of the current lamy z50 nib. So Does the LX nibs or the Z52 nibs have a different writing experience than the normal lamy nib? does the new coating effect the nib width? Is it worth it compare the normal nib?

Please share your story if you have use a Lamy LX nib.

Thanks!

Hi Leo, I actually have one coming in the mail soon. I got it from Levenger during their President's Day sale event. When it comes I'll compare it to my Safari and report what I find.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

You might drop a note to or call the folks at Goulet Pens. They have the LX series in stock although they do not currently sell the LX nibs separately.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Thanks, is there any way to get Studio nib seperately for Lamy Safari?

Go to the Martini Auctions site: https://www.martiniauctions.com/item/id/Lamy_14_carat_gold_nib_for_Studio_Dialog_Safari_pens_size_M_29964.html

Regina Martini often sells spare nibs in various sizes and the site is reliable. I have always received excellent service.

/Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Leogrando,

- Anthony

I have an LX and the nib was terrible. I have replaced it. One really nice thing about the SS nibs is that they don't scratch, and if you smooth the nib you don't have a two tone tip. I love the black nibs, but I am starting to give up on them having purchased a few and being sad. I was trying to get a nice EF nib, am about to give that dream up tho and go back to a F for lamy.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

I have an LX and the nib was terrible. I have replaced it. One really nice thing about the SS nibs is that they don't scratch, and if you smooth the nib you don't have a two tone tip. I love the black nibs, but I am starting to give up on them having purchased a few and being sad. I was trying to get a nice EF nib, am about to give that dream up tho and go back to a F for lamy.

Oh Oh, I have to say my Pilot Metro nib writes better than any of my Lamy nibs. Al, Studio, D3, i have them all.

With 50 pens and 3.7L of ink i think i should have stopped buying stuff a while ago....... :blush: I better learn to write :lticaptd:

Thanks for this bit of info, R.B.,... I'll stay away from LX's... however, i do know the nibs on the Studios and 2K's are hand-tuned. (Probably the Dialogues and other upper echelon models, too). :)

- Anthony

I've had the same experience, my Al-Star nibs are smoother while my Lx is scratchy.

Thanks for this bit of info, R.B.,... I'll stay away from LX's... however, i do know the nibs on the Studios and 2K's are hand-tuned. (Probably the Dialogues and other upper echelon models, too). :)

- Anthony

Yes my Lamy 2k, Dialog and studio are all lovely, but becareful of the dark amber and the all metal studio (gold colour). Both these materials have stained with hand sweat.

So much criticism of this $59 pen in various forums on this site!

I am not a fan of bling and advertising gimmicks. Nor am I much of a Lamy fan-my preferences are vintage flex, Omas and Pelikan. I've been writing with fountain pens for 40 years.

However, I just purchased a Lamy LX in gunmetal gray and it is a wonderful pen! Far superior to my Studio.

I purchased mine from Goulet, and they included a converter at no extra cost. And of course it also comes with a great matching case. A more than reasonable package for $59.

Mine is a Broad nib and it is perfect-starts every time, smooth without being glassy-I like to feel nibs-flow is not too dry nor too wet. Weight is just right for posting. I don't find the appearance flashy at all, and I like both the appearance and feel of the tinted grip section. I can write and draw comfortably for hours and it never misses a beat.

The black nib is beautiful and not *at all* scratchy-quite the contrary- I recommend this pen!

Edited by wildblueroan

Yes my Lamy 2k, Dialog and studio are all lovely, but becareful of the dark amber and the all metal studio (gold colour). Both these materials have stained with hand sweat.

Hello RB,

Oh, oh... I hope you're not referring to the Palladium Studio, (that has a goldish hue to it),... it's on my short list. :unsure:

- Anthony

So much criticism of this $59 pen in various forums on this site!

I am not a fan of bling and advertising gimmicks. Nor am I much of a Lamy fan-my preferences are vintage flex, Omas and Pelikan. I've been writing with fountain pens for 40 years.

However, I just purchased a Lamy LX in gunmetal gray and it is a wonderful pen! Far superior to my Studio.

I purchased mine from Goulet, and they included a converter at no extra cost. And of course it also comes with a great matching case. A more than reasonable package for $59.

Mine is a Broad nib and it is perfect-starts every time, smooth without being glassy-I like to feel nibs-flow is not too dry nor too wet. Weight is just right for posting. I don't find the appearance flashy at all, and I like both the appearance and feel of the tinted grip section. I can write and draw comfortably for hours and it never misses a beat.

The black nib is beautiful and not *at all* scratchy-quite the contrary- I recommend this pen!

I got the F nib. I imagine that B nibs are often more forgiving, I know my M nibs are.

Hello RB,

Oh, oh... I hope you're not referring to the Palladium Studio, (that has a goldish hue to it),... it's on my short list. :unsure:

- Anthony

Yes i was lusting after that pen for a while, and i got it from Goulet pens and asked them to ink it and test it. The nib works very nicely, however i got finger prints from the tester.... I then added some of my own. So if you have sweaty hands i would go for something else, if you don't have that issue then its are really nice pen. But i love my 2k more, and don't have any issue with the nib.

Yes i was lusting after that pen for a while, and i got it from Goulet pens and asked them to ink it and test it. The nib works very nicely, however i got finger prints from the tester.... I then added some of my own. So if you have sweaty hands i would go for something else, if you don't have that issue then its are really nice pen. But i love my 2k more, and don't have any issue with the nib.

Ok, thanks for the tip; I generally don't have sweaty palms/hands, but I do have oily fingertips, so I fear the end result would be about the same. :(

Thanks again,

Anthony

I have the Lx with 2 fine and one medium nib (Z52). The fines are scratchy and the medium writes like the Z50 fine. I saw the tines on the fine nibs were of. Very difficult to align these. Weird.

So far I prefer the regular z50 nibs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received replacement Z52 nibs from La Couronne du Comte and they write excellent!

• 2 years later...

I have just bought an Axion, which has a curved shaped nib - similar to the Z50 [ a Z53], and it is much smoother than any Safari or Al-star I own