Please Help Picking Out Robert Oster Signature Inks!

Inkantadora

Hi!

I'm new here and it's my first time posting a subject so I hope it's all done well...

Anyhow, I live in France and love most things Australian including Robert Oster Signature Inks. Two of the inks I love are Kada Kada Dark and Light which are exclusively sold in Australia by Pensive Pens.

After crunching my numbers, I realized that it was financially ok if I ordered straight from Pensive Pens 8 inks by RO including the Kada Kada duo.

Initially, my plan was to order:

- Kada Kada L

- Kada Kada D

- Fire and Ice

- Deep Sea

- Green Diamond

- Astorquiza Rot

- Grun Schwartz

- NG's orange

However, I have decided to drop NG because I am not a big fan of Orange and am already getting Noodler's Apache Sunset (one orange should be PLENTY for me).

Also, I have my doubts between the various greens because I LOVE GREEN 💚 but can't get a straight comparison between Emerald, Spearmint, Peppermint and Green Diamond. How do they differ? Which shimmers more?

So my questions are:

1. What color would you chose between Emerald, Spearmint, Peppermint and Green Diamond?

2. Which would you recommend as an 8th color (considering I like all colors except orange and LOVE shimmer and shading)?

Much appreciate all recommendations you may have :)

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkantadora

• radellaf

• da vinci

• inkstainedruth

Have you done a google image search? That usually helps me narrow down my choices.

If I wanted a green green, I'd probably pick Emerald or Green Diamond. If I wanted sheen, it looks like Spearmint is overflowing with it.

Spearmint, Deep Sea, and Fire & Ice are all quite similar (based on online images), so if you like those colors, that may be a good thing, but if you're looking for variety, you might want something different since you already have the latter two in your list.

So far, I've tried Fire & Ice and Blue Denim (will be buying bottles of both). I also have Blue Night and School Blue, but have only dip-tested them so far. Strictly for my own tastes, of the colors I know of, I might add Chocolate, Blue Night, or Blue Black. I like the shading in Lime Green, and Moss looks interesting. Outside your list, those are probably the ones which appeal to me most - but I'd be getting samples first.

Check out Cyber6's thread

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Check out Cyber6's thread

I have checked out Cyber6's threadS on the subject. I have done google searches and read reviews by:

- Macchiato Man (http://macchiatoman.com/blog/)

- Ken Crooker: http://kencrooker.com/oster1/

- Pen Addict

- Gourmet Pens

and many more.

What I am looking for is really people's opinions, considering my criteria.

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

Have you done a google image search? That usually helps me narrow down my choices.

If I wanted a green green, I'd probably pick Emerald or Green Diamond. If I wanted sheen, it looks like Spearmint is overflowing with it.

Spearmint, Deep Sea, and Fire & Ice are all quite similar (based on online images), so if you like those colors, that may be a good thing, but if you're looking for variety, you might want something different since you already have the latter two in your list.

So far, I've tried Fire & Ice and Blue Denim (will be buying bottles of both). I also have Blue Night and School Blue, but have only dip-tested them so far. Strictly for my own tastes, of the colors I know of, I might add Chocolate, Blue Night, or Blue Black. I like the shading in Lime Green, and Moss looks interesting. Outside your list, those are probably the ones which appeal to me most - but I'd be getting samples first.

Thank you! What do you think of Blue Night? I've been writing with it since Tuesday and it does seems interesting. Still I'm not sure it's the most urgent bottle to get because I have quite a few blue-blacks already.

Also, is Blue denim really different from Fire and Ice? It looks similar on some pictures on my laptop and phone...

Oh! And I saw your thread on Orange Zest! Is it really orange? It looks red on my iphone.

Edited by Inkantadora

Thank you! What do you think of Blue Night? I've been writing with it since Tuesday and it does seems interesting. Still I'm not sure it's the most urgent bottle to get because I have quite a few blue-blacks already.

Also, is Blue denim really different from Fire and Ice? It looks similar on some pictures on my laptop and phone...

Oh! And I saw your thread on Orange Zest! Is it really orange? It looks red on my iphone.

I think if you have blue-blacks and it doesn't flip your switch (so to speak), skip it for now. Blue Denim is a lot like a darker Fire & Ice with a slight hint of green. He's got a lot of colors near this range - some more blue, some more green, some lighter, some darker. (But I'm madly in love with both of them - the shading and sheen are fabulous. Also, I just inked up School Blue - I won't be buying a bottle - the color really is that very ordinary blue from school days.)

I've never seen Orange Zest in person. To me, the photos look like a dark orange (that would be red if it were any darker - in fact, text from some nibs might look red). Quite different from the rest of your colors, so it might be good for variety (though since you don't like orange, I expect some other color might be more up your alley).

If you want a light green, Moss is very nice. It's a soft green, but is still dark enough to be legible. Can't be more help on most of the other colors, because I haven't had a chance to try a lot of the Robert Oster inks yet, other than Purple Rock (which I love).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

FWIW I have written a few sentences today using grun schwarz. I like very dark greens and so far, coming out wet from my MB Woolf medium nib, it's looking good.

FWIW I have written a few sentences today using grun schwarz. I like very dark greens and so far, coming out wet from my MB Woolf medium nib, it's looking good.

Grun Schwartz is one of the first in my wish list! Looks like my kind of ink. :)

If you want a light green, Moss is very nice. It's a soft green, but is still dark enough to be legible. Can't be more help on most of the other colors, because I haven't had a chance to try a lot of the Robert Oster inks yet, other than Purple Rock (which I love).

Moss green is also on my radar. It seems to be one of those inks that should shade rather than shimmer. How much depth does it have?

The only RO ink I have tried is Astorquiza Rot, and it was a great decision. I bought without sampling it. I have a thing for darker reds. Have it in a wet B stub and a Japanese B and it is so different in each. I posted a review /comparison last night.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Moss green is also on my radar. It seems to be one of those inks that should shade rather than shimmer. How much depth does it have?

It's got a fair amount of shading on relatively crummy absorbent paper (a Piccadilly sketchbook). It also dries fairly quickly on there (around 10 seconds) and seems to have some water resistance.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am also a fan of Purple Rock. Depending on paper, it can look gray, or purple, or green.

Wow that looks interesting? Do you have any pictures?

I think Robert Oster Aqua is my current favourite ink. I have it in my fairly wet stubbed-medium TWSBI 580 and I have had several comments from others on how beautiful they think the colour is. I tried Fire & Ice at a pen show too and I may get some one day, but I suspect I will still prefer Aqua. It would be interesting to see whether Aqua or Fire & Ice exhibits more red sheen. I also use Jade in my everyday Pilot kakuno, which has a Japanese medium which is quite fine. It shades a little bit. I also have Purple Rock (and do really like it along with the others who commented above), Midnight Sapphire (a blue-black on the blue side) and Red Orange (shading terracotta).

I think Robert Oster Aqua is my current favourite ink. I have it in my fairly wet stubbed-medium TWSBI 580 and I have had several comments from others on how beautiful they think the colour is. I tried Fire & Ice at a pen show too and I may get some one day, but I suspect I will still prefer Aqua. It would be interesting to see whether Aqua or Fire & Ice exhibits more red sheen. I also use Jade in my everyday Pilot kakuno, which has a Japanese medium which is quite fine. It shades a little bit. I also have Purple Rock (and do really like it along with the others who commented above), Midnight Sapphire (a blue-black on the blue side) and Red Orange (shading terracotta).

Thank you!

Aqua was on my first list but I was worried that it may look a lot like Fire and Ice. Despite the hype on Fire and Ice, you might be making me switch again back to Aqua... 🤔

A lot of people are recommending Purple Rock, and it is very tempting. Though it is very similar to the Light Kada Kada and the Kada Kada duo of inks is the reason why I am going through the hassle of importing the inks myself instead of buying to an Europe retailer. So I am keeping Purple Rock on the list but for a later purchase.

Jade is VERY tempting. The color looks unique. How are you finding it? Does it behave well? Same goes for Red Orange... it is oddly in my radar despite my usual lack of interest in oranges (same goes for Direct Sun).

Midnight Saphire is the only one not really in my list because I am accumulating a few blue blacks at the moment so unless it has some sort of magic sheen comparable to Diamine's Regency Blue, I'll pass on it for now.

For me, I suspect I would like all those Robert Oster blues and greens including Fire & Ice but unless I have a side-by-side set of samples for direct comparison, I probably couldn't choose which one I would like most. I find Jade to behave very well but I haven't tried it in many combinations of pens and paper yet. I use it on all sorts of paper but primarily with Muji loose leaf paper and their memo notebooks (I live near a Muji shop). It behaves very well on these, as well as Rhodia. chrisrap52 has a comprehensive ink review of Jade on his youtube channel and he has been using it in recent reviews of vintage flex pens. As for Red Orange, it also seems well behaved. It is not highly saturated but I find it very readable. Its shading is just lighter and darker saturations of the same colour, in contrast with NG's Special, which seems to shade between orange and yellow, like Noodler's Apache Sunset.

• 4 months later...

With some suggestions from Anderson pens, I was thinking of ordering samples of most of these. Anything obvious missing for a first go?

I'm not sure about fire & ice since I use fine or dry nibs, dunno if I need both the mustard and the coffee, and probably prefer Jazz to Rock. I do rather like blues, but wonder if skipping Spearmint or Astorquiza Rot is a mistake. Sun seems a bit of a boring red, too, and I have Habanero, Apache, and Cayenne so dunno if another red-orange from this brand is worth having.

http://i.imgur.com/S7GURkN.png

Caffe Crema

Marrone Mustard

Direct Sun

Orange Zest

Purple Jazz

Purple Rock

Tranquility

Aqua

Bondi Blue

Blue Water Ice

Fire & Ice