Montblanc Lucky Orange

lgsoltek

Jesus that solid orange page almost gave me a seizure.

I like that ink a lot more than I thought I would. the more I look at it... Yeah, I'm digging it. And I hate orange.

I like colors that have gradient shading, like apache sunset. Most "shading" inks just have two tones, one washed out, one saturated. I hate orange inks, and this is kinda doing it for me

Too pricey though for 30ml. I'd go buy a bottle right now if it was the same size/price as a standard MB bottle. I've been meaning to buy more MB inks, lavender purple is just lovely.

Haha! This is the same I also think of orange, but Apache sunset and also Kin-Mokusei and Sailor Apricot are different! They have a wonderful gradient shading which I love. The two-tone-shading can me nice but I prefer differentiation and varieties and ambiguities...

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• lgsoltek

• Chrissy

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't seen any nib crud on my M320.

Still no nib crud? Never found an orange ink that does not eventually result in nib crud.

Will be great if this is one.

Went to clean out my M320 today, a full 7 months after it was filled (preparing for the Pelikan Hub). There was a little nib crud, but I think that's excusable, given the time the ink sat in the pen. After cleaning, I filled it with Sailor Apricot. Will see how that does.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 4 months later...

I have tried a cartridge of this on my relatively new M pen ultra black (F), ink dries up in a few seconds. Hard start almost every time. Decided to test it with my Meisterstuck 90 years edition (F), 2 hrs later still nothing. I am disliking this ink very quickly which is unfortunately because it is a great color... when it actually writes.

This is the only orange I bought a bottle of. As someone with well over a dozen blue blacks and so many other colors, I’m not a guy who is opposed to getting multiple variations of a color I like. But this is the first orange ever to do it for me.

That being said, this is also the only ink that has ever crusted in a pen before. So it is not an ink I will leave in a pen. Only time will tell if this will happen to the bottle of ink as well.

This is the only orange I bought a bottle of. As someone with well over a dozen blue blacks and so many other colors, I’m not a guy who is opposed to getting multiple variations of a color I like. But this is the first orange ever to do it for me.

That being said, this is also the only ink that has ever crusted in a pen before. So it is not an ink I will leave in a pen. Only time will tell if this will happen to the bottle of ink as well.

Orange/yellow inks always seem to dry as a crust/powder on glass bottle threads. I assume it's a feature of the dye. Even if it crusts on a pen nib, it will quickly rehydrate as soon as ink starts flowing again. It's like the water quickly dries out from the dye and has to be wetted again. It's not a big problem. :)

Orange/yellow inks always seem to dry as a crust/powder on glass bottle threads. I assume it's a feature of the dye. Even if it crusts on a pen nib, it will quickly rehydrate as soon as ink starts flowing again. It's like the water quickly dries out from the dye and has to be wetted again. It's not a big problem. :)

Really? OK, thank you. Never owning a bottle of orange before I did not know that.

Although since you said yellow too, now you have me seriously concerned about my bottle of Sheaffer Kings Gold.

Really? OK, thank you. Never owning a bottle of orange before I did not know that.

Although since you said yellow too, now you have me seriously concerned about my bottle of Sheaffer Kings Gold.

What I do is to open them on a piece of card or film then just tip the powdery dye particles back into the bottle. I haven't noticed it on my King's Gold though. Not that I repeatedly open it. :) It will only be powdery around the bottle threads. Not inside the bottle. :) That may be a different dye.

The latest release from Montblanc. It's orange orange. Not too brown, not too red. Normal Montblanc flow: not dry at all, but not too wet either.

Splash

fpn_1487938231__lucky_orange_spl.jpg

Sample

fpn_1487938262__lucky_orange.jpeg

Full page of Lucky Orange

fpn_1487938236__lucky_orange_full_page.j

Compare

(KWZI Aztec Gold, Lucky Orange, Caran d'Ache Electric Orange)

fpn_1487938223__lucky_orange_com2.jpg

(KWZI Grey Plum, CdA Electric Orange, Lucky Orange, Blackstone Golden Wattle, Toucan Scarlet)

fpn_1487938219__lucky_orange_com.jpg

I've seen many ink reviews with this type of splash...may I ask what you use to do this?

And also the block of colour ....do you use a brush or a pen?

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society"......Mark Twain

I've seen many ink reviews with this type of splash...may I ask what you use to do this?

And also the block of colour ....do you use a brush or a pen?

The splash is done with a syringe. Draw a little bit of ink, push it out onto the paper, draw the ink on paper back up and splash it out again, until you get a satisfying shape.

The whole page of ink is done with a folded pen. (unaffiliated)

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious, in a normal mid-flow fine nibbed 'everyday, say MBlanc 146 EF or F, normal' writing pen, how is this ink even legible or viable at all?

Of course, dip pens and splashes are always dramatic and easily very nice :)

Edited by minddance

Both this orange and MB's golden yellow are both surprisingly legible although the orange is much better. I finally got nib crud when I put it in a Sheaffer. Its played nice in a load of other pens.

This looks VERY MUCH like MB’s (supposedly) Limited Release Saffron ink intended for owners of their Gandhi pen. I wonder if they re-released it under this name?

- OPG4711

Fun review, thank you!

So, I typically like orange inks, but for some reason I'm not drawn to have so many in my ink collection.

Sadly, I too have to report that was in my pen after the ink sat for a couple weeks. It is a problem unique to that ink. I now do not let that ink sit in the pen for longer than a week.

Sadly, I too have to report that was in my pen after the ink sat for a couple weeks. It is a problem unique to that ink. I now do not let that ink sit in the pen for longer than a week.

Starting to flush out the ink from my pen.

I just don't like the ink in this condition.

I wouldn’t worry too much except for the aesthetics. It’s a fairly common phenomenon for yellow and orange inks. The kind of dye used in these colours seems to dry out and cristallise very easily. It’s not harmful and can be wiped away and dissolve easily in water.

This looks VERY MUCH like MB’s (supposedly) Limited Release Saffron ink intended for owners of their Gandhi pen. I wonder if they re-released it under this name?

Lucky Orange isn't really like Gandhi Saffron which is much more of a bright yellow. It's definitely not a re-release of that ink. It might be more like Ink of Friendship, but it's not exactly the same as that one either. :)

I wouldn’t worry too much except for the aesthetics. It’s a fairly common phenomenon for yellow and orange inks. The kind of dye used in these colours seems to dry out and cristallise very easily. It’s not harmful and can be wiped away and dissolve easily in water.

Yes, I've had lot's of orange and yellow inks form powdery deposits on bottle threads and pen nibs.

These include Montblanc Lucky Orange, Montblanc Ink of Friendship, Sailor Jentle Apricot and Diamine Pumpkin