Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Nib Tuning For A Cheap Pilot 78G Bb?

sidpost

I bought a Pilot 78G with a BB (1.5mm flat stub) nib which writes well if I bear down on the nib, nothing extreme but heavy handed like with a ballpoint that doesn't write well. With no pressure it basically doesn't write at all.

I want to put document proof ink it for signatures but, I can't live with the pressure needed to get ink to flow. When I bear down it seems to write well at the speed I write so, I'm guessing the feed is adequate and the nib itself needs to be tweaked. The slit between the tines appears to be a bit too tight which is what I think is the problem. What do I do to increase ink flow to the tip without excessive writing pressure? Is this something a total novice can do without too much risk of screwing up the pen?

TIA,

Sid

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Witsius

• sidpost

• Inkantadora

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot 78Gs are generally dry writers, so no surprise there. Try shimming or 'flossing' it with either a brass shimming sheet or old film negative. Press down LIGHTLY with nib on paper, work shim sheet between tines, draw through gently.

My other pen is a Montblanc and...

My other blog is a tumblr.

I am literally in love with my 78G and yes they are very dry straight out of the box because the nibs are super pinched together. So cleaning it well and using a brass sheet between the twines does wonders.

Also, the C-20 converter is a bit annoying because you can't see the level of ink. So if the pen is suddenly dryer than it was a while ago when you started to write, I would pinch the converter to get some ink up into the feed.

Hope this help!

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

Check the tines to make sure they aren't clamped tightly together. My 78G wouldnt write at all out of the box. I had to open the tines, but after that it wrote fine.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168