Goldring Fp With Secret Compartment?

mazg

I was given a Goldring fountain pen along a couple of years ago with a bunch of other FPs and didn't think too much about it. It looked like a cheap tacky pen that I usually toss to the bottom of a drawer. Anyway, I decided to go through the drawer and clean the pen - it had ink in the cap and all over the section etc.

There are no markings on the pen itself. The cap is marked "Goldring" and "W. Germany". The nib is marked "Iridium Point". The pen appears to be a cartridge/converter style pen. It is quite weighty, feeling metal not plastic barrel and cap, but the section is plastic. The finial is a pointed style like a Parker.

I noticed a line around the end of the barrel like a piston filler and twisted it with no luck. However, something made me pull on it and voila the end of the pen shot out and inside is what can only be termed a "secret compartment". You will see from the photo there are two raised pieces and an embossed style logo that looks like a fishtail. I can't quite see if it is a fish, whale or a mermaid

So my questions are:

Why does the pen open?

What is the compartment for?

Anyone know anything about the Goldring brand? (besides being German)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3779/33021607536_7e63581137_o.jpg

33021607536_7e63581137_o.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mazg

• OakIris

• basterma

• mike.jane

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I hope it's not for a cyanide capsule. That would probably fit and also it would be not a bad place to hide it.

Sorry, I wrote about Anne Frank today, so there are Nazis roaming around my head right now.

(Edit: Obviously I'm not implying that a 'West Germany' pen would be from that era)

Very interesting, can't wait to hear what it's for.

Edit, edit: The fishtail makes it more intriguing too! Why is it there? Why was it so important that it needed to be embossed there?

Edited by mike.jane

That is very intriguing. I did a quick search and found several mentions of Goldring pens with stamps, a stamp was integrated in the body of the pen and I wonder if that is what that compartment was for -?? The stamp, if there ever was one, is obviously missing and I could only find ball point pens with this stamp mechanism, but that COULD be what it was for. Check it out here: Goldring Stamp Pen

I am hoping that someone can clear up this mystery!

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Damn, I hope it's not for a cyanide capsule. That would probably fit and also it would be not a bad place to hide it.

Sorry, I wrote about Anne Frank today, so there are Nazis roaming around my head right now.

(Edit: Obviously I'm not implying that a 'West Germany' pen would be from that era)

Very interesting, can't wait to hear what it's for.

Edit, edit: The fishtail makes it more intriguing too! Why is it there? Why was it so important that it needed to be embossed there?

You know that's exactly what I was thinking, only I was inspired by the recent news stories of Korean and Russian poisonings.....

That is very intriguing. I did a quick search and found several mentions of Goldring pens with stamps, a stamp was integrated in the body of the pen and I wonder if that is what that compartment was for -?? The stamp, if there ever was one, is obviously missing and I could only find ball point pens with this stamp mechanism, but that COULD be what it was for. Check it out here: Goldring Stamp Pen

I am hoping that someone can clear up this mystery!

Holly

Holly

I think you cracked it, I have been trying to loosen up the parts (there seems to be a spring that is stuck but it moves slightly) and I can lift it and think I see black rubber stamps. I'm wondering if the embossed image is what will stamp (maybe with text or something) - and I think it is a dolphin or whale. If I get it open I'll post something.

Holly

I think you cracked it, I have been trying to loosen up the parts (there seems to be a spring that is stuck but it moves slightly) and I can lift it and think I see black rubber stamps. I'm wondering if the embossed image is what will stamp (maybe with text or something) - and I think it is a dolphin or whale. If I get it open I'll post something.

It seems odd to integrate a stamp with a pen unless it is some sort of signature stamp, like you would use a wax seal, or maybe people put their addresses on it, or, corporate logo or who knows.

I hope you are successful in freeing up the stamp, if that is indeed what it is. Looking forward to hearing, and hopefully seeing photos of, what you actually find.

And one more important thing - it is a fountain pen after all: How does it write? (You have tried it out, haven't you?!? :P )

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Great find! :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.