Recommendations For Colored Gel Pens?

Lollypip

Hi all, I'm a newbie here and also a broke one. I use different colors for different classes when taking notes, so I need colored gel pens that ( a ) write well and ( b ) have cheapo refills. I love gel and prefer 0.5mm and below (definitely not 1.0mm), so does anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately, I'll need at least 6 colors excluding red and black, and it seems like many of the options only come in 0.7mm. Am I asking for the impossible?

Edited by Lollypip

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• qvxb

• sidpost

Hi, These are said by many to be great smooth writers,

http://inkjoy.papermate.com/en-US/GEL

I'm in UK and they are not on sale here yet, so I can't comment, but there are many videos online to watch.

Or if you want to buy a set, maybe these;

https://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Sarasa-Push-Clip-Gel-Pen-0.5-mm-10-Color-Set/pd/6384

Edited by Mike 59

Pilot G2 pens come in .38mm (ultrafine) and .5mm (extra fine). Ordering from the US Pilot website, you have 15 color choices Free shipping after $4.99 (which is 2 refill packs) I've seen the G2's in Target, Walgreens, CVS, Staples, etc if you want to try them out first (although I'm not sure what size tip they have in the stores) and then just order the refills online. Bigger color selection online too.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 8packs variety color of the G2 in stores too, and the website has a 12 color pack.

Edited by ThreadorYarn

I really like the Pentel Energel pen I got. Pilot G2 is another good option.

Both refills cost ~$1 if you shop around a little bit.

On a quest for better pencils and pens in rural East Texas. :)

I like the Energel pens. They come in quite a few colors, and they don't cost a lot.

They were selling them 2 for 2 bucks at Staples at the registers. It's worth grabbing a couple to try out.

The Ink Joy Gel pens are pretty good too.

Pilot G2 pens come in .38mm (ultrafine) and .5mm (extra fine). Ordering from the US Pilot website, you have 15 color choices Free shipping after $4.99 (which is 2 refill packs) I've seen the G2's in Target, Walgreens, CVS, Staples, etc if you want to try them out first (although I'm not sure what size tip they have in the stores) and then just order the refills online. Bigger color selection online too.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 8packs variety color of the G2 in stores too, and the website has a 12 color pack.

According to Pilot's website, ultra fine (0.38 mm) refills are available with only black, red, green, and blue ink only and extra fine (0.5 mm) refills are available with only black, red, and blue ink. The fine (0.7 mm) refills come in 15 colors.

If you want a gel clickie with a .7 tip, there are lots of colors available.

If you want a gel clickie with a .5 tip, your colors will be limited to black, blue, red, and maybe green.

If you are willing to use a capped gel pen, then you can get lots of colors and a .5 (or smaller) tip. However, I don't think capped gel pens are typically refillable.

If you're willing to use capped felt or porous tipped pens (like a Sharpie pen or Staedtler triplus fineliner), then there are lots of colors available in .5 or less tip sizes. Again, these are not typically refillable.

What are you willing to use?

--flatline

Edited by flatline

Artists and other gel aficionados swear by the Sakura Rolly Gel. It comes in a rainbow of colours, too.

Otherwise you might check out Ohto: they invented the gel pens, and have points that lay down a very thin line

Although I don't really like them myself, I think it's worth mentioning the Pilot Frixion here.

They are erasable, but their blacks are just not black enough for me...

if you want lots of colour i recommend the pentel energel 1.0mm which lays down a juicy line

i have the purple (from jetpens) and i really do like the nice thick line of colour

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy colored gel pens! For now, I have uni Style Fit in hand and they range from .5 mm to .38 mm and .28 mm tip! They have so many colors that even I had hard times picking! It's pretty cheap and you can pick the pen body yourself! You can turn them into multipens but their single body is also cute. Read the guide here => https://www.jetpens.com/blog/uni-style-fit-a-comprehensive-guide/pt/889

Though the Pilot G2 is my most beloved gel pen, the chance of getting a scratchy pen increases as the point size decreases. (I've experienced about a 50% "good" pen vs "scratchy" pen hit rate with G2s smaller than 0.7). So I can't recommend them in your case.

Consider the Uni-ball Signo line of pens. They come in all shapes/sizes/colors so you'll want to have a look here: https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-ball-Signo-Gel-Pens/ct/2576

the economical penster - celebrating inexpensive pens!

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite are the MUJI gel pens. The ones with that click not the ones with lids. SO smooth and love their colour range!

The Zebra Sarasas are nice, but I prefer using them in 0.7 over 0.5 they have this sort of softness when they touch the paper. The tips don't feel scratchy at all. I prefer those over the Pilot Juice pens which also come in 0.5 even though they're a bit more expensive. Gelly Rolls only come in widths of 0.6 or larger and they tend to be extremely juicy and slow drying so I would stay away from them if you want to use them for the sole purpose of note taking. The best lines of gel or rollerball pens that I highly recommend to you are Uni-ball Signos UM-151. Those are very high quality gel pens, and they're waterproof too once they dry. The Signos come in 0.28, 0.38 and 0.5mm. They also make them retractable. I think you would take a lot from this guide https://www.jetpens.com/blog/uni-ball-signo-a-comprehensive-guide/pt/639

The other gel pen that I find superb to write and draw with is the Pilot Juice Up. These come in 0.3 and 0.4. I bought a couple 0.4 Juice Ups and my sister tried them out. She liked them so much that she bought the entire set of them. We discovered the metallics are gorgeous but the pastel ones feel very stiff and scratchy so stick with the standards and metallics. Here's the Jetpens link to the standard colors https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Juice-Up-Gel-Pen-0.4-mm-10-Color-Set/pd/18185 I think on Amazon you can probably find the sets for a lot cheaper.

Also, here's a guide to fine tip gel pens https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-to-fine-tip-gel-pens/pt/876