Today I’m reviewing Diamine Teal

I’ve gone back to this colour to try it out, although I had a small sample in a tube for quite a long time but never used it. I decided to go back to it now as my interest in this type of colour was piqued when I reviewed Diamine Eau de Nil.

For my money this is not a typical teal. Like many inky experimenters, I have made my own teal inks by mixing blue and green ink, and that is the colour I’ve come to expect as teal. Diamine Teal, though certainly a mixture of blue and green dyes on it’s chroma test, leans slightly more blue than I expected. I actually liked it more because of this. It’s a deep ocean blue-green colour.

It felt reasonably dry by comparison to some other inks I’ve used recently, and it’s drying time on all papers was super quick.

Apart from it’s dryness, I found it well behaved in my pens, on the papers I tested it with. It also cleaned out easily and washed off of my hands easily. So it’s not a heavy stainer.

It’s an easy going ink, that is reasonably saturated, and exhibits some shading on many papers. It also produced some traces of sheen. I liked it best in my Waterman Preface M nib as I felt that showed up the shading better than the Lamy 1.1mm nib.

• This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, but it has some water resistance.
  • Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a quite shiny surface at 100gsm, and I used several different nibs, this ink took 3-5 secs secs to dry. That’s very quick on this paper.
  • No smear after dry.
  • It exhibited good flow and I found it reasonably smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles.
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price.

fpn_1487431171__diamine_teal.jpegfpn_1487431207__diamine_teal_2.jpegfpn_1487431234__diamine_teal_1.jpeg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Bhavna

• Gudi

• MABuckeye

Thanks for another nice review.

I was thinking about buying this ink after I saw some Japanese calligraphy written with it in Instagram, but it was a very different color than your scans show. It was greener and lighter, probably closer to a turquoise too (which explains why I liked it right away). Even the description doesn't match, eliminating a possible color correction difference between monitors. I guess try a sample before committin to a full bottle.

Great review Chrissy, thank you! I think this is one of the Diamines I don't have! How close is it to D. Schubert?

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Thanks for another nice review.

I was thinking about buying this ink after I saw some Japanese calligraphy written with it in Instagram, but it was a very different color than your scans show. It was greener and lighter, probably closer to a turquoise too (which explains why I liked it right away). Even the description doesn't match, eliminating a possible color correction difference between monitors. I guess try a sample before committin to a full bottle.

You're welcome. :) I've checked my scans against what I wrote and the colour match looks accurate. Teal isn't lighter nor more turquoise in the pens I used. As it's a dryer ink it might look lighter with some dryer feeds, but it's never going to be turquoise.

Great review Chrissy, thank you! I think this is one of the Diamines I don't have! How close is it to D. Schubert?

You're welcome. :) It's quite close to Schubert. Schubert was the first similar ink I thought of when I wrote with it. :)

Another great review. Thanks Chrissy.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

• 3 months later...

I found this color to be greener than blue, not what I expected but it has a place for everyone

I agree on the dryness, and the very quick drying

Thanks @Chrissy

I found this color to be greener than blue, not what I expected but it has a place for everyone

I agree on the dryness, and the very quick drying

Thanks @Chrissy

You're welcome. :)

Thank you for another great review. Thankfully with Edelstein Aquamarine, Sailor Yama dori already in my collection and Ku-jaku on it's way I can't be tempted by another Teal. My wife and bank manager will be relieved :D

Thank you for another great review. Thankfully with Edelstein Aquamarine, Sailor Yama dori already in my collection and Ku-jaku on it's way I can't be tempted by another Teal. My wife and bank manager will be relieved :D

You're welcome. :) I know that feeling...... :unsure:

Not a color for me. But thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very nice review!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 3 years later...

I have a bottle but haven’t used it much as it is greener than I like.  Having read this, if it exhibits some water resistance that would be a big plus.  Going to ink a pen and test it soon - thanks!