Alphaleo

I think the Safari as a durable pen with easy changeable nibs is ideal for that purpose. I'm no great artist but I always used my Safari for drawings. I recently bought a new Umbra for the Lihit cover notebook A5 folder I intend to take with me on journeys. Nothing fancy, humble, low profile.

Yet it's always a subjective view on things. If you don't like the grip section of the Safari you won't be happy with it and should choose something else.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alphaleo

• BillH

• AG_ORD

• sidthecat

I guess I want to do both too hahaha, as for what else I want on the pen, I want something that looks modern or retro look but not really too flashy. the problem is that some of those seem to be a bit expensive. I will take your advice and see what happens, thanks a lot!

"do both"

I recognize that :D Did I mention "bought a zillion pens"? And ink? And mixing ink?

Keep in mind, FPN is kind of a reverse AA meeting... best and biggest bunch of enablers and co-dependants I've ever been around.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Most of your questions have been covered and answered. In my experience, the following three are the most important when thinking about using fountain pens for drawing,

- Paper: Not all paper for sketching is ideal for drawing with fountain pens. Some of the best paper I have used for charcoal are horrendous for any kind of fountain pens. Cloth based course grained paper will prove to be a nightmare for any form of nibbed pens (fountain, micro-tip or otherwise). it is best to choose smooth paper for better results (exceptions exist with certain types of nibs).

- Nibs and feeds: Nib size, as many have pointed out is very important as they can ruin your experience of drawing and shift the focus toward how to avoid catching paper or reducing line, size, etc. I have used different sizes of nibs (Needlepoint, F, M, B, BB) for drawing without any problems and have used a dip pen for finer lines and line variation. In case you need line variation, please think about this option or if the budget allows for it, please do go ahead with vintage flex (trickier to get the right pen and for the budget of USD 100 you have stated).

- Ink: I've used a variety of inks ranging from Iron Gall to more paint based (with dip pens) without a problem. This largely is dependent on the choice of paper rather than anything else. As long as you can adjust the flow for the ink, you can't go wrong.

I generally post a few ink sketches at https://www.instagram.com/flumm0x3d/ if you want to see some results with different pens.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately that one is not available where I live. thanks anyway!

Check out Wonder Pens in Toronto. Their website is ...

http://www.wonderpens.ca

I have ordered online from them and been quite happy with their prices and service. They are pen enthusiasts and not just business people. You can email questions and they do reply.

Regards

the Cat did it

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Whatever you get, I'd recommend supplementing it with a Pilot Penmanship EF. They're only about six bucks on Amazon and they're terrific for detail work and crosshatching.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pilot-Fountain-Extra-Clear-PFP50RNCEF/dp/B006CQUI9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490191422&sr=8-1&keywords=pilot%2Bpenmanship&th=1

If you don't like the lightweight stylus-style body you can swap the nib into a Metropolitan or Prera. I was planning to do this but found I quite like the Penmanship as is.

Edited by BradGad

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

I've used a variety of FPs for drawing. The ones I like best, so far, have been a Rotting Art Pen with an EF nib (although I hate not being able to post the cap :angry:) and an older (1990s) Pelikan M400 with a very wet and slightly springy (if not actually flexing) F nib. It's so wet, though, that my original plan for using Iroshihzuku Yama-guri in it got scrapped in favor of Noodler's Walnut. :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm not that big of a fan of the Lamy Safari or the Pilot Metropolitan either when it comes to drawing. The Safari has a nice toothiness to it, but their EF is just darn right scratchy. I find the Metropolitan a little too heavy to draw with. I recently got a Sailor Pro Gear Slim. I find that it's comfortable for long writing and drawing sessions. The nibs on Sailor pens are wonderful. I think it's becoming my go-to all the time EDC. On Ebay you can get one for less than 100USD. Or, if that's too expensive for you there's the Sailor Lecoule. They have them on Jetpens in the Power Stone colors. Those are really nice too for drawing.