Here's How I Organize My Nibs

JonB55198

Hello FPN, I wanted to share with you how I organize my nibs. Here's a jewelry display case with a clear window top. It fits three tiers of trays that have 50 slots each. I then have a database to track precisely what's in each of the slots.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/jonb55198/20170216_130130_zpsavjpncvl.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/jonb55198/20170216_125911_zpska442cty.jpg

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• Astronymus

• zaddick

• sketchstack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of mine are stored in pens.

Sorry, could not resist the smart alec response. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Most of mine are stored in pens.

HAHA. :-) Well, same here. But, I like to have different types on hand of #5 and #6 to swap into some of my other pens once in a while. I have been starting to getting into modifying, smoothing, tuning and grinding nibs. So, I bought some cheap #5 and #6 nibs to practice on to learn some skills before I use some better quality nibs. :-)

Also... Dip Nibs:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/jonb55198/20170216_125957_zpsoahgu3em.jpg

Edited by JonB55198

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

That's pretty sweet! I like how deep each cell is. Gives confidence that nothing will fall out somehow.

Sometimes a little bit too deep for my big hands. :lol: I build a magnet on a stick (the red thing in the upper right slot) to get the nibs out if my fingers can't get a grip. :rolleyes:

At the bottom of each slot I put a piece of cellular rubber. The labels are folded in half. One half is beneath the rubber, the other stands out and leans against the back of the slot. So they are fixed but can be changed easily.

The silica gel is just a silly idea in hope to keep the box quite dry and prevent rust. -_-

Great thread. I had just asked about how people store nibs in another thread...

Thanks. PM me if you'd like the details on where I got my case. It's pretty inexpensive actually compared to other solutions on the market. I'd also share by database template with you if you'd like do you can track your nibs.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a random lot of pen parts on eBay so your method looks very promising. It also strikes me that my late husband's pill organizer might still be around the house (he took an awful lot of pills). I'll see how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a random lot of pen parts on eBay so your method looks very promising. It also strikes me that my late husband's pill organizer might still be around the house (he took an awful lot of pills). I'll see how that goes.

Let me know how it works out for you.

PM me if you'd like the details on where I got my case. It's pretty inexpensive actually compared to other solutions on the market.

That's a nice case. Is there a reason not to post it here? Do they have other types, etc.? Others might like to look into this.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

I just wasn't sure if we should post commercial stuff. But I'll get the link up sometime later today. :-)

As promised, tho a little late, here is the link to the case that I bought. The seller let's you choose the insert type. The insert I chose to hold nibs was the 50 slot version. I also got some 12 slot ones to hold things like sections, converters, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141582871577?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=440722885259&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What is the nib directly to the left of your 5-tined music nib? It looks quite interesting.

It's a Rubinato. Got mine at paperinkarts.com.