richofthetower

Thank you very much for your answer to my question. I understand fully the USPS current concerns & actions regarding the "bottom line;" each day when I watch a lone Postal Clerk working @ the one window open when the other is not occupied. It is a business & I also am suspicious that someone may have also decided to reduce the cost of issuance, by simply omitting the information in addition to the reasons you mention. Times change & those require measures to adjust & I realise those are a part of the business world. it is hardly unique to the USPS, it is just an unfortunate result.

I just found another commemorative stamp I have enjoyed using, no longer available & in fact one of the stamps listed for "official destruction" in late 2016, available for sale on Ebay & was happy to purchase them. I realise I may be the only person who notices the postage I use; it is still a pleasure for me to consider different stamps for use on envelope.

I grew up with my Parent's use of stamps in coil, but also a leather box, with unused other stamps (perhaps older stamps & some used for additional postage requirements) & was always fascinated by them. It is such a simple act, yet if one spends the time to choose inks & paper, also a logical consideration. I presume the sale of same is also "good for the bottom line," of the USPS or they wouldn't issue them. I hope it will continue to be so.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richofthetower

• motsamicaux

• Barkingpig

• ScottEnglish

Two tips for writers who would like to match their stamps to their letters (or their ink, or their recipients, or whatever else) - First, you can buy stamps online from the USPS at www.usps.com. There is a small service charge but the selection is much better than you'd get from most post offices. Second, the vast majority of US stamps from the last 80 years (!) have not appreciated in value and can in fact be purchased in quantity for use on mail at a DISCOUNT below face value on eBay or from many stamp dealers. This works best if you use a fair amount of postage (for example, it's fairly easy to buy $100 face value in mint US stamps for about $80 or so) and have the time and inclination to sort things out and make combinations that add up the current letter rate, and of course if you're willing to lick older stamps....

Or, if you can find a local stamp show, many dealers will have a box or bin of stamps where you can pick through and buy what you want at face value, so you can pick and choose what you get.

Just another way to make writing fun (or to add another bit of a hobby..)

I'm not sure if there's a US stamp that clearly shows a fountain pen, but a 22-cent stamp from 1986 honoring certified public accountants has a dip pen nib as a central design element.

Two tips for writers who would like to match their stamps to their letters (or their ink, or their recipients, or whatever else) - First, you can buy stamps online from the USPS at www.usps.com. There is a small service charge but the selection is much better than you'd get from most post offices. Second, the vast majority of US stamps from the last 80 years (!) have not appreciated in value and can in fact be purchased in quantity for use on mail at a DISCOUNT below face value on eBay or from many stamp dealers. This works best if you use a fair amount of postage (for example, it's fairly easy to buy $100 face value in mint US stamps for about $80 or so) and have the time and inclination to sort things out and make combinations that add up the current letter rate, and of course if you're willing to lick older stamps....

Or, if you can find a local stamp show, many dealers will have a box or bin of stamps where you can pick through and buy what you want at face value, so you can pick and choose what you get.

Just another way to make writing fun (or to add another bit of a hobby..)

I'm not sure if there's a US stamp that clearly shows a fountain pen, but a 22-cent stamp from 1986 honoring certified public accountants has a dip pen nib as a central design element.

Hi mliebson,

Thank you for that great info. I had no idea one could acquire old stamps at face value by any means!

Rich

You might also check out this topic ('Sources of unused US postage...') just a few down the list here if you'd like more sources of 'vintage' postage. I buy from Murph and am a very satisfied customer. I buy my 'current postage via the USPS online. You may be able to find the Scotts catalogs of postage stamps at your local library in the reference section where your can look at (almost) all the stamps printed in the world - fascinating.

I received my "Classics Forever" stamps today & promptly put them next to the "World Stamp Show-NY 2016" stamps I had previously purchased. They were an equally attractive issue "reminiscent of classic engraved 19th-century stamps & banknotes," as noted, by USPS on the reverse of the page of stamps. I bought them for their design but also for their nice colors, a "great" red & blue. I have been happy to have them when you are sending a note or letter of gravitas. I have enjoyed many of the special edition stamps, but Jimmy Hendrix or Janis Joplin is NOT "right" for every occasion!

These "Classics" are suitable for all usage & I thank "richofthetower" for his review & introduction to me.

Just ordered some of these stamps. I'm old enough to remember 2¢ stamps for regular letters. I don't miss having to lick or wet stamps, now that we have postage meters, but I really appreciate the engraving and printing techniques that are recalled by these stamps. I plan to use them for personal letters, invitations, and sympathy cards (I'm also old enough to need these more than I'd like).

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

You might also check out this topic ('Sources of unused US postage...') just a few down the list here if you'd like more sources of 'vintage' postage. I buy from Murph and am a very satisfied customer. I buy my 'current postage via the USPS online. You may be able to find the Scotts catalogs of postage stamps at your local library in the reference section where your can look at (almost) all the stamps printed in the world - fascinating.

Stonezebra,

Thank you for the info! I think I'll email Murph when I use up all my current stamps! As it happens, I'll be going to the library tomorrow. I'll try to find Scott's...

Rich

I received my "Classics Forever" stamps today & promptly put them next to the "World Stamp Show-NY 2016" stamps I had previously purchased. They were an equally attractive issue "reminiscent of classic engraved 19th-century stamps & banknotes," as noted, by USPS on the reverse of the page of stamps. I bought them for their design but also for their nice colors, a "great" red & blue. I have been happy to have them when you are sending a note or letter of gravitas. I have enjoyed many of the special edition stamps, but Jimmy Hendrix or Janis Joplin is NOT "right" for every occasion!

These "Classics" are suitable for all usage & I thank "richofthetower" for his review & introduction to me.

You're right! I think matching stamps to the kind of letter is important.

You're very welcome for the review :-)

Rich

Just ordered some of these stamps. I'm old enough to remember 2¢ stamps for regular letters. I don't miss having to lick or wet stamps, now that we have postage meters, but I really appreciate the engraving and printing techniques that are recalled by these stamps. I plan to use them for personal letters, invitations, and sympathy cards (I'm also old enough to need these more than I'd like).

I'm happy to help you discover appropriate stamps for the occasions. But, here's hoping that you don't have to send any sympathy cards soon!

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered some of the "Classics Forever" stamps from the USPS web site. While I was there, I came across some other neat stamps that I haven't seen before, so I added them to my shopping cart. Sure is easy to spend money on stamps....

Thanks for the tip, Rich!

I just ordered some of the "Classics Forever" stamps from the USPS web site. While I was there, I came across some other neat stamps that I haven't seen before, so I added them to my shopping cart. Sure is easy to spend money on stamps....

Thanks for the tip, Rich!

Hi motsamicaux,

No problem! Yeah, who knew you could order stamps that weren't at the Post Office! Yup, all too easy to order a lot stamps!

Rich

Today, I received the stamps I ordered. Wow!

I ordered four different sheets. They arrived in a 13" by 11" fairly heavy cardboard Priority Mail envelope marked "DO NOT BEND." Guess what? The envelope wasn't bent. Inside, each sheet of stamps was individually sealed in plastic along with a cardboard backer. Impressive packaging!

BTW: Neat stamps....

Today, I received the stamps I ordered. Wow!

I ordered four different sheets. They arrived in a 13" by 11" fairly heavy cardboard Priority Mail envelope marked "DO NOT BEND." Guess what? The envelope wasn't bent. Inside, each sheet of stamps was individually sealed in plastic along with a cardboard backer. Impressive packaging!

BTW: Neat stamps....

Yeah, they really do package them well! I guess since they know collectors and plain old stamp admirers like me would appreciate that.

Thanks for bringing all that up, I totally forgot that in my review! 😄

I ordered some as well--a really quality product.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I ordered some as well--a really quality product.

Hi jmccarty3,

As I did more research on the stamp, I found that the company which prints it (along with the similarly-engraved World Stamp Show, 2016 NYC stamps) is The Banknote Corporation of America. As the name implies, they print more than just stamps, but also currency for the US and other countries featuring lots of interesting security features. No wonder the Classics stamps are of such high quality!

Rich

As an aside, I did not intend to influence so many people to purchase these stamps! (although I'm happy about that!) Perhaps the USPS should give me a commission! :lol:

Edited by richofthetower

As an aside, I did not intend to influence so many people to purchase these stamps! (although I'm happy about that!) Perhaps the USPS should give me a commission! :lol:

I needed stamps anyway, especially fun and interesting ones for postcards and letters. The more insipid stamps can go on bills. Unfortunately, I need a lot of stamps for those as well....

I needed stamps anyway, especially fun and interesting ones for postcards and letters. The more insipid stamps can go on bills. Unfortunately, I need a lot of stamps for those as well....

I do the same thing. There is/was an interesting series of stamps offered by the USPS (different kinds of ferns) which I used for personal correspondence. But, I've grown tired of them, and now they go on other things. Can't seem to find them on the site anymore, though.

I've just realized... your username translates to "friendly words"? very cool.

I mailed some postcards at the P.O. today and, while chatting about stamps with the window clerk, found out that one of the workers there also orders stamps on-line. Seems the selection is better than what's available at the... brick-and-mortar P.O.