Pilot 78G+ = The New 78G?

truthpil

I swapped a 78G F nib into my Metropolitan because the Metro's F nib was broader. Then, when the Penmanships came along with their EF nibs I immediately transplanted one of their nibs into the Metro, for the finest EF nib I've ever seen. Fine nib nirvana! Finer than the Platinum Preppy 0.2 and quite a bit finer than the Falcon SEF. Just from looking at your images of the 78G+ it looks like their EF nibs may be a bit broad, but I hope those make it over here, or ideally the Japanese version (if they have one).

esc

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Inkantadora

• Mongoosey

• radellaf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like these pens, but the EF would be too fine for me.

My husband who has the most minuscule handwriting thought the same. Funny thing is that I am the queen of 1.4 - 1.5 stubs... and simply love this EF for when I want to put a note in the margin or simply want to put a detail. I actually ran out of ink rather fast and that was a big surprise !

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

I swapped a 78G F nib into my Metropolitan because the Metro's F nib was broader. Then, when the Penmanships came along with their EF nibs I immediately transplanted one of their nibs into the Metro, for the finest EF nib I've ever seen. Fine nib nirvana! Finer than the Platinum Preppy 0.2 and quite a bit finer than the Falcon SEF. Just from looking at your images of the 78G+ it looks like their EF nibs may be a bit broad, but I hope those make it over here, or ideally the Japanese version (if they have one).

esc

Oh wow! You do seem like an EF connaisseur. The EF on the 78G+ is a nice experience but it is not quite a needlepoint. For hairlines, I would still continue to use my vintage Wahl Pen n°2 nib without flexing or my dip pens.

<font face= "Cursive"; font color="#8B00FF" ; font size= 3; font face="Arial"> In Instagram, I am also Inkantadora .</font><font face= "Cursive"; font color="#CC06FF" ; font size=3; font face="Arial"> I live and dream in saturated and sheening color.</font>

I think I might open a new thread to share this... what do you all think?

Thanks for the review! Yes, you might want to post the review in the pen reviews section of the forum.

Does the EF nib feel any different from the EF on a Pilot Penmanship?

Love the bright blue!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I have not had the pleasure to try the Penmaship. Wish I had though. I bought the EF Pilot 78G+ for my husband because it looks like the kind of pen he would like: black, slick yet unpretentious. He does not like attention trapping pens and this seemed like his thing. He has in fact used it daily since I switched the nib to F.

Will post a more complete review on the main page. Since there is the big switch to the CON-40 converter I think it is also worth talking about it.

Edited by Inkantadora

If you like the Pilot 78G+ EF, then you're sure to like the Penmanship. I have 2 and the nibs have some feedback, but I wouldn't describe them as scratchy. With a light hand I could write for a long time with one of their EF nibs.

I'm not a big fan of the CON-40. It's harder to fill with a syringe than the CON-50 and holds less ink. Nevertheless, I'd rather have a free CON-40 with a pen than a CON-20.

If you like the Pilot 78G+ EF, then you're sure to like the Penmanship. I have 2 and the nibs have some feedback, but I wouldn't describe them as scratchy. With a light hand I could write for a long time with one of their EF nibs.

I'm not a big fan of the CON-40. It's harder to fill with a syringe than the CON-50 and holds less ink. Nevertheless, I'd rather have a free CON-40 with a pen than a CON-20.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm fully aligned with your observation on the CON-40. Even when I fill them with a syringe, it is never quite full... it's a shame. So I am buying a ton of CON-50 where and when I can! Nevertheless, considering my old 78G came with CON-20, it is an improvement.

I have not had the pleasure to try the Penmaship. Wish I had though. I bought the EF Pilot 78G+ for my husband because it looks like the kind of pen he would like: black, slick yet unpretentious. He does not like attention trapping pens and this seemed like his thing. He has in fact used it daily since I switched the nib to F.

Will post a more complete review on the main page. Since there is the big switch to the CON-40 converter I think it is also worth talking about it.

Thanks for the info you posted about the 78G+ and I think a new thread about these pens is a great idea.

Above, you mentioned posting "a complete review on the main page". Could you please put a link to it in a post here?

I have taken the EF nib from a Wing Sung 659 ($9 Chinese pen purchased on Ebay) and mounted it

in one of my original 78G's with satisfactory results and use it most of the time now. On Rhodia dot or grid paper it has been a decent writer, neither scratchy nor too dry.

Below is a link to the Wing Sung 659 on Ebay. I am not affiliated to the seller in any way except by buying one from him.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331877789256?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the Cat did it

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Interesting about swapping WingSung nibs with the 78G.

Here in China the WingSung nibs can be bought individually and I think this was a common way to make a 78G EF before the 78G+ came out with that option. Judging by various reviews, it seems to be hit or miss with getting a good WingSung nib.

Of and as always, they needed to be cleaned and the twines separated with a brass sheet.

I've never had to do this with any of my old 78Gs. Did you separate the tines because the pens were writing too dry for your taste or was the pen actually unable to write properly when it arrived? I'm wondering if they adjustment made the pens write with a broader line than originally.

Also, what thickness of brass sheet did you use and what procedure? I may need to do the same when I get one in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all the informative posts! :D

I've never had to do this with any of my old 78Gs. Did you separate the tines because the pens were writing too dry for your taste or was the pen actually unable to write properly when it arrived? I'm wondering if they adjustment made the pens write with a broader line than originally.

Also, what thickness of brass sheet did you use and what procedure? I may need to do the same when I get one in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all the informative posts! :D

Both pens wrote well straight out of the box but they had a tendency to have a bit of hard starts and we prefer wetter nibs. I used the brass sheet purchased at The Goulet Pen Co. according to the site they are 0.002 inches thick.

https://www.goulet Pens.com/-brass-sheets/p/GP-10012

For 4$ they are reasonably priced in my opinion. Though you may find it better to buy a larger sheet for the same price and make it yourself (I found out recently that I could buy it at an art supply shop here in Paris).

Anyhow, its past midnight, I am dead tired and did not have time to post... but will try to do so tomorrow... I should have a bit more time in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

My 78G+ just came in the mail today and I've got good news below for 78G fans...

To answer my original post, here's a very brief and sloppy comparison of the Pilot 78G and 78G+ with medium nib.

fpn_1491399033__78g_78g-plus_comparison.

If some day 78G's get sold out or become insanely overpriced, have no fear, the 78G+ is just as good a writer.

Your G looks a little more wet than the G+

I think it's because I had just filled the G+ via the converter (not dipping the nib/feed in the ink) while the G has been inked and running with a fully saturated feed for a week already. The G is already covered in nib creep, but not get the G+. Maybe I'll do another check in a few days. I'm just glad the nibs on both feel equally smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it come in an italic?

The B nibs are really italic. They don't have any tipping and give wonderful line variation with some spring (I won't say flex). You should be able to find a B roughly equivalent to .9 stub, or in the 78G, I know there are BBs available on ebay and they're about 1.3 italic stub. I've had great luck with these pens and the nibs are superior to Pilots current cheapo line of stiffer stainless steel nibs in the Metro, Prera, Plumex, et al. BTW, because it keeps coming up, Pilot hasn't changed the basic feed for all these pens in decades: why improve on perfection? But the result is that the nibs are interchangeable across a range of old and new pens.

And as I said, despite some others' problems with fragility, I prefer the older, gold plated in all sizes.

I've had great luck with these pens and the nibs are superior to Pilots current cheapo line of stiffer stainless steel nibs in the Metro, Prera, Plumex, et al. BTW, because it keeps coming up, Pilot hasn't changed the basic feed for all these pens in decades: why improve on perfection? But the result is that the nibs are interchangeable across a range of old and new pens.

And as I said, despite some others' problems with fragility, I prefer the older, gold plated in all sizes.

I totally agree about the superiority of the plated nibs, with the exception of the Plumix nibs which I've found to be the smoothest out there (they just require a really wet ink).

It seems that the 78G+ has the same gold-colored B nib as the old 78G, but since italic nibs are not popular in China (the target market for the 78G+), I haven't yet found any for sale. Even the M nib costs more than EF and F here.

I tend to buy Plumixes and put their nibs in all my other Pilot pens.

• 3 weeks later...

The B nibs are really italic. They don't have any tipping and give wonderful line variation with some spring (I won't say flex). You should be able to find a B roughly equivalent to .9 stub, or in the 78G, I know there are BBs available on ebay and they're about 1.3 italic stub. I've had great luck with these pens and the nibs are superior to Pilots current cheapo line of stiffer stainless steel nibs in the Metro, Prera, Plumex, et al. BTW, because it keeps coming up, Pilot hasn't changed the basic feed for all these pens in decades: why improve on perfection? But the result is that the nibs are interchangeable across a range of old and new pens.

Absolutely! Just got an extra set of the old 78G B and BB from Japan. They are my favorite italic and I keep going back to them.

Absolutely! Just got an extra set of the old 78G B and BB from Japan. They are my favorite italic and I keep going back to them.

Did you have to adjust the flow on the B and BB nibs? I got a 78G B and the nib is so dry as to be almost unusable. Even gusher inks require some pressure to write consistently l. I had wanted to get a BB as well, but was afraid the problem would be even worse since the nib would require even more ink that the feed might not be able to deliver. Would love to here how you get those Misti be great writers.

By contrast, the Plumix nibs have worked fine in every pen I've put them in, just so long as the ink isn't dry.

• 3 months later...

Any idea what's up with the eBay pricing on these? The 78G could be had for about $10 shipped, and the 78G+ is (now) twice that. I hadn't looked before so am curious if they've always been that much, or just a shortage of them at the moment. Not that I need one as I stocked up in anticipation of them being discontinued, but I would like that blue.