Alt-Bordeaux - Rohrer & Klingner

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner operates since 1892. At the moment it's the fifth generation of the family that manages the company. I guess that after 122 years they know what they are doing.

R&K inks offer amazing quality for amazing price. In my country a bnottle of R&K ink costs 5-6 $. I know it's a bit more expensive in America, yet I believe the price is still reasonable.

I find it interesting that Rohrer & Klingner seems to focus mainly on the content and not on the bottles. Inks come in industrial looking bottle taht is quite handy but there's just nothing fancy about it. It's surprising.

http://www.rohrer-klingner.de/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/schreibtinte_top_03.jpg

Anyway they offer eighteen colors, some stunning, some boring but all have good qualities and are easy to clean.

1. Alt-bordeaux
  2. Alt-Goldgrun
  3. Blu Mare
  4. Blue Permanent
  5. Cassia
  6. Fernambuc
  7. Helianthus
  8. Leipziger-Schwarz
  9. Magenta
  10. Morinda
  11. Royal Blue
  12. Salix
  13. Scabiosa
  14. Sepia
  15. Smaragdgrun
  16. Solferino
  17. Verdigris
  18. Verdura

It's time to re-review this inks.

fpn_1487018551__altbordeaux_rk_bottle.jp

Alt-Bordeaux a pleasant wine color that leans strongly toward purple. There's noticeable shading and the flow is moderataly wet. The ink isn't heavily saturated but I'm not sure if I could call it muted or subdued. I guess in some pens it tends to look flat. It is very easy to clean out of your pen.

fpn_1487018563__altbordeaux_is.jpg

The dry time is medium length, reaching 15 seconds when the ink is used in wet nib on paper like Rhodia. It lacks water resistance but cleans nicely from the pen. Some feathering may be experienced on crappy paper (Moleskine and alikes).

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1487018578__alt-bordeaux_kalendarz_7

Software ID

fpn_1487018598__altbordeaux_rk_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1487018607__altbordeaux_rk_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Lamy 2000, medium nib

fpn_1487018622__altbordeaux_rk_t_1.jpg

fpn_1487018642__altbordeaux_rk_t_2.jpg

fpn_1487018663__altbordeaux_rk_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Skyline Sport, double broad

fpn_1487018681__altbordeaux_rk_l_1.jpg

fpn_1487018700__altbordeaux_rk_l_2.jpg

fpn_1487018718__altbordeaux_rk_l_5.jpg

Maruman, Kaweco Skyline Sport, broad

fpn_1487019009__altbordeaux_rk_maruman.j

fpn_1487018736__altbordeaux_rk_maruman2.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Uncial

• T4TEXAS

• Manalto

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, as always, for a fine review. I like very much R&K's 'Alt Goldgrun' and have my eye out for another color from that company. For my purposes, this is too much of a "statement" color for me to get much use out of it, but it's pleasant to see here.

On my monitor, it looks more Welch's than wine.

Edited by Manalto

James

Redder, darker would be better for me. Thanks.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

This one is a hmmm -- maybe. If the color I'm seeing on my screen is accurate to what your scan is, it's a lot like PR Arabian Rose (which I though I would like and then didn't really...).

Thanks for the review, though. Inks which I can pass on is better for my budget.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."