An Ink Similar To A Caucasian Flesh Tone?

Aysun

I know. It's going to be tough to find, but she did say "mermaid" and it would like pretty with the purple-blue-green iridescent fish scales that I keep imagining.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Manalto

• Aysun

• pen2paper

How about one of these colors (thanks to Julie329) mixed with Whiteness of the Whale?

fpn_1487000700__fullsizerender_7.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

See I would have suggested Noodler's Tanned Armadillo, but I don't know where she will find it.

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/attachments/2012-10-16_005.jpg

Nice mandala-Tiffany window, Amberlea!

Any skin-tone-colored ink that's chosen will need highlights and shading to breathe life into it, so the base color will at first have a plastic, uniform appearance.

Do mermaids sun themselves on the rocks and develop deep, bronzy tans (nice with purple-green-blue irridescent scales), or do they escape notice (and the sun's rays) by remaining in their aquatic world during the day resulting in translucent, milky-white complexions? Or do they vary, just like we terrestrials?

Edited by Manalto

James

The Callifolio series from L'Artisan might be a good place to look. They aren't very saturated, so you'd have less diluting to do but still be able to get the shading. For a more orange base, Cannelle (review 2) is an option, for a pinker base, Sepia, or for a yellow base, Huere Doree (review 2). Be sure to scroll down with the reviews; I think the formula for Sepia changed & there is a re-review in the comments.

When Crayola, commendably early in the civil rights age, decided that "Flesh" was not a tactful name for a color in the basic box, they renamed it Peach. So, perhaps Diamine Peach Haze?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22405/5-times-crayola-fired-their-crayons

http://www.andersonpens.com/Diamine-Peach-Haze-Fountain-Pen-Ink-80ml-Bottle-p/7099.htm

I had an ink made for me by Tekker (now defunct) with a hex number taken from a photo of me. Unfortunately, the ink spilled all over the desk, and is now lost, but it was a perfect match to my skin.

At the time, I realized that it was a perfect duplicate of "Silly Putty" and that's what I called it:

fpn_1487040977__fpn_1471704382__2016-08-

I was going to recommend J. Herbin Rouille D'ancre, as well. I was actually quite disappointed when I tried my bottle out- I fell in love with the images in some of the reviews here, but the colour in person (from my bottle) turned out to be really light, peach-y pink coloured.

It is funny to me that blue-green-purple iridescent scales were brought up given that my tail is blue with hints of green and purple iridescence.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/WeepingPiano/_DSC3932_2016_zpsa67n10me.jpg

*not just a crazy person*

I have business cards. So I guess that makes me officially a crazy person.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It certainly gives me a lot to think about.

I will keep you updated with my findings if anyone is interested.

What a wonderful photo! Why did you make us wait so long to see it?

Definitely keep us posted on the progress of your illustration! I'd love to see it.

Edited by Manalto

James

Lovely photo! In art school the formula was a base of yellow ochre with washes of red (alizarin crimson to cadmium red) on top, depending on the model's complexion. I had similar coloring to the Dublin girls when I lived there, but I was just a little more yellow from the California sun. When they got drunk they flushed deep carnation, which was a lot like the sunburned bather but even purer. I haven't thought about this stuff in years.

Hmm, Herbin Rouille D'ancre looks more like British Light Caucasian (ie. Sunburnt Pom) on Bondi Beach after a bright, sunshiny day.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LeovZkix47k/UWqSZfCeumI/AAAAAAAAAN4/zwclSrM2n_4/s1600/article-1194664-056E9C72000005DC-0_468x425.jpg

Maybe not the desired effect...

Perhaps Noodler's Whiteness of the Whale with a bit of the Rouille D'ancre or any other light red or pinky ink mixed in.

Or me after 15 minutes! Is hard to tell where white socks end and my legs begin. Other than arms and head, sunlight does this body not see.

Peace and Understanding

Why not just use any old (favourite) colour of ink like blue, blue-black, purple... dum dee dum... but on a skin-coloured paper?

Hmmm?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Noodler's might name it "White As A Dead Fish". The gentleman above is Diamine Ruby.

I think the monochrome Caucasian is a myth.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

You know, it hit me as I was reading tonight, I saw an article on msn.com today (2/15) about a professional mermaid.Odd coincidence don't you think?

Good luck with your search for the perfect color for your book. I really have no suggestions of color or colors that might work to achieve what you are looking for.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

It is funny to me that blue-green-purple iridescent scales were brought up given that my tail is blue with hints of green and purple iridescence.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/WeepingPiano/_DSC3932_2016_zpsa67n10me.jpg

*not just a crazy person*

I have business cards. So I guess that makes me officially a crazy person.

Thank you all for the suggestions. It certainly gives me a lot to think about.

I will keep you updated with my findings if anyone is interested.

YOU ARE STUNNING!!!

Please show us your findings.