Robert Oster Caffe Crema

julia239

This ink has potential, but the lubrication isn't great. I felt rushed using it because even brief pauses resulted in false starts. It really didn't feel like I was using a Robert Oster ink. This review was done from a sample, so perhaps that affected the lubrication in some way.

The color & shading are interesting. The sheen is so-so & I couldn't get a good picture of it, but I tried to describe it.

There is more feathering on the Original Crown Mill than I realized - not very much, but I don't recall there being any when I did the review. Maybe it settled in to the paper as it dried?

fpn_1486677788__ro_caffe_crema_001.jpg

fpn_1486677805__ro_caffe_crema_002.jpg

fpn_1486677888__ro_caffe_crema_006.jpg

fpn_1486677982__ro_caffe_crema_007.jpg

fpn_1486677859__ro_caffe_crema_005.jpg

fpn_1486677842__ro_caffe_crema_004.jpg

fpn_1486677824__ro_caffe_crema_003.jpg

Edited by julia239

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julia239

• Bhavna

• Manalto

• kronos77

A warm, pleasant color for ink. Is there something one can add to correct the lubrication problem? Did I read somewhere about a drop of dish detergent, or was that for something else?

Thanks for the review!

James

I have this in a rather dry Parker Duofold (and a Pensive Pens custom pen) and I don't have any lubrication issues. The ink runs smoothly and it's wet enough for me. I don't get hard starting issues unless I leave the pen for quite a while without use. Interesting that you're seeing issues but I'm not!

I have this in a rather dry Parker Duofold (and a Pensive Pens custom pen) and I don't have any lubrication issues. The ink runs smoothly and it's wet enough for me. I don't get hard starting issues unless I leave the pen for quite a while without use. Interesting that you're seeing issues but I'm not!

It definitely seemed atypical for a Robert Oster ink; I've never had any problems with any other RO inks. I edited the review to include that it was done from a sample; maybe the sample was affected in some way that caused the lubrication issues. I'm glad that you haven't had the same problems; hopefully it's isolated.

A warm, pleasant color for ink. Is there something one can add to correct the lubrication problem? Did I read somewhere about a drop of dish detergent, or was that for something else?

Thanks for the review!

I don't know about using it for lubrication; I use it sometimes to clean pens when plain water isn't enough.

I'll check it out.

Thank you for your great review. I am not particularly fond of the brown color, though.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I received this as a sample from Vanness with a recent order and like the color quite a bit. You might try a drop or two of Photo-Flo to improve the flow/lubrication. Also, Organic Studios makes an additive called Flow-plus which also increases flow/lubrication as well as suppressing mold growth. Thanks for an excellent review.

Mary

Deep caramel.

The sample I received from Vanness seems much darker, and much less like coffee with cream —more like a chocolate brown. Perhaps it's a sample that sat for a long time, or something. I'll have to try it again, now that I see Julia239's nice review.

Edited by HalloweenHJB

The sample I received from Vanness seems much darker, and much less like coffee with cream —more like a chocolate brown. Perhaps it's a sample that sat for a long time, or something. I'll have to try it again, now that I see Julia239's nice review.

Caffe crema (the foamy layer on top of freshly made espresso coffee) would be darker than coffee with cream. To me it looks just like the OPs scans.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Thank you for the review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Caffe crema (the foamy layer on top of freshly made espresso coffee) would be darker than coffee with cream. To me it looks just like the OPs scans.

Ah, I see. I was thinking that the Italian "caffe crema" would be similar to the Argentine "café con crema" (coffee with a large dollop of heavy cream on top that you then mix in). That's why I was expecting something lighter.

Since monitors can play tricks on us, can you describe the color or colors in a bit more detail?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I was traveling. I'm not very good at describing colors, so I used a glass dip pen to compare some other brown colors; if you have any of them, maybe they'll work as a reference. (Sorry about the quality - cell phone photo.) Caffe Crema is a somewhat lighter brown with a little bit of orange in it; it leans toward golden brown with the orange in it. It is not a red brown or a green brown. I would probably call it a caramel color or maybe a toasted marshmallow.

fpn_1487000700__fullsizerender_7.jpg

Julie, check out this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/318820-an-ink-similar-to-a-caucasian-flesh-tone/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3788569. I copied your photo over to it, and I'd love to see your input.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Julie, check out this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/318820-an-ink-similar-to-a-caucasian-flesh-tone/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3788569. I copied your photo over to it, and I'd love to see your input.

Thanks, my first thought is some of the Callifolio line. My second thought is, "I want to be a professional mermaid."

Really useful review, your handwriting brings out the shading very well. First thought: it does look like coffee with a little creme... In fact exactly what I just had... Coatepec long espresso with carnation milk. Second thought: would I tell this apart from Lie de Thé? And then you compare them, perfect! They are distinct but perhaps not enough to justify it for me... But it's a very nice looking ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Amazing review, you have beautiful and mesmerising handwriting. This looks like a lovely ink, I do like the colour but am put off by the dryness/ hard starts you mention. I just don't have time to faff with unwilling inks, what a shame.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Thanks for the review. Interesting color. I immediately thought it was close to Herbin's Lie de thé. Then you posted the comparison and it seems to be different from Lie de thé... My bottle of LdT is much lighter and has more yellow than your writing sample - perhaps Herbin changed their formula (or maybe it's just my monitor).