I LOVE Noodler's Baystate Blue. In my humble opinion, it is the best color of blue for fountain pens. My only complaints about it are:

• It is not fully bulletproof.
  • It might not be eternal meaning it might not archival nor fade resistant.
  • It bleeds through most of my papers I use including my checks.

Rectifying the above are very important to me. I would not be ashamed to try a different brand of ink, but I do really like Noodler's products so I guess I am a Noodler's fanboy :)

I am thinking about ordering a bottle of Noodler's Bad Blue Heron which appears to have what Baystate Blue is missing above other than it is not quite the same color.

Noodler's Upper Ganges also might be an alternative, but it does not appear to be as bright as Bad Blue Heron.

Noodler's Luxury Blue looks just like Upper Ganges to me, but will glow under UV light which I find kind of cool, but it is not important to me.

Noodler's Periwinkle does what Luxury Blue does and kind of looks brighter, but the stock image on the Noodler's Ink website makes it hard to tell.

Noodler's Polar Blue looks like Bad Blue Heron with the added possible benefits of being freeze-resistant and lubing piston-fill pens.

So my question is what comes close to Baystate Blue that is bulletproof. eternal, and doesn't bleed through most papers?

I did a search and found this thread about this subject, but it lists alternatives which are not really pertinent to my question above and things have changed in 6 years:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/185947-baystate-blue-alternative/

THANKS!

Edited by NORVIN

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• NORVIN

• inkstainedruth

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Platinum Pigment Blue is a permanently permanent pigment blue that is as intense as BSB, but not as vivid.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Haven't tried a lot of the inks that you're considering. But I can tell you that Upper Ganges Blue is a lot lighter than BSB, not NEARLY as vibrant, and is very flat and chalky looking. :sick:

It's going to depend on what characteristic(s) are most desirable. If you want the color and vibrancy, you won't find much like it (J Herbin Eclat de Saphir is a close color match but has pretty much zero water resistance). Noodler's Liberty's Elysium (Goulet Pens exclusive) is more water resistant and a pretty color but not quite as bright (there really isn't anything quite as vibrant a blue as BSB, but I like Liberty's Elysium because it's not as purple leaning as BSB).

If you want really waterproof (and don't mind that it's a different color) have a look at R&K Documentus Hellblau (which is supposed to be archival as well). If you want to stick with Noodler's inks, got to the link here: http://noodlersink.com/noodlers-ink-properties/ and download the .pdf chart of their inks (which lists which ones are bulletproof, archival, etc.). Then check for review of the various inks you're interested in here (you can find a list on the pinned Index to the Ink Review Forum).

Hope this helps.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Norvin, none of those inks are like BSB. Some of my first posts were asking if any ink was like BSB. I've now tried more than a thousand inks and no ink is like BSB. The inks which are also retina searing, aren't as blue.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_127-BSB.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This was my mix which was bright, wet, water resistant and fade resistant.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2013-Ink_813.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Here are some of the inks mentioned above.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_159.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_222.jpg

And here is another mix which is water resistant and fade resistant.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2014-Ink_268.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Colors/Blue/slides/2012-08-20-washed_001.jpg

Oh, and Periwinkle is awful IMO.

Oh, and if you want Armageddon resistant, you want KTC. It is fade proof, waterproof, dirt proof and idiot proof. It's not however bright and shiny.

Check out the blue link in my signature and see if you like a particular blue and you can probably make it more water resistant.

Oh, and if you want Armageddon resistant, you want KTC. It is fade proof, waterproof, dirt proof and idiot proof. It's not however bright and shiny.

Kung Te Cheng *also* has a tendency for nib creep to the point of clogging, and hard starting unless it's a daily user (and maybe even then) it's so saturated. I keep trying to find a replacement that is better behaved, the way NORVIN is try to find a a more permanent replacement to BSB. I'm starting to think I'm on a fool's errand. Because I'm becoming increasingly convinced there is no substitute for KTC....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the samples and advice all. Yes it seems like there is no replacement for Baystate Blue. Who knows? Maybe Noodler's will have a version of it in the future making it fully bulletproof and eternal.

EDIT:

This is a pretty interesting comparison and I might give Noodler's Liberty Elysium (Goulet Pen only) a try:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2012/05/noodlers-libertys-elysium.html

Edited by NORVIN

Kung Te Cheng *also* has a tendency for nib creep to the point of clogging, and hard starting unless it's a daily user (and maybe even then) it's so saturated. I keep trying to find a replacement that is better behaved, the way NORVIN is try to find a a more permanent replacement to BSB. I'm starting to think I'm on a fool's errand. Because I'm becoming increasingly convinced there is no substitute for KTC....

I've fallen in love with KTC as a daily carry ink as well. Had it in a Charlie Pen, but the pen had a problem with blurping every few lines. So I converted my Sheaffer School Pen to an eyedropper and have KTC in it. That seems to have done the trick. I add a drop of Cuddles Flo in the middle of the fill and that seems have taken care of the clog problems I was having. At least so far. I am considering this a ink:pen test run. But so far, this is giving me he most confidence. Next to Air Corp Blue Black, this is an ink I seem to always want at the ready.

Thanks for the samples and advice all. Yes it seems like there is no replacement for Baystate Blue. Who knows? Maybe Noodler's will have a version of it in the future making it fully bulletproof and eternal.

EDIT:

This is a pretty interesting comparison and I might give Noodler's Liberty Elysium (Goulet Pen only) a try:

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2012/05/noodlers-libertys-elysium.html

You can see Liberty Elysium in the samples above. It's nice, but it doesn't motivate me like BSB. What makes BSB amazing is that obnoxiously bright color. The only color I've ever seen like it is blue Sharpie.

Everytime I use KTC or write about KTC, I think about you and I have coined the phrase Armageddon Resistant in your honor. :)

BTW, Cuddles Flo does help.

Hello NORVIN,

Seriously... the closest match I've found is a blue Sharpie... if Newell Rubbermaid would take that dye and put it into a fountain ink; they'd have a smash hit!

- Anthony

Everytime I use KTC or write about KTC, I think about you and I have coined the phrase Armageddon Resistant in your honor. :)

BTW, Cuddles Flo does help.

Does it change the color? When I dilute KTC with water, it gets more purple and I lose the lovely indigo blue part. (I was going to ask if it was still available, but I see that Vanness has it in stock.)

You only need a tiny bit of CF or Photo Flo. I haven't noticed a change in color like I did with water because I added more water.

On an episode of Antiques Roadshow (UK version) there were some drawings from the '40s and '50s. One of them was signed in this absolutely brilliant blue that is probably the ink that Radiant Blue is supposed to replicate. And this was after 60+ years in storage.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I love BSB, I've recently got a 4.5oz bottle with a Charlie Pen, my experience has been good so far with the ink and the Charlie Pen. I'll have to agree that the ink depending on what type of paper you are using bleeds and feathers. I usually use this ink at work and since most of the paper there is low quality the ink fails on giving me a polished writing.

I've have found when I initial invoice paper the ink makes a ghost effect after 30min that I've write on that type of paper, which is quite interesting. I will post soon some samples on what I'm trying to say, but overall I like using it, the blue color is very bright and standouts from everyone else pen at work LOL! They ask me: "What type of pen are you using?" I just say: "A Noodlers!" and then they get more intrigue...LOL!!!

FP's: Noodler's Charlie Pen, Noodler's King Philip Ahab, JinHao X450 Blue, JinHao X750 Gold, Jinhao 599 Transparent, Hero 366 Green, Hero 9626, Hero 329-A Jinhao Shark Black and Green,Jinhao 992 Coffee, Lamy Safari Black, Lanbitou /2 Transparent/ 1 Black /1 Red/1 Beige, Hero 9075 Black, Twsbi Go Saphire, Jinhao Porcelain Horses, Pilot Vanishing Point Black
INKS: Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Baystate Blue - Apache Sunset - Bullet Proof Black - Blue Nose Bear - Black Swan In Australian Roses - Widow Maker - 54th Massachusetts - Navajo Turquoise - Burning Rome - General of The Armies
OTHER INKS: Thortons - Green / Pelikan-Blue / J. Herbin 1670- Ocean Blue / Diamine Skulls and Roses