Round Circle On 149 Pen Cap?

Garkeen

I think it is quite well known that MB pens were using this triangle logo for Middle East markets during 70s (I understand that this topic had been discussed several times years ago)

post-133993-0-58335500-1486438967_thumb.jpg

Or maybe using this 5 point start

post-133993-0-54826800-1486439013.jpg

On the other hand, I have also read about round circle logo as well, but so far never have the luck to see any photos of that round circle logo on a MB pen online.

Recently, I was able to spot a MB 149, with that round circle on it

post-133993-0-92685100-1486439264_thumb.jpg

post-133993-0-90524500-1486439425_thumb.jpg

Any chance you can tell me, whether it is a genuine MB pen or not?

Thank you very much.

Edited by Garkeen

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garkeen

• niksch

• Bakudir

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never seen one on a modern MB. I have seen circular replacement tops on very old pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have seen one at a market in a country that was vast market. That pen was one of two items that I didn't buy that I regret to this day.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I have seen one at a market in a country that was vast market. That pen was one of two items that I didn't buy that I regret to this day.

Thank you for confirming that The round circle logo does exist in this world!!!!

There is another non-American pen manufacturer that sells pens with circle emblem. But the parts are not interchangeable. I saw what I saw, and even with allof my government paid trips to a variety of countries, I have not seen another.

Thank a Veteran.

Max, Tom, or Axel can hopefully provide more information.

Thank a Veteran.

I can confirm the existence of several versions to avoid a 6 pointed star.

Just from my memory I have seen:

a five pointed white star (on Meisterstück pens 142, 144, 146 and 149 from the 1950th),

a white dot (on a 149 and on some 12, 14, 72, 74, 82 and 84 from the 1960th) *,

a white triangle (also on a 149 from the 1960th),

just a plain cap top with no sign at all but the Mont Blanc mountain on the cap ring (on several 242, 244, 246 and 252, 254, 256 from the 1950th), I had quite a few of theses and they are pictured in the book of Andy Lambrou "Fountain Pens Of The World",

and a six pointed star with a black line in the middle which covers two points and divide the star in two halves (on some 12, 14, 72, 74, 82, 84, 92 and 94). I used to have a set of the 72 with matching ballpoint and pencil with this unusual "star".

I don't have them in my collection any more and also no pictures at my disposal, sorry.

edited to add another information:

* the white dot was used in the 1960th until Sheaffer complained about the use of their trade mark, the white dot. Then Montblanc switched the sign to the triangle. From 1969 on Montblanc stopped using "false" signs on their cap tops and didn't care any more about the similarity of the 6-pointed star with the star of David. And they did well with their decision, didn't they?

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I can confirm the existence of several versions to avoid a 6 pointed star.

Just from my memory I have seen:

a five pointed white star (on Meisterstück pens 142, 144, 146 and 149 from the 1950th),

a white dot (on a 149 and on some 12, 14, 72, 74, 82 and 84 from the 1960th) *,

a white triangle (also on a 149 from the 1960th),

just a plain cap top with no sign at all but the Mont Blanc mountain on the cap ring (on several 242, 244, 246 and 252, 254, 256 from the 1950th), I had quite a few of theses and they are pictured in the book of Andy Lambrou "Fountain Pens Of The World",

and a six pointed star with a black line in the middle which covers two points and divide the star in two halves (on some 12, 14, 72, 74, 82, 84, 92 and 94). I used to have a set of the 72 with matching ballpoint and pencil with this unusual "star".

I don't have them in my collection any more and also no pictures at my disposal, sorry.

edited to add another information:

* the white dot was used in the 1960th until Sheaffer complained about the use of their trade mark, the white dot. Then Montblanc switched the sign to the triangle. From 1969 on Montblanc stopped using "false" signs on their cap tops and didn't care any more about the similarity of the 6-pointed star with the star of David. And they did well with their decision, didn't they?

This is really really helpful information!!!!

And you really know so well about this topic!

Thank you so much !!

Thanks for sharing. It is a good looking pen. Where did you end up finding it? I think there is a story to share. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for sharing. It is a good looking pen. Where did you end up finding it? I think there is a story to share. :)

I am hoping it was found and purchased in a remote Austrian alpine village bookstore.

I love a good story.

Do tell.

Please.

Edited by meiers

this is show and tell, is it not?

Well,

Actually, I was not really sure that this is a genuine MB when I first saw it.

But I recall that I saw something about round circle MB logo here long long time ago (but without any pictures available)

So I have to come here for confirmation.

I am hoping it was found and purchased in a remote Austrian alpine village bookstore.

I love a good story.

Do tell.

Please.

The story was:

I was looking for some Sailor naginata togi pen on TaoBao (the Chinese online store website)

Suddenly, I spotted this MB in the same online shop.

The shop owner has no idea on what the white spot meant at all

(In the item description: the cap logo was changed to a white circle when I got this pen, the original white flower might be damaged or lost)

But I was thinking: "who would be dumb enough to replace with a white spot, instead of using the original white flower?" "So, the white spot should be there since manufactured"

Anyway, the shop owner was really happy when I was buying this pen, thinking that I am helping them to cleanup a junk item.

(I have tried to explain what this white spot is - but the owner was not convinced by my explanation, still keep his belief that pen is just a junk item)

Therefore, I placed my order happily at a relatively reasonable price

Evem the shopkeeper ended up happy! Nice pen!

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• 5 years later...

Greetings,

I realize I am joining this discussion quite late, but the pen in the photo is a recent purchase. I hoped offering a photo of a MB 264, with a white cap dot might be of interest to others who had participated in this conversation. I appreciate the information and comments already shared. Very informative, thank you. I reached out to MB on 5th Avenue, NY, in case they might be interested. They were a bit stymied, and admitted they had never heard of a "White dot" on a Montblanc pen. 

1669113149157.thumb.jpg.83ae55e23322583b7d21a0658d704c21.jpg

1669112944501.jpg