Have I Been An Idiot?

TradeWind

I got a Safari for my birthday in August last year, a Dark Lilac. Considering the fact that it's rare, should I have just kept it aside and used my other pens and not have used it as an everyday workhorse? Naturally, it's got scratches at the back of the barrel because I posted and unposted it too much. And they're deep. I just liked how it looked and probably will get the new petrol Safari. I need to justify my conscience.

Edited by TradeWind

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lamb South

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Pens are to be used. Scratches are beauty marks. Bottom line - if you like writing with it, why the angst?

Pens are to be used. Scratches are beauty marks. Bottom line - if you like writing with it, why the angst?

couldn't have said it better.

Personally, I think all pens should be used.

Pens are instruments which are designed to be used. While some are expensive, really pretty and are essentially a piece of art or a statement, they are still pens! Their primary function is to be written with, not to be displayed. Of course, some pens are used more than others. I use my Fountain K everyday, it's been with me through all my exams and has been on hiking and cycling trips - the thing's been drenched in rain water and in a river, it truly has been used and 'abused'. Meanwhile my M205, CH74, along with my vintage pens, stay at home cuddled within a nice protective case. However, they still get used too!! I tend to write with all 8 pens everyday. While some look fancier and nicer than others, they should be used - maybe not taken traveling etc. but still.

If you like writing with that Safari then write with it! I wouldn't worry about the rarity or how much it's worth, just enjoy it! Of course, I wouldn't exactly treat it badly deliberately, but one shouldn't be scared about using a pen.

Anyway, that's my opinion :)

Edited by Kolyd

Your conscience is clear. While it's certainly true that you could have kept it mint and sold it for more money in a few years, it's also true that you got this pen for your birthday--either from yourself or from someone else--and it's intention was to be used as a pen.

If you're going to feel guilty about using a Lamy Safari--likely among the least expensive pens you will own--then why use any pen? You might as well keep them all locked away.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Hello Trade Winds,

Your question takes me back in time... my older brothers always used to by two of everything... records, magazines, etc. One to use and one to preserve. This was back in the '70s & '80s. Today, I can't tell you what happened to all the duplicates; I'm not sure if they could even tell you. :D

I can also understand wanting to keep your stuff looking nice... I like to use my pens, but by the same token, I don't like my things to look like a bunch of beat-up junk... so i do try to be careful.

But there also comes a time when you have to ask: Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you?

The Bottom Line: The pen is already beat-up, so it's a moot point... enjoy using it and don't look back. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The gift surely was intended as a pen to use, not as an investment. Don't feel sorry. Show it your love by using it. Use it many years to come. When it gets too old and weak, you may get a new one. But keep the old one.

So I have done it with my first Lamy Safari umbra. It got glossy, cracked and retired, but is still in my box as an old friend.

Edited by Astron

Some people seem to need to post. I for my part prefer my Safaris and Al-Stars unpostet.

I just read an interview with a writer today, who when asked about her collection of books in her personal library said, "I treat my books like I treat my shoes: The more I love them, the shoddier they become." When asked the best book she had received as a gift, she replied, a signed edition of WOMEN IN LOVE. "There is a mark on it where Lawrence rested his pen after signing it." When I had a bed & breakfast, I had a couple stay with me & the husband was a librarian @ a University; he said he always purchased 3 copies of ANY book for his own library, "One to read, one to share/loan & another to shelve." I am just different, I have things to enjoy & recently sent away a 50 # box of books, some 30 works by two different writers that I had read & decided to send to a friend for her "turn." They are gone to another reader now; she & her husband, both readers, have two residences which will provide a new home for these books.

I think the Lamy Dark Lilac, will not see such increase in value, for mint condition, that it should preclude your enjoyment of the pen. I use mine & enjoy it; i also purchased one of the last "limited/special editions" from a pen maker that has now stopped manufacturer. It was only one of 90 pens produced & hence might have a greater chance of accrued value; yet it was filled & used the day I received it. I wouldn't have had any use for it had it had to live in a box.

You were given a pen, enjoyed using it & are considering another one; I say you have made the best use of the gift & deserve a clear conscience. I gave a friend an expensive handbag when she had her first baby. It was to be used as a sort of carry all for the baby's things; today the same bag sells for 10 times it's initial cost, her baby is a happily married attorney, with two beautiful children. She got her use of the bag & it made me happy to see it in use.

I got a Safari for my birthday in August last year, a Dark Lilac. Considering the fact that it's rare, should I have just kept it aside and used my other pens and not have used it as an everyday workhorse? Naturally, it's got scratches at the back of the barrel because I posted and unposted it too much. And they're deep. I just liked how it looked and probably will get the new petrol Safari. I need to justify my conscience.

TradeWind..Welcome aboard. Enjoy your time here. Hope to see you 'round.

Re: proving right or wrong

Well..only the person in the mirror {that's you} can do.

Congratulations on your new{ish} Lamy fountain pen and utilizing as intended.

That's good.

Oh..by the way what ink are you usin' in your Lamy?

Still your friend and mine..

Fred

Holy bat guano..Robin.

Ladies and Gents please excuse the Dreaded Double Post.

Shinola happens.

Oh..almost forgot with apologies to Alan Napier..too.

Fred

Edited by Freddy

In general, my Lamy Safaris are my workhorse pens. I use my charcoal and my dark lilac as the pens that I carry in my backpack and for on the road. The flat texture and the plastic body seem to be able to absorb a lot of punishment and still look good. That said, there are the inevitable scratches and dings on them. Don't feel bad about those dings and scratches. They give the pen character and make the pen uniquely yours.

For a book, the true value of it comes from the contents, not its condition. For a pen, the true value comes from what you wrote with it, not the pen itself. Use your Lamy without guilt.

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

I'm also of the mindset that a pen is a tool to be used and I use every pen that I buy. Many have said before, just piling on. :D

Love it, use it, keep it, love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!