Faber-Castell Opart White Sand

visvamitra

I consider myself Faber-Castell fan. Their designs may not appeal to everyone but they definitely set them apart from many other pens on the market. Their pens really look unique.

Experience prooves that unique design doesn’t necessarilly go hand in hand with high functionality. Is this the case of F-C fountain pens? Let’s find out.

Packaging

The pen comes in a solid cardboard presentation box. The inner box, which contains the pen, slides out like a drawer. There’s one blue cartridge in the box, but if you want a converter, you have to purchase it separately. This approach irritates me although I undestand that accessories offer nice margin and Faber-Castell want to profit from it. Faber-Castell offers a two-year guarantee on the pen.

The pen

fc_capped2.jpg?w=940

fc_capped.jpg?w=940

fc_capped1.jpg?w=940

The Ambition is sleek-looking modern fountain pen that’s available in variety of finishes and materials. There’s even coconut version I used to have and cherish.

Cilindrical barrel and section are nice, however for some people they may feel awkward in the hand. Sure there is, in theory, shiny chrome section that should, again in theory, allow to grip the pen. The thing is this “section” is more of a design element than something functional. It’s too small to be useful. I tend to hold my pens very close to the nib so I had to adjust myself (and you know that old habits die hard) to another grip.

fc_guilloche.jpg?w=940

fc_pattern.jpg?w=940

fc_cap2.jpg?w=940

fc_cap4.jpg?w=940

fc_end.jpg?w=940

In Op-Art finish slim barrel features a fine engraved, intricate guilloche pattern that produces three dimensional effect.

The cap has a simple clip, an engraved circle on the finial, and Faber-Castell branding engraved on the side. It snaps on very securely and doesn’t require undo force to remove it. The standard generic converter fits into the section tightly. Nothing is loose, rattly, or wobbly. The nib and feed are assembled well. The thing that worries me a bit is plastic inner-cap. I’m just not sure how well it’ll work after, say, three years of constant use? Anyone cares to share experience?

Section

Cilindrical barrel and section are nice, however some people may feel that they feel a bit unusual in the hand. Sure there is, in theory, shiny chrome section that should, again in theory, allow to grip the pen. The thing is this “section” is more of a design element than something functional. It’s too small to be useful. I tend to hold my pens very close to the nib so I had to adjust myself (and you know thatold habits die hard) to another grip.

Nib

luckyorange_bibcrud1.jpg?w=940

The unique-looking steel nib lacks a breather hole, and is stamped with a clean dotted pattern across the face of the nib. It comes in standard sizes: EF, F, M and B. If you want stub or oblique, you’ll have to grind them yourself or with help of someone experienced. Throughout the years I tried all F-C nib sizes and I would describe them, in general terms, as quite rigid, moderately wet and rather smooth. There’s quite a lot of feedback but it’s not unplesant.

Broad nib is very nice and very smooth. It wrote very well out of the box. The line is juicy and generous. I haven’t experienced ink starvation or other problems. I wouldn’t try pressing it strongly to paper in order to get line variations. This nib wasn’t engineered to allow it.

Filling system

fc_con.jpg?w=940

Dimensions

The pen is medium in length (120 mm uncapped) and rather light (15 grams uncapped). The cap is the heaviest piece and I don’t think that posting this pen is reasonable – the pen will feel off-balance.
Summary

While I enjoy Ambition design and I’ve managed to understand the technique of holding it appropriately I don’t think it’s a pen for everybody. The step-down from the barrel to the grip is significant, and the non-existent section will irritate many users.

Additionally it’s not really a cheap pen so it’s not bad idea to see it in person before ordering one. I used to have six Ambitions in different finishes now I have three. I like this pens but they are rarely my first choice.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• senzen

• inotrym

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed a very good (and slightly underestimated) brand. My only gripe is about their caps; something goes wrong and they don't seal that well. I believe that it's something about the clip. If you blow inside the cap, you can actually feel the air leaking.

Also love the white sand pattern.

Thanks for the time you are putting on all those reviews. :)

I experienced all the adaptation problems you mention, and worse, I got it with an EF nib so my handwriting was particularly awful... But one day I realized it actually improved. I stumbled on this white sand design variation some days ago, it's very attractive, your photos are great and very helpful. The only problem is every time I see these variations I cannot help compare them with the pearwood I already have, which is just stunning.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell